View Single Post
Old 14 Feb 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3204311)   #59
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
I remember the Saturday of that meeting, lovely hot day, not a single cloud in the sky, only a gentle breeze. As soon as I took my seat up in the grandstands on the new start/finish straight I was getting out the coats and gloves! Funny old place, Silverstone...

I remember that, visibility was terrible. Really quite surprised they raced at all, particularly the supporting races before the main event when the fog was at its worst.

Plan for WEC then - take rain coats, hats, scarves, gloves, enormous flask of coffee, sunglasses, sun tan lotion and a thin shirt!
I was only there on the Saturday in 2011 and it was superb, probably the best weather I've experienced at Silvers. I still think that as far as atmosphere goes the 2008 FIA GT event was quite something, the fog certainly added something even though it was cold.

If you want to know about nutty Silverstone weather, look no further than last years WSBK races. Went with my brother in law, when we got there it was boiling hot sunshine, that turned into a massive thunderstorm behind the hangar straight and sunshine towards Club. It went lovely, warm and sunny again then another thunderstorm rolled over the circuit bring thunder, lightning and a catastrophic deluge. About an hour later it was sunny again.