View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2023, 00:57 (Ref:4148578)   #1840
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stewart Lines specifically stated that TCR UK won't go hybrid. Too costly, which I can understand with it just getting on it's feet. Plus he said on Facebook he simply doesn't like it.

I guess that means it won't be part of the TCR World Tour anytime soon. They'd have to switch to Kumho tyres, and I imagine by the time that could happen they'd have to be running hybrid.

On the boring old TCR v BTCC thing, it's all about money. Look at TCR this year and it's like BTCC. Some talent at the front, and older drivers with backing at the rear.

As for talent on the other side, the TCR drivers that are prospects are younger than their equivalents in the BTCC, how many really young drivers have made an impact in the last few years in BTCC. Patterson? Great talent, won't go anywhere I fear unless he doubles his budget. Like the post above said, Lewis Kent, had a good BTCC test. Lewis Brown, Jenson Brickley. Alex Ley. Look at that kid. In a year when Smiley walked it (Won two races at opposite ends of the year) Ley won three aged 17.

None of the youngsters in either series re going to get a proper shot like Sutton did in 16/17. I think with finances as they are you're still going to find Turks, Sutton, Ingram and the like getting the top drives.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a Smiley fan, but his 300K budget and unlimited tyres in testing scored less overall points than Issac Smith in a banged up old golf. There is a kid who has the speed and headspace to win in BTCC.

Having said all that, I expect Boardley to win a race at least this year. If you can survive 10th to 20th in BTCC then you can handle the pressure at the front in TCR. Even if it's a reverse grid thing.