View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2923088)   #50
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
1991 was the first year I was able to watch most of the race, thanks to Eurosport's really very good TV coverage - and yes, I can see where a "nearly won it" comment would come from, although I also remember thinking that Schumacher needed a few edges rubbed off before he would really show what he could do in a sportscar - perhaps he has now?
If I recall correctly, Schumacher was in the last Mercedes that had a shot at winning before suffering a mechanical failure that needed lengthy repairs. The Mercedes were the favorites that year and I guess you could say that maybe he should have won it had his car not failed him and his teammates, but we can say that about a lot of people. Anyway, 1991 was just a really goofy year with the wacky rules and such. Since this is an off-topic thread to begin with, I guess it is a legitimate question to ask how seriously people take the 1991 race results. IMO, it was a bit of a farce.