Thread: WEC Glickenhaus Hypercar
View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 2020, 17:41 (Ref:4025288)   #378
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
This discussion may seem a little off-topic in the Glickenhaus thread, but at the same time... In the short to medium term future the only semi-realistic scenario for a resurgence of smaller constructors in sports car racing hinges on the success of the 007 LMH car, since LMH is the only class where one is at least allowed to have a go at it!
If the 007 is somewhat competitive against the big OEMs, that could theoretically entice the Koenigseggs of the world to have a go, perhaps even with a homologated road car. Then we'd see Hypercar the way it was intended to be.

Worst case scenario is turn-key LMDh cars get a favourable BoP and prototype racing as we knew it is over, because why bother construct a prototype when you can be guaranteed competitiveness in what is effectively a generic mass product that was designated to be a benchmark?

You can blame IMSA for this by making DPI a cheap and cheerful formula. Biggest thing I don't like about it is you're flat out not allowed to build your own car or do any major developments to a customer chassis.

I myself favor LMH based on concept alone, but if LMDH is appealing to OEMs, especially with possible cash flow issues from marketing, R&D, or both to motorsports programs, I can't say from my POV that I blame OEMs.

Simply put, too much has changed over the last decade or so. One can say maybe the ACO should just give LMH's slightly better BOP, but with so many OEM's seemingly favoring LMDH, they might not have much of a choice but to create a level playing field. They, as IMSA is doing (and the ACO themselves have often done), will chase factory money and advertising.

Also, if mods or admins think that part of the discussion is better suited elsewhere, feel free to move it to the appropriate area.

Last edited by chernaudi; 26 Dec 2020 at 17:55.