View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2002, 11:54 (Ref:341500)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Any advice for a virgin..

Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
do i need to prep the car?
Yes, but don't worry. Make sure it is in tip top shape. Perhaps, if a road car, get it serviced thoroughly beforehand. If it won't pass an MOT then it isn't ready for the track.

Obviously top up all liquids and check the normal things that you should check for using on the road.

What about tyre pressures? What does your handbook suggest for fast running?

Apart from anything else it will detract from your day if there is a slight problem.
Quote:
are there any ordinary cars at these trackdays? only ever see photos of elises, scoobys, race cars etc
Yes, the last one I went to had an 'A' reg Golf out there. At the same time as Caterhams, Porsches and our XJS racer.

Everyone is (and has to be) very courteous and hopefully your organisers will make sure there aren't too many cars out at once. No one is going to dive past you into a corner because for track days this is not allowed!
Quote:
How quickly do you go through petrol, would half a tank do, for example
Probably! It depend how much running you do. You will use more than on the road, obviously.

I understand that you don't want to start with a full tank, but when you first get out there, does it matter? You will still be driving a car quickly.

How about getting a 5gallon container, just in case?
Quote:
do people treat it like a gp qualifying run, or are people keeping it fairly steady, guess it depends on the organisers?
I don't think anyone goes mad. People are watching. Overtaking limited to the straights, or certain areas where it is really safe to do so. People are courteous and let you
through if you are going quicker. And there is certainly no racing!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rutle
Doesn't get thru' petrol as quickly as it gets thru' brake pads and tyres!
This is certainly true. It depends on your car, the circuit and you! On the day think about your car. Is it's behaviour changing as you do more running. The brakes won't have been used as hard and for as long as they do on the track.

Hope some of that helps.

Oh, and have a great time, I can almost guarantee that you will.