View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2020, 13:20 (Ref:4013721)   #349
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's interesting that an occasional upgrade to a piece of technology is criticised as being expensive in a car, and an iPhone is put forward as a comparison.
I know it is for a different purpose, but how much does it cost each year to keep an iPhone up to date and operating?

From what I can tell, a new model comes out roughly every 12-18 months, with a monthly subscription on top for Apple services, plus line rental. I'm pretty certain that all amounts to more than keeping the ICE/SatNav updated....
£0. Software updates for iPhone and Android phones are free. Software functionality is added completely for free. Both Apple and Google provide GPS directions through their own mapping systems, which are updated continuously without the user doing anything (since its cloud based).

You don't need to buy a new phone for the same reason you don't need to buy a new car every year. It still works. Unlike the car though, the phone will get free updates through its life time. The car will not. And even if you do buy a new iPhone, you don't need a flagship phone. The SE is £400 without a contract. Android phones can be much cheaper. And everyone generally has a phone for other use anyway.