Old 14 Oct 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3465115)   #74
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Craik View Post
Well, my wife Frances is back today, I hope she likes having an LMP car in her office

The sharp eyed amoung you might have noticed my problem, there are two steering racks...

My chassis 00-002 only raced in 2000, its career ended in the fire at Le Mans. At the end of 2000 several of the remaining cars were midified to 2001 spec. Among the changes were an attempt to lighten the cars, including replacing the original power steering with a simple steering rack. They mounted this new rack right at the front of the tub and the steering arm now attached to the front side of the uprights.

In my recent trip out to Kim Bakers, I obtained many parts, including hubs, axles and suspension arms for all four corners. These parts are all 2001 spec.

It seems to me that I should go with the 2001 steering rack, simple and works with the front uprights I have, but I hate to modify this chassis, as it is a somewhat historical piece.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

I think this problem might just have solved itself....

As you can see in the photo, the new front rack is quite a bit lower than the original (rear) rack, additionally the pinion on the new rack comes off the bottom. I have taken a good look from the cockpit and it looks to me like the steering shaft from the new rack will just clear the original rack, so no mods will be nessessary!

Very cool!