View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3971336)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
Likewise, some good thoughts.

I think a little optimistic on the numbers though. As there is going to be a fairly large economic recession/depression following on the heels of this virus.

That raises the question of, who will pay for all this new racing? Even the rich people will be losing big time on their investments, and after having laid off many of their workforce, can a company be viewed as being ethically responsible, if they are seen to be spending money on motor sports?

I think we will need to be very open minded about what we would like to see, and what is possible.

I do agree that perhaps some type of open top class can work, with a variety of different cars, but that would be a bit of a nightmare trying to balance things! I do not believe there is any future of a new class for Hypercars, likewise, the timing will likely prove wrong in trying to establish LMDh also, on both sides of the Atlantic.

There is going to be probably a quite large contraction within motor sports for some years to come, caused by both economics and the governmental control over crowds of people, fear of the virus breaking out again, not to mention travel restrictions.

Life as we knew it before this, will not be returning over night, neither will racing.

Keep the thoughts coming in
Those were the numbers I expect for Le Mans, for 2021 WEC maybe five Oreca 07s to follow the 3-4 LMHs, and for ELMS max of 8-10 Oreca 07s. The rest of the grid will be filled with GTE-AM Ferraris and Porsches, or in the case of regionals, LMP3. There must be over hundred LMP3 cars and teams out there in the world, even if 75% of them are killed off by the financial meltdown, the numbers should still suffice to "fill the grid". It will be the new mix of LMPC and GTC in one. Also, to increase the attractiveness of LMP3, I suspect extra Le Mans LMP2 invites will also be added to the class, and/or Michelin Le Mans Cup is shut down to fuel ELMS entry list

As for the question of who is funding it, I feel there is one easy answer they've already invented, and that is sticker rebadging. By offering discount sponsorship deals for boutique car manufacturers, such as I don't know Venturi, or perhaps even larger ones, the (Oreca 07) teams will get part of the funding that way. ACO is already encouraging that direction anyway

The LMdH thing should sadly survive as in the core it's very cheap and they don't need to invent the wheel for 2022. The spec hybrid system won't be dependent on teams either. Moderate amount of OEM marketing cash from GM and some others will keep it going after Toyota has bailed out after winning 2020 (LMP1), 2021 and likely 2022

Last edited by Deleted; 17 Apr 2020 at 13:23.