View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3980003)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I agree that the sounds are important and play a part in choosing favourites. However it is a secondary consideration, the primary aim of a race car is to win. That is what gives it it’s “soul”. Boy did those Audi’s have that. Maybe not the superficial passion, but the deep rooted racing soul where real passion sits.

Oh and V12s sound ace, but V8s, turbo flat sixes, even 4s and everything else in between, or outside, along with quiet, loud, rotary and turbine all have their place.
I remember seeing the 1-series diesel that was in the BTCC a few years ago. It stood out (not just because of being way off pace) because it was so quiet in comparison to the other cars.
When it went past though, because it was so far off the pace, it was regularly away from the pack. That meant you could hear it in isolation, and there was a definite sound of it's own that gave a sense of power being delivered, just in a different manner.

Did I prefer it to the petrol cars? No.
Would I have accepted it if it became the standard? Yes.

As you say, each sound has its place and can be enjoyed for differing reasons. For me, it's not always the sound of an engine though but sometimes the feeling it gives too.