Old 20 Jul 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2729522)   #156
Jody Firth
Rookie

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Jody Firth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Difficult to comment on the race with the lack of any meaningful tv coverage, but there appeared to be some excellent battles once again amongst the GT2 competitors. The pace of the Aston was particularly impressive.......I wonder how much of that was down to the tyres?

Must offer my congratulations to Warren Hughes and Jody Firth. Warren was without doubt the class of the FLM field, but Jody did everything that was asked of him, kept out of trouble and posted some very respectable lap times. I sense they would have won the class even if their adversaries hadn't contrived to self destruct and present the win to them on a plate. Let's hope we see this driver combination move up to P2 in the not too distant future!
Thanks for the kind words Bentley. It took us both quite a while to get on terms with the car. They are very very different to a P2, very quirky! Once we got our heads around it we were fine. Quali didn't go well as a particular handling difficulty prevented Warren from exploiting it fully, hence only 6th (I know you'll be particularly dissapointted because of the predictions competition! ). We resolved this issue in warm up and enabled us both to drive more to our potential.

First two stints of Warren's went well and just about got a lap lead, I jumped in and was told to take it easy and pick a 90% lap time that I could just rattle off, which I did. The only issue we had as a team was a coupke of louvres broke which required two nose changes. I had an issue in all three of my stints in that the seat belts came of my HANS device and therefore I wasn't strapped in properly (don't tell the ACO ) which makes it incredibly hard to drive. No hands driving down the straights trying to strap yourself back in is not advisable!

Anyway, great result to finish 6th overall, we had that class won dispite everyone else doing thee best not to finish. Our pace along proved that. So for my first Le Mans Series race, first time ever sat in a FLM car in first free practice, first time driving at night, it wasnt't a bad debut at all!!