Old 20 Jan 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3494382)   #22
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
pantah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mystery Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
There were a total of 16 Mk2 chassis built but only 8 survived. We now know the location of 3 and a fourth seems to have materialised in the last couple of weeks. My car was entered in the Targa Florio in 1970 and 1971 as well as Nurburgring 1000 so has a nice history. I ran it last season with World Sportscar Masters but blew the engine at the Silverstone Classic and it is now being rebuilt with a Lotus twincam (I was running a BDA which was not period correct). I have a lot of pictures as well as a huge amount of history on all the cars but not with me at present (I'm away from home).

The son of Daren founder John Green has a website with some background on them - take a look at http://www.darencars.co.uk/daren1.html

Dave Green also owns one of the remaining Mk2s.

I'm also in regular contact with David Sewell who built the cars. Also Peter Richardson (who ran my car in period), Arthur Collier (another owner in period) etc. David Sewell is threatening to produce a history of Daren.

Another contact is Eli Solomon who owns the only Mk1 built. There are photos of my car as well as other Darens on Eli's website http://www.currypotproductions.com although not too many of the Mk2s.

What is your interest in Darens?

Roger
Roger. I realise a LONG time has passed since this was all written, but I bought a bare chassis from 'Kale' in Germany a few years back. Tube framed throughout (no square section). The rear end I am guessing had been very badly damaged at some time and had been the subject of very rough repair and modification. It came with bodywork identical to the MK2, and looks very original. Despite being painted red (many times!) the original gelcoat is a sort of yellow / orange. No one has ever been able to identify the chassis, and I am unable to find a photo of a MK2 to compare it with. Do you have any?