Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 May 2024, 02:41 (Ref:4209763)   #451
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05 View Post
Interesting listening to AVL about his little meeting with Barry Ryan on the weekend on his podcast this morning
He seems to be quite upset at being shirt fronted by Mr Ryan... in front of the team... and calling it out as 'cheap shot' amongst other things. Mr Van Leeuwen reckons its never happened to him before in 20 years of his career, being invited into the Erebus garage and have the events occur.

The assertion that Mr Ryan called upon team individuals on stating their years of service is interesting, however the Erebus social media showed several team faces talking about their length of service, looking for all the world happy to do so.

Having had the same experience personally at a certain 4 car main game team, a former 3 time main game championship winner and indeed a former WooPS owner... and a few others... at the time each was no fun at times... two of them were great in the end however.. the third.. oh well.. And a certain editor of his competitor was quite excitable one day as well..

To suggest it never happens to anyone else is odd. Or perhaps that the journalists employed to report arent delving into a depth where it hurts the protagoists and providing the genuine news.

All of that said... if it amounts to an equivalent of workplace bullying, and there may be some underlying inference of physical threat of restricted egress, and as a holder of a V8Supercar Hard Card, Mr Van Leeuwen would likely have had the option of making a formal complaint to V8Supercar proper, with a view to calling on censuring and BTSID-ing the proponents after an investigation by the appropriate parties had taken place

It would be nearly impossible to argue that the working relationship between the journalist and team isnt now cactus... which does the series nor the team any good...

Perhaps Ms Kiely was involved as Mr Ryan's minder... and the team is now poorer for not having that buffer between the team machinations and the outside world.

Wonder what AA's podcast will make of this...
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 21 May 2024, 03:49 (Ref:4209773)   #452
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 21 May 2024, 04:31 (Ref:4209777)   #453
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does nothing to dispel the myth that the Erebus work environment is stuck in the 1970s. Attempting to shoot the messenger doesn’t hide the cluster**** that has occurred on the current ownership and management’s watch.
Old 21 May 2024, 05:46 (Ref:4209784)   #454
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely the attempt to blow up Andrew van Leeuwen in the Erebus pit by Barry Ryan is absurd in the extreme? It seems that Ryan (also claimed to have sent abusive text messages to AVL and other journalists previously) is unprofessional in the extreme...
Old 21 May 2024, 06:37 (Ref:4209790)   #455
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
He seems to be quite upset at being shirt fronted by Mr Ryan... in front of the team... and calling it out as 'cheap shot' amongst other things. Mr Van Leeuwen reckons its never happened to him before in 20 years of his career, being invited into the Erebus garage and have the events occur.
Forgot about your past "experiences".

The thing is, if Barry was trying to convey the point he is not a bully, he only confirmed the fact to everyone.

I wonder if any of the assembled minions were trying to blink "SOS" to AVL.
Old 21 May 2024, 08:43 (Ref:4209800)   #456
Ares
Racer

Ares should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Betty still trying to sneak out the backdoor? Spend over a decade trying to climb to the top, gets there and wants out the very next season. If true it looks very dodgy. Was it going to be to expensive to get rid of the little man with the huge chip in his shoulder? A few things that have been said over the last month or so.
A sponsor saying they couldn't afford to have there brand associated with Erebus?

Dane's 180 on his first opinion piece. One minute he's talking toxic workplace... Next minute, it's all over nothing to see here. Everyone needs to move on now. Everyone should to thank Paul for saving us all.

Podcast the other week with Morris and Dane. Morris comes out with a comment from out of nowhere, Morris makes a comment about Erebus cheating... Considering Morris is probably the closest person outside of BK and Team Erebus to this saga. I'd have to watch it again, but Dane looked a bit shocked that Paul just popped out with that comment. Dane's reply was he didn't think Erebus were cheating? Nothing more said on the subject, shut down quick. So, what is that all about??

Supercars still talking mental health, Yet I don't think I've seen or read Morris saying anything about mental health issues? I don't even think Dane has said much or anything along those lines either?

After all this time, that dead rat is still running around. Is it going to run up betty's leg?
Old 21 May 2024, 11:17 (Ref:4209821)   #457
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

A clever variation of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Almost suggesting people shouldn’t have opinions.
Old 21 May 2024, 20:22 (Ref:4209892)   #458
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AVL has been pretty “showy” since his move to speedcafe, he’s certainly used this as a good platform for his podcast. Some might say he happily poked the bear, blind Freddy would have seen nothing good was going to come from accepting an invite in the Erebus garage.

Journos having arguments with team bosses is nothing new, not sure why AVL has decided to take this one so public. He’s a bit touchy since the story dropped perhaps? He’s certainly touchy to any criticism of his work on Twitter.

Can you imagine a Phil Rothfield or Damien Barrett having a whinge about anything like that? This would be a weekly occurrence for footy journos

Australian Motorsport has had it easy for decades when it comes to the media, particularly in the last 15 years where it’s able to have been further massaged by Supercars own media outlet.

AVL’s style since moving to speedcafe has been far more “nrl/afl”, things aren’t getting swept under the carpet with complicit journos as much, it’s great to see, hopefully the likes of sleuth and AA start adopting the same approach if they want to be taken seriously as sporting media and not as PR for their friends & wanting to protect their favourite series.
Old 22 May 2024, 00:11 (Ref:4209909)   #459
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Another aggrieved.. there are channels within V8Supercars to deal with these things of course…

Story Here
Old 22 May 2024, 08:21 (Ref:4209944)   #460
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ryan under microscope over post-race exchange (V8 Sleuth)
Old 22 May 2024, 08:41 (Ref:4209946)   #461
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweet Jesus, handbags at 30 paces behind the bus shelter!

New supercar rules in operations manual for Darwin, no pinching, no pulling hair, no scratching, no name calling, pulling faces, or you will sent to bed early without tea!
Old 24 May 2024, 06:50 (Ref:4210136)   #462
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Journos having arguments with team bosses is nothing new, not sure why AVL has decided to take this one so public. He’s a bit touchy since the story dropped perhaps?
AVL said he would not have mentioned a private spray/abuse from Barry or any other team manager as happens regularly to journalists as you suggest.

But this was done in front of 20+ team members, so it's not a private conversation and he's not gonna get sued for reporting something with so many witnesses of the situation.
Old 24 May 2024, 07:36 (Ref:4210142)   #463
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barry just Jumped the Shark.

I have defended him in the past but this is exactly what he should not have done, given the circumstances.

He IS stuck in the 70s because this manner came to him via Larry Perkins and to him from The Fox.
Old 24 May 2024, 08:54 (Ref:4210153)   #464
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AVL might be better off going and writing for New Idea magazine.

What did he expect from Barry, a man hug and a cup of peppermint tea?
Old 24 May 2024, 09:17 (Ref:4210157)   #465
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A one on one shirt front would draw no comment, but deliberately belittling and blaming someone in the front of the whole team?

This is a man not taking responsibility for his role in the problems. Blaming AVL for all of it.
Old 24 May 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4210161)   #466
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
A one on one shirt front would draw no comment, but deliberately belittling and blaming someone in the front of the whole team?

This is a man not taking responsibility for his role in the problems. Blaming AVL for all of it.
Myths always need a devil in residence to perpetuate them.
Mr Van Leeuwen is the nominated devil.

I just hope the team with its happy happy joy joy smiles get their fundamental effluent sorted to the extent that Mr Hazelwood can take out both Sandown AND Bathurst….!
Old 27 May 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4210682)   #467
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Errrrrr….
Old 28 May 2024, 02:44 (Ref:4210743)   #468
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A non-compete legal threat disguised, perhaps?