Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jun 2024, 12:13 (Ref:4212571)   #801
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was probably a European Championship round.
I seem to remember the excuse for the Fiat's opening the rear hatch was for cooling purposes but in fact it really was for better aero.
Old 9 Jun 2024, 12:24 (Ref:4212574)   #802
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was probably a European Championship round in the late 60s.
I seem to remember the excuse for the Fiat's opening the rear hatch was for cooling purposes but in fact it really was for better aero.

I has a good day out at HSCC Donington Park yesterday. Only the second race meeting I've been to in 4 years.
Good racing in the Derek Bell race and the FF and FF2000 races with close finishes in all three. A good field of 35 cars in the combined Historic Saloons and Roadsports race too with plenty of place changes throughout the field and a scare at the start as an Elan in trouble off the line forced several others in to taking to the grass in avoidance. Very pleasant weather too.

Donington looked in good shape but a lot going on setting up for the Download festival next weekend. Loads and loads of tents, yurts, airstream caravans going up presumably to be rented out to festival goers. I expect the locals on here will be able to tell us all about it later.

Last edited by morninggents; 9 Jun 2024 at 12:31.
Old 9 Jun 2024, 12:26 (Ref:4212576)   #803
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Just checked and the Willhire races were in the 80s . So still a long time ago and not sure which they were . But remember several Abarths running .
I think you are probably thinking of the European 500km race when three ran very quickly, I think from memory winning their class. I remember them sliding in echelon through Coram!

Happy Days, as someone once said.
Old 9 Jun 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4212590)   #804
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I think you are probably thinking of the European 500km race when three ran very quickly, I think from memory winning their class. I remember them sliding in echelon through Coram!

Happy Days, as someone once said.
You are probably right .
It was 40 odd years ago so details are not easy to remember .
But I did think it was an endurance race of several hours long , and could remember the little Fiats with relatively soft suspension and a lot of body roll but looking a bit odd with the boot lid up in the air .
Old 9 Jun 2024, 14:45 (Ref:4212622)   #805
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here you go!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jun 2024, 16:24 (Ref:4212664)   #806
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's dozens of Fiat-Abarth videos on You Tube, so here's one of them:

https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBUyCKOSnso
Old 9 Jun 2024, 17:36 (Ref:4212681)   #807
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That’s another track ticked off . The 500 guys are brilliant . I had a great couple of races . So now the long journey home but big smile .?
Old 9 Jun 2024, 19:57 (Ref:4212719)   #808
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's so good that you smile after all these years. A true breath of fresh air in motor sport. Keep going, Iain!

Old 10 Jun 2024, 19:50 (Ref:4212920)   #809
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

Donington looked in good shape but a lot going on setting up for the Download festival next weekend. Loads and loads of tents, yurts, airstream caravans going up presumably to be rented out to festival goers. I expect the locals on here will be able to tell us all about it later.
Not looking forward to the inevitable traffic grid lock.
Don’t care about the music but do object to the unofficial “DJ sets” every night in the camp sites until 2 in the morning, or similar.

The mess and throw away tents etc that is left behind is also galling when the media try to portray our youth as being largely environmentally responsible.

Surprised that JP still allows it TBH, as we know he is precious about his grass; must be a very good earner for the circuit.
Old Today, 09:33 (Ref:4213103)   #810
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been a bit quiet on here, so , just to wind Bauble up a bit , I thought I would return to the TITS and NUTS thing we had a little while ago .

Got a bird feeder in the garden and having a constant battle with squirrels .
At first they managed to jump from the fence to get on it . About a 6 foot leap .
So moved it a bit further away .
Then they managed to shin up the metal pole , so tried greasing it .Quite funny to watch , but after a few tries they wiped enough grease off to get up .
Then I tried putting a couple of plastic bottles on the pole . Worked for a while , but then , with a long run up and jump , they managed to get past them .
So now have 4 plastic bottles on the pole and often watch to see if they have any new ideas .
But it is amazing how they can think out new ways to get at the NUTS .
Old Today, 11:02 (Ref:4213106)   #811
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What might work is boring a hole through the middle of a large round plastic mixing bowl, and secure it upside down on the pole quite near the feeder station.

However, squirrels are the most ingenious and infuriating little devils. Years ago, we found that a female had made a nest inside our loft having made a hole in the soffit whilst hanging upside down from the gutter. Once she and all the kits had left, a builder who was doing an extension for us at the time, repaired the soffit. This, however, incensed the mother who spent hours sitting on the fence near the exterior kitchen door screaming at the top of her voice even though we made sure that all the kits had gone, and inspecting all the wiring through the loft.
Old Today, 11:24 (Ref:4213107)   #812
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The squirrels, hedgehogs and most of the frogs we used to see regularly in the gardens around here have disappeared.

Also the foxes have become extremely rare visitors when once they appeared daily.

It's probably because the "village" boundary has moved about half a mile or more West with housing and even further out to the river and quarries with industrial development.

Still, no squirrel problems to deal with these days ... just 75k of temporary visitors and about another 5000 staff and construction teams for a week or two.
Old Today, 12:08 (Ref:4213110)   #813
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
What might work is boring a hole through the middle of a large round plastic mixing bowl, and secure it upside down on the pole quite near the feeder station.

However, squirrels are the most ingenious and infuriating little devils. Years ago, we found that a female had made a nest inside our loft having made a hole in the soffit whilst hanging upside down from the gutter. Once she and all the kits had left, a builder who was doing an extension for us at the time, repaired the soffit. This, however, incensed the mother who spent hours sitting on the fence near the exterior kitchen door screaming at the top of her voice even though we made sure that all the kits had gone, and inspecting all the wiring through the loft.
I have seen a plastic bowl type thing used on the bird feeders in the past .
But I do like to just make it a little bit harder each time , and see how long it takes for them to figure out how to get there again .
As you say , they are very ingenious little devils and sometimes very amusing .
Old Today, 15:20 (Ref:4213146)   #814
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I have seen a plastic bowl type thing used on the bird feeders in the past .
But I do like to just make it a little bit harder each time , and see how long it takes for them to figure out how to get there again .
As you say , they are very ingenious little devils and sometimes very amusing .
We've got a number of bird feeders in our garden and also have squirrels who visit us and devour the peanuts.
To be honest, we don't mind the squirrels, they're quite cute, it's the big fat aggressive bullying pigeons that get on our nerves, not just for their attitude to the smaller birds, the mess they make by barging into the feeders by barging into them making the contents spill out so they can eat them off the floor, plus the mess they make as a result of eating all of this bird food If you understand what I mean).
If anyone knows of an effective way of scaring away the pigeons without frightening the other birds I would be glad to know.
Old Today, 15:32 (Ref:4213147)   #815
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
https://stock.adobe.com/fr/images/no...sign/502647576
Like you, I don't like the idea that consists in feeding a bird then find his droppings on the bonnet of my car!
Old Today, 16:19 (Ref:4213155)   #816
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Viv, I have seen feeders that have the food container inside a frame that allows smaller birds, the robins, Tits, etc, to get to the food but the larger birds such as pigeons can't get through. I think that that is really the only answer, and one that I saw had a base between the food container and the external frame so that any spills were contained within the feeder.
Old Today, 16:30 (Ref:4213156)   #817
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
We've got a number of bird feeders in our garden and also have squirrels who visit us and devour the peanuts.
To be honest, we don't mind the squirrels, they're quite cute, it's the big fat aggressive bullying pigeons that get on our nerves, not just for their attitude to the smaller birds, the mess they make by barging into the feeders by barging into them making the contents spill out so they can eat them off the floor, plus the mess they make as a result of eating all of this bird food If you understand what I mean).
If anyone knows of an effective way of scaring away the pigeons without frightening the other birds I would be glad to know.
Like you , I get lots of birds coming into the feeders .Great Tits , [ there, I got that one in ,] Blue Tits , Blackbirds , Woodpeckers , Robins etc .
What I have done is to put another tray about 6 inches above the tray with the peanuts and stuff in , that does seem to have the effect of stopping the bigger birds , Woodpigeons , Magpies etc from landing there and taking all of the food .
Old Today, 22:36 (Ref:4213324)   #818
midgetman
Veteran

We stopped feeding birds when our elderly laissez-faire cats died and were replaced with two inquisitive kittens. It seemed unfair to invite them into the firing line...

No tits here just pussies, as Mrs Slocombe would have said.