Justin outpaced Jos...

Saturday quals and race...

Good for him.
Old 4 May 2003, 15:35 (Ref:589208)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't worry, I'm sure Steve will have an excuse as to why.

Justin has been sensational so far this season, he's battled on merit with some experienced guys in much better cars. The people clamouring for him to be given a chance(including yours truly) have proved right - this guy's the real deal.
Old 4 May 2003, 15:43 (Ref:589216)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be honest & say i had my doubts on Wilson this season but he has been super impressive.
Old 4 May 2003, 16:06 (Ref:589237)   #4
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As far as I remember, Wilson was faster than Jos during most sessions this weekend.
(I quess friday qualifications and saturday warmup were the only exceptions)

It's hard to say who was faster during the race.
During their first stint, Wilson was faster.
During the second stint, Jos was faster.
And if Jos' third pit stop wouldn't have taken 100 seconds, they would have been close after that.

After Jos' 3rd pit stop, initially Jos was faster, but after they were lapped again (Wilson was driving something like 5 seconds behind Jos, with Jos 1 lap down) Jos slowed down.
Old 4 May 2003, 16:09 (Ref:589242)   #5
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Wilson's done well compared to Verstappen. Verstappen's been pretty ordinary so far...what happened to the "Jos Starts" that we were seeing a few years back...
Old 4 May 2003, 16:11 (Ref:589246)   #6
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah but isn't the car awful! All understeer and oversteer...both drivers deserve better!

Great launch JW!...who needs L/C?
Old 4 May 2003, 16:16 (Ref:589254)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was Jos' first regular start of the season. The commentator for Dutch TV ensured the viewers that Jos' hadn't lost his touch in finding his way through the first corner. Jos came through in 13th. He failed to mention at that point, that Wilson went through in ninth! Thats 4 out of 5 races that Wilson pulls this off. In this race, he was on a long second stint. His second pitstop was in lap 39, 10 laps after Jos' second pitstop. Still he managed to maintain acceptable speed.

It's still hard to say which one of them is quicker in the Minardi PS-03, but Wilson is impressive. Allthough I admit of having low expectations from him.
Old 4 May 2003, 16:25 (Ref:589262)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin is great! Up to ninth after another amazing start... how does he manage that? Good start by Jos too, going on NiceGuyEddie's post, I hadn't noticed that.

Justin beat Webber fair and square in his championship year in F3000, so I'm not really surprised by his performances, based on how good Mark has performed. I wish Minardi had a better car...
Old 4 May 2003, 18:43 (Ref:589362)   #9
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well....lets dump Ralf out of Williams and/or DC out of McLaren and find out for sure if he is any cop.
Old 4 May 2003, 18:56 (Ref:589370)   #10
Queenie
Rookie

Queenie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a shame that the cameramen don't let us see the starts Justin has been getting. I bet they are great viewing.
Old 4 May 2003, 21:09 (Ref:589528)   #11
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
...what happened to the "Jos Starts" that we were seeing a few years back...
Well from 18th to 9th for Wilson - I think Jos handed them over. But Jos has not done too badly off the line either...
Old 5 May 2003, 05:44 (Ref:589764)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Justin. Keep it up.

Could we see him in a better car next year?
Old 5 May 2003, 06:05 (Ref:589771)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Justin has been performing superbly in the Minardi, and his starts to each race have been truly exceptional.
Old 5 May 2003, 16:22 (Ref:590140)   #14
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Yeah Wilson's done well compared to Verstappen. Verstappen's been pretty ordinary so far...what happened to the "Jos Starts" that we were seeing a few years back...
Maybe the reason is that with Arrows he often had very light cars and drove most of the races with 2 stops, even those where most drivers made 1 stop.
Old 5 May 2003, 21:31 (Ref:590374)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been touting Justin's abilities for awhile now(I know,I'm a real psychic!) He has consistently beaten Jos off the line in every race and worked his way into the mid-field like nobody else. Talk about traction control! He seems to get all that the Minardi has to give, whereas Jos has struggled in his ride.

It makes me wonder who the rookie really is?!

If he could just qualify that damn Minardi better, who knows, he may score some points!

Danica Patrick
Old 6 May 2003, 04:47 (Ref:590540)   #16
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But will he ever get competitive machinary? probably not. Put him in the 2nd Jag and let him rejoin battle with webber! Stodard would release him for a couple of slabs of vb (more likley a reduction in next years engine costs)

webber is relativly tall i think, theres probably not more that 30cms between them so he might fit.
Old 6 May 2003, 06:21 (Ref:590563)   #17
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
He has consistently beaten Jos off the line in every race and worked his way into the mid-field like nobody else.
Until now, there has been 2 races in which both of them started from the grid. At the start, Jos was faster once, and Wilson was faster once.

Both of them seem to be starting faster than the cars that have launch control.
Old 6 May 2003, 12:49 (Ref:590909)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 6 May 2003, 13:03 (Ref:590940)   #19
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hurrah, good for justin Wilson, and Ralf Firman.
Old 7 May 2003, 18:36 (Ref:592674)   #20
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
This was Jos' first regular start of the season. The commentator for Dutch TV ensured the viewers that Jos' hadn't lost his touch in finding his way through the first corner. Jos came through in 13th. He failed to mention at that point, that Wilson went through in ninth! Thats 4 out of 5 races that Wilson pulls this off. In this race, he was on a long second stint. His second pitstop was in lap 39, 10 laps after Jos' second pitstop. Still he managed to maintain acceptable speed.

It's still hard to say which one of them is quicker in the Minardi PS-03, but Wilson is impressive. Allthough I admit of having low expectations from him.
Jos was ahead of Justin after the first corner but had to slow down because of the Trulli/DC incident, that is when Justin passed him. and like said above: Jos's car had an electronic problem wich caused the car to stall 3 times, wich caused a very long pitstop(where his other pits laps where timed at 1.47, his 3rd pit lap was 2.40, that's 53 seconds longer.......)
Old 7 May 2003, 18:37 (Ref:592676)   #21
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and don't forget: Justin is doing so good because Jos is a driver who shares his setup info, not all rookies have such teammates(just ask "jungle boy")
Old 7 May 2003, 19:24 (Ref:592726)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
... a driver who shares his setup info, not all rookies have such teammates(just ask "jungle boy")
Off topic, I know, but really?
Old 7 May 2003, 20:39 (Ref:592814)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
Jos was ahead of Justin after the first corner but had to slow down because of the Trulli/DC incident, that is when Justin passed him.
Justin was ahead of Jos at the start but had to slow down because of Pizzonia standing still, that is when Jos passed him.
Old 8 May 2003, 06:54 (Ref:593106)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who gives a ****? They both had good starts, both raced hard, Jos had slow stops, both had strong races, and how on Earth do you know Mark Webber doesn't share information (I'd doubt he'd have much say in it)?
Old 8 May 2003, 07:10 (Ref:593122)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
and don't forget: Justin is doing so good because Jos is a driver who shares his setup info, not all rookies have such teammates(just ask "jungle boy")
Mark Webber opened up all his settings to Alex Yoong last year, why would we presume that the same data isnt available to Antonio Pizzonia??

If Pizzonia was as good as setting up a car as Team Willie & Gerhard Berger think he is, why isnt he throwing the car on pole at every race?