Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Jun 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2487141)   #1
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Alan.F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big Thx to Fazza and Co

I just want to say and big thanks to Fazza/Gravel Monkey and others for there concern and professionalism today . I had the scariest(SP?) moment of my life today and i am not afraid to say it scared the **** out of me as this is my first taste of a very close high speed impact.

Thx Guys (and Girls from rescue unit)

Alan
Old 20 Jun 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2487151)   #2
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How on earth did that get there!? Everyone OK I take it?
Old 20 Jun 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2487163)   #3
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
I had the scariest(SP?) moment of my life today and i am not afraid to say it scared the **** out of me as this is my first taste of a very close high speed impact.

Alan
I think most of us would have been scared to a certain degree, and for your first it couldn't get much closer.

Take it this was why the tyre wall rebuild estimate was "tomorrow"
Old 20 Jun 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2487168)   #4
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phew. Close shave, but you were in good company with that crew.

Glad everyone was ok too.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2487173)   #5
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a big well done to all the crew at Island today very calmly dealt with, heart rate went up a tad when I saw the car heading right at you all.

Thanks to rescue for a prmpt response and fire 1 .

Fazza
Old 20 Jun 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2487176)   #6
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
definetly a brown pants moment watchin that comin straight in at us. the bloody debris was even closer. dont know how close the flyin wheel was to alan.
apart from the legend very good day on post and as always a great laugh on post.

extra thanks to all the guys and rescue/fire who helped with that legend.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2487314)   #7
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Avenue and heard the calls for backup, was very concerned at first but then as it all settled down was very releaved that everyone was ok.

Still cant work out how the hell it managed to park it there!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2487384)   #8
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to all for dealing with the flying legend. (and other barrier bending incidents around the circuit).
Good days racing by all even if it looked like the 2CVs needed a push up Clay Hill at times.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2487414)   #9
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i watched this incident happen from the safety of the fire truck,and it looked very scarey.a big well done to all the marshal,s involved who handled the incident in both a professional,and calm manner.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2487447)   #10
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar114 View Post
even if it looked like the 2CVs needed a push up Clay Hill at times.

They were going quite fast enough through Old Hall!!

Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2487479)   #11
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPhoto View Post
They were going quite fast enough through Old Hall!!
So your photos demonstrate!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2487493)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
saw the tyre marks on the way out of the circuit. alan, i've flagged that point and know exactly what you've been through, having a close call with a morgan last year. its a wickedly quick part of the circuit and i guess a little contact sent the car straight towards you all. i wouldn't be at all surprised to see a debris fence there in the not too distant future, and i for one would welcome it

had a cracking time on knickerbrook for the first time in ages yesterday. a lot of fairly new marshals, was good to get to know some new faces and catch up with older ones (no offence Garry!). Probably broke the record for "Most Steve's on one post" with FIVE - made remembering names a lot easier anyway

Best moment of the day was seeing the smile on the faces of people that had not seen Legends racing before - now they know exactly why i love their meetings
Old 21 Jun 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2487648)   #13
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Close call for you guys down there. You coming to Croft for the legends in a few weekends time Alan? Or put off for life now? Good to hear everyone is ok!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2487700)   #14
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhall View Post
Close call for you guys down there. You coming to Croft for the legends in a few weekends time Alan? Or put off for life now? Good to hear everyone is ok!
I am still a bit shook up today and at this moment in time i am really considering my future as a Marshal tbh, I really enjoy doing it and have made some cracking new friends, I think i need to get back on the bank sooner rather then later
Old 21 Jun 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2487740)   #15
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think i need to get back on the bank sooner rather then later
That's the best remedy for an incident like this; and also talk about what went on to those around you - as much as you can.

As for getting back on the bank sooner, there's a Caterham festival at Anglesey next weekend!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2487743)   #16
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
Alan my offer is still open. it was close but the thing to remember is that your training and instincst kicked in and you did the right thing. I don't think there was anything else (even a catch fence) would have done in this situation, what was there worked well. I would give it a few more meeting before making and big desissions as you know these incidents are few and far between. If you like we can ask to work the same post again at the next Oulton meeting if that will help you at all. PM or facebook me if you need to talk.

Fazza
Old 21 Jun 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2487763)   #17
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
Have to agree 100% with Fazza, talk to people and get at least several more meetings in before making any decisions on your marshalling future.

Anglesey will be a fantastic meeting this weekend (I am there for the test day and the weekend). If you come along talk to the PC and IO and also the team you are with, air your concerns and rebuild you confidence that things like this don't happen very often and looking at the photo all the reasonable safety steps and measures were in place.

Old 21 Jun 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2487820)   #18
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
have thought the same in the past al. just do what you said matey and what the guys are all saying. youll be fine once your back in the swing of it. stood next to you when it went in, i can honestly say it was a biggy but you will be a better marshal for it. at least we could run matey, think of the poor flaggies in the cage!!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2487843)   #19
Alan.F
Racer

England
Bolton
Thx for the replies guys, i bet you all think i am a right soft lad lol but like i say it has knocked my confidence some what, I dont want to give up but i also dont want to go to pieces and let my colleagues down at the moment i am needed, that is what is worrying me most is that i wont help you or a driver that needs me.

If i just turn up at Anglesey will i be allowed in to Marshal? because i dont think my next Oulton day is until middle of July

Last edited by Alan.F; 21 Jun 2009 at 21:41.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2487859)   #20
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
you definetly will mate, the more the merrier at anglesey, get down there, caterhams all weekend.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2487862)   #21
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thx for the replies guys, i bet you all think i am a right soft lad lol but like i say it has knocked my confidence some what, I dont want to give up but i also dont want to go to pieces and let my colleagues down at the moment i am needed, that is what is worrying me most is that i wont help you or a driver that needs me.

If i just turn up at Anglesey will i be allowed in to Marshal? because i dont think my next Oulton day is until middle of July
You certainly aren't a soft lad at all and none of us would even consider it. You're having a completely normal reaction to the event. I'd also go as far as to say you won't let your fellow Marshals down. All the right instincts and skills would kick in.

As the others have said, come to Anglesey and ease yourself onto the bank again. You'd get more encouragement than you can imagine from all the gang.

Don't forget: One big team.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2487865)   #22
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the lads have said, get back on the bank and talk it through. Thats exactly what I have done after big incdents in the past. We are all mates in orange.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 21 Jun 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2487873)   #23
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soft my eye - anyone having an incident as close as that and said they weren't scared would be a liar. Think of it a bit like an accident in your car, they are rare but if you stop doing something because of something like that it can then turn in to a fear and be much harder to handle.

I had a big accident a few years ago and despite no serious injuries it shook me up quite a lot. I missed my nan's funeral as a result and i forced myself to borrow my sisters car and do the same journey a couple of days later to go see my grandad. Really glad i did otherwise i couldn't have apologised and may have struggled to get my confidence back in the car again.

The first time Ginetta G50s came past me at Croft after dealing with the incident at Oulton a couple of weeks before certainly had me a little nervous. Even more so when Breeze clouted the tyres well over 100mph right in front of me and ended up in the field at the next post. I think it actually helps to make you a better marshal - sometimes you can get complacent, especially on a "dull" post, by having experienced something like that keeps you alert a lot more.

Like the guys have said, chat about it, do at least one other meeting and see how it goes. Even if you did decide to stop marshalling, not one of us would blame you or think any less of you
Old 21 Jun 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2487875)   #24
MasonW
Rookie

United Kingdom
Walton-Le-Dale, Preston
MasonW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at cascades and we saw this one from there because the car went so high, it looked scary but from what i believe no one got hurt, that is the main thing. Alan just put it down to experience, It wont come that close again, We had 2 Legends in the tyre wall together on Saturday at full pelt, broke 2 posts and needed the JCB to push the barrier back up. These things happen few and far between, get back on the bank and enjoy the banter, you will never be on your own.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2488075)   #25
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_08 View Post
You certainly aren't a soft lad at all and none of us would even consider it. You're having a completely normal reaction to the event. I'd also go as far as to say you won't let your fellow Marshals down. All the right instincts and skills would kick in.

As the others have said, come to Anglesey and ease yourself onto the bank again. You'd get more encouragement than you can imagine from all the gang.

Don't forget: One big team.

Could not agree more. a little fear is a very good thing because if you had no fear then you would not remember the first rule of marshalling, your safety first.