Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2417031)   #1
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Car Club - Donington 4 April

Anyone planning on going to marshal and to check out what they are doing for the 2010 Grand Prix?

(If you are planning and haven't volunteered - PM me)
Old 18 Mar 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2418244)   #2
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there, possibly on my own judging by the replies to this thread! I am planning on having a shower honest!!
Old 18 Mar 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2418352)   #3
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Working otherwise I would have come up for this one.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2418966)   #4
paul leedham
Racer

England
Grimsby
paul leedham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there clive, trust you'll be carrying on john's tradition and supplying the old speckled hen
Old 19 Mar 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2418985)   #5
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doubt if Clive will supply Speckled Hen, he is more likely to hoard it!!!!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2419091)   #6
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are you incinerating? I would never hoard the Ol Speck - I'd drink it!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2428766)   #7
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Tickets and passes should be in the post today for next Saturday, as we only received the guarantee from Donington that the meeting will go ahead late friday afternoon. Please do not keep phoning me as if i have any further news i will post it here and on the MGCC website
Old 31 Mar 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2429654)   #8
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Swallow got my tickets this morning, see you saturday.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2429731)   #9
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got mine this morning, looking forward to getting the season started & seeing what's progressing at Donington.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2429748)   #10
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green View Post
Got mine this morning, looking forward to getting the season started & seeing what's progressing at Donington.
Just in the country for a weekend then?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2429943)   #11
dave cam
Rookie

England
Long Eaton,Nottingham
dave cam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will be there , tickets came this morning, weather looks promising so should be a good day
Old 31 Mar 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2429971)   #12
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Donington latest

Donington have today confirmed there will be a track licence issued by the MSA for this weekend's 2 race meetings - the MGCC on Saturday and the HSCC on Sunday.

However there will be no overtaking between McLeans exit and the entry to Coppice corners. Presumably the drivers will be briefed on this and a stationary yellow deployed to remind them. If an incident occurs this can then be upgraded to waved.

So whoever the lucky flaggies are on McLeans and Coppice, hope you have strong arms to hold a flag out all day. (Bet the people who made this decision have never flagged!)
Old 31 Mar 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2430146)   #13
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Just in the country for a weekend then?
A fortnight actually I'll get two weekends marshalling in orange in before we go as practice, the flagging arm needs a refresher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
However there will be no overtaking between McLeans exit and the entry to Coppice corners. Presumably the drivers will be briefed on this and a stationary yellow deployed to remind them. If an incident occurs this can then be upgraded to waved.
So whoever the lucky flaggies are on McLeans and Coppice, hope you have strong arms to hold a flag out all day. (Bet the people who made this decision have never flagged!)
Hopefully the yellow lights haven't been disconnected, and these can be used (blue book reg about using lights instead of flags, anyone?)
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2430484)   #14
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The yellow flag zone is a good idea to allow the meetings to go ahead, but the section between Mcleans and Coppice is so dangerous now, surely a speed limit should be imposed too. There is zero run off at either side of the track now. The tunell entrance and exit nearly touch the track at each side.
If a car runs wide, it will run head on into an earth mound or wall. Also there is no longer any toilets from redgate onwards, they have been de-comissioned.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2430527)   #15
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
The yellow flag zone is a good idea to allow the meetings to go ahead, but the section between Mcleans and Coppice is so dangerous now, surely a speed limit should be imposed too. There is zero run off at either side of the track now. The tunell entrance and exit nearly touch the track at each side.
If a car runs wide, it will run head on into an earth mound or wall. Also there is no longer any toilets from redgate onwards, they have been de-comissioned.
Are you telling me there are no toilets around the circuit at all? If that is the case I am afraid I find it unacceptable and have asked for clarification. Once I receive any information I will pass it on.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2430531)   #16
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

No not anymore, was there last weekend, there is none on the infield any more, all those have been removed. The toilets at Coppice, Mcleans and old hairpin are de-commissioned and closed. There is a set open at Hollywood but it is very small indeed.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2430580)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's scary. If there's no run off and a head on earth bank, you're definitely going to need toilets... (sorry)
Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2430622)   #18
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand the toilets around the outside of the circuit should be working, although not the ones on the infield.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2431444)   #19
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Toilets

I am pleased to advise, as i've been asked to

"the toilets have now been checked at Donington, all are operational, there will be two temporary ones , one by Macleans and the other by the grid."

Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2431581)   #20
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
I have it on good authority that "...this [McLeans to Coppice] is not a normal overtaking point..." so as usual there is a lot of hype and scaremongering prior to the event, but obviously we will be very cautious

There will be a very experienced flag marshal and a very experienced observer as Post Chief to keep an eye on procedures. or should that be two eyes? (each)

Drivers will be briefed beforehand (or probably debriefed afterwards for a good spanking if they are silly?)

If I hear anymore before I leave for Dony tomorrow afternoon I will post it here.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2431586)   #21
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
I have it on good authority that "...this [McLeans to Coppice] is not a normal overtaking point..."

Tell that to Matt Neal
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2434352)   #22
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Clive;2431581][COLOR=DarkOrange]I have it on good authority that "...this [McLeans to Coppice] is not a normal overtaking point..." so as usual there is a lot of hype and scaremongering prior to the event, but obviously we will be very cautious
i dont no where you heard that but the exit of mcleans is a common over taking place as driver can get a good run up throuh schwantz curve
Old 5 Apr 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2434392)   #23
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well yesterday did go ahead, with some good racing.

I do feel though that something will have to be done about the tunnel though.
If usually well behaved club racers can't follow the rule "no overtaking" then what chance do the more "robust" series stand.

Whilst most drivers did not overtake under the yellows I did not feel that many actually slowed down either. It may be my perception being parked in a different place to normal, Outside of 15 as opposed to inside at 16. It may be the drivers were just told not to overtake between McLeans and Coppice.

One car left a nice wheel impression in the earth bank when he hit it sideways.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2435499)   #24
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
On behalf of the MG Car Club, a BIG thanks you to all the marshals who turned up and supported us on what was an interesting and good days racing (on most of the circuit anyway, although a few tried it where they shouldn't have and were requested to see the Clerk). Hope too you enjoyed your first taste of the new safety car regs, and to those of you who didnt stop for a beer afterwards, cheers!