Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2004, 05:13 (Ref:974013)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Frank: JPM is The best overtaker in F1

Frank Williams believes Juan Pablo Montoya is the greatest overtaker on the F1 grid.

He said, "He has his ups and downs but the main thing is that he is a terrific driver and the best passer on the grid. He can see an overtaking opportunity like nobody else - including Michael Schumacher."

I agree with Sir Frank. You?
Old 18 May 2004, 06:23 (Ref:974036)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Oops, the link:

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/21168
Old 18 May 2004, 06:41 (Ref:974046)   #3
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me to, but now, you're about to see zillion of 'overambitious moves' being mentioned here.
Old 18 May 2004, 06:42 (Ref:974048)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's certainly an aggressive overtaker; some of his move have been really spectacular, some others spoiled by an excess of arrogance.
Old 18 May 2004, 07:24 (Ref:974060)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With regard to the overambitiousness (hmm great word ). I think the only difference we are seeing is that this year is that he is going for it more. The Ferrari are so far ahead that he has too.

It is a little like in 1993. Senna was driving overambitiously. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't (to be fair it worked more often than not!).

Overall JPM is probably the best overtaker. No one else stands out for even trying!
Old 18 May 2004, 07:56 (Ref:974081)   #6
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By far the best. Such a shame he is leaving Williams.
Old 18 May 2004, 08:41 (Ref:974112)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe if Williams had been a bit more accomodating he would still be at Williams.
If he had been given a pay rise to fall into line with Ralf he would still be there.
Old 18 May 2004, 08:57 (Ref:974125)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The following from that story is more relevant. (I think it may have been posted elsewhere too).

"In fact Williams believes Montoya is having one of his best season’s in terms of his driving, but the Briton says the performance of the FW26 means we’ve barely seen it.

He said: "He is driving better than ever this year, but I have got to say that we are a little disappointed by the performance of the car."

I agree with this totally. JPM is much more smooth and therefore successful with his driving this year.

And yes I beleive that whilst he may be the best overtaker, he's made comparitivley few passes stick in the past and that's what has cost him in previous years. So its a shame that the car isn't doing what the JPM of this season can obviously achieve.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:02 (Ref:974130)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Kimi is a bit overlooked here, think back to last year, you just KNEW he would get by.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:25 (Ref:974147)   #10
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
The following from that story is more relevant. (I think it may have been posted elsewhere too).
Yup. I had do it too.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...133#post974133

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 18 May 2004 at 09:26.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:14 (Ref:974218)   #11
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i suppose frank'll be thinking he's a great overtaker next year when his cars are being passed by the mclarens.....
Old 18 May 2004, 11:31 (Ref:974233)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
In fact Williams believes Montoya is having one of his best season’s in terms of his driving, but the Briton says the performance of the FW26 means we’ve barely seen it.
I agree with this, he seems to be relaly on form, and it's such a pity he's already been denied 2 podium finishes through no fault of his own. Considering that the car is way behidn the Ferraris, and only about equal witht eh Renaults and BARs, he's been really impressive.

Several of his past moves back up the view on overtaking - Brazil 2001 and Nurburgring last year especially stand out. I noticed on here that he's made more successful mvoes than Ralf this year, which is incredible consdiering their respective qualifying results.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:45 (Ref:974248)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Kimi and Juan are the two most natural racers on the F1 grid. Fernando probably fits into that category as well. Others like Michael, and to a lesser extent Webber and Button have huge talent, but their success is down to things like sheer determination and hard work.

As much as we know it's not true, Kimi and Juan still give the impression that they just rock up to the race track on the weekend, wring the necks of their machines, jump back in their road cars and go home.

Although I must agree that when Montoya is very close behind you, there is a certain inevitability about your fate that few other drivers can muster.
Old 18 May 2004, 15:11 (Ref:974467)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed...Juan is a great driver in terms of overtaking. I agree with Frank that Juan sees opportunities that many drivers can't.

Or rather, he grabs every opportunity and tries to make it work..he doesn't sit and wait, reading his opponent and testing them out...he simply see a gap and stuff his car alongside.. which is honestly a fresh difference - and a good attribute. When he made it successful, it often results in good dramatic looking moves which appeals to fans.

This style, however, must be balanced with expectations that it doesn't always work. Sometimes it may simply be over-estimating a chance, or perhaps simply a rival being caught out unexpectedly and put his car where you don't want him to be...and really, just learn to accept that things work both ways and everything will be fine.

It makes sense doesn't it? You grab every chance you get, but if you expect it to work 100% in favour, it won't be called "chance" anymore...and that's where overtaking can be exciting..we don't know who would come out in front.

Juan definitely deserves praise for his raw instinct, if not 100% execution. Again, the potential to be one great impact to F1's history is all for his taking...it's up to him to improve his whole game and put his name firmly with the best.
Old 18 May 2004, 15:57 (Ref:974514)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is a racer as opposed to the many drivers that occupy the F1 lineup. Its his style that has created so many fans. He is not necessarily faster than RS but in a fight he will not back down. This attitude can be detrimental if the person he is tryingto pass decides to block him. At Imola he felt MS was unfair to him but he did the same thing to RS. Passing still take the cooperation of both parties involved.
Old 18 May 2004, 16:17 (Ref:974538)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Neil and mac, although Button has defiante elements form the 'racer' category as well.

Montoya's aggression is impressive, but occasionally does need ot be tamed. His performances so far this seaosn have generally looked quite controlled, but he did panic somewhat at Imola.
Old 18 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:974654)   #17
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
He is not necessarily faster than RS...
Not necessarily faster ?
1) Monza 2002, fastest lap in Formula One history...
2) JPM 5 - RS 0, Qualifying 2004 (so far)
Old 18 May 2004, 18:31 (Ref:974662)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought long and hard about posting this, because of the reaction it might cause. I also considered stating my position on Jenson, but it is immaterial (I try not to post from favourites - it shouldn't matter if I am posting a negative thing about a favourite or not). Blah blah blah whatever, anyway...
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
although Button has defiante elements form the 'racer' category as well.
'racer' hmmm. I'm not so sure. I am not saying he isn't a racer, but he hasn't done anything that makes me think that so far. I see real pace, but his race craft isn't proven, yet. I say yet, because he hasn't done much to prove he isn't a 'racer' either. I know it was Spain, but his race underwhelmed me from his grid position.
Old 18 May 2004, 18:36 (Ref:974668)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, i don't rate Button as a racer (yet) either.. he doesn't show the natural combative nature of JPM. And the thing is, while we've seen Montoya, Schumacher, Barrichello having the ability to race/overtake when the need arises, we've yet to see convincing raciness from Button.
Old 18 May 2004, 22:27 (Ref:974917)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The truth is: the best passer in F1 is rumoured to be back in a decent car next year. Unlike JPM, he has controlled aggression in his blood.
Old 18 May 2004, 22:42 (Ref:974935)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well Sir Frank was talking about drivers in F1.
Old 18 May 2004, 22:57 (Ref:974949)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I know that ... but for the mostpart F1 drivers are racing the clock more than their competitors. More and more fans it seems are assuming that if a driver is fast on an empty track, he will automatically be fast in traffic... and it just isn't so, provided that overtaking is made possible. This needs fixing .. and now!

Last edited by Kirk; 18 May 2004 at 23:04.
Old 19 May 2004, 00:51 (Ref:975018)   #23
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best passers in F1 seem to be those that are not awe struck by TGF. Juan i think is a very special driver that has never quite had the car under him to do the job. I just hope that he gets it before TGF retires.

Frank knows what he has/had hopefully McLaren can give Juan the car and do what they did for Senna, i think Juan deserves it.
Old 19 May 2004, 03:44 (Ref:975071)   #24
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Hmm, i don't rate Button as a racer (yet) either.. he doesn't show the natural combative nature of JPM. And the thing is, while we've seen Montoya, Schumacher, Barrichello having the ability to race/overtake when the need arises, we've yet to see convincing raciness from Button.
Wrong. 'Natural combative nature' is not necessary to become a racer. Wrestlers have natural combative natures not formula one drivers. You need to be competitive and assertive but there is NO need to be combative and mind you, JPM is no way 'combative'. The closest thing I have seen to combative is a very frustrated looking MS walking towards the Mclaren pits to talk to DC (Spa 1998).

And when did Barrichello became a 'racer', huh..

Back to J. Pablo... he is a competitor and he goes for it. Thats about it. Some of them stick others dont but I applaud him just for the go. I dont think its fair to call him the best 'passer' though I can testify that J. Pablo has great car control.
Old 19 May 2004, 03:52 (Ref:975075)   #25
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a big difference being fast on an empty track and being fast in traffic or when wedged up under somebody's wing - the latter are where the "natural combative nature" (or whatever you choose to call it) comes into the equation.

Whatever it is, Juan has it in spades. He is a RACER.

Tags
jpm