Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Jan 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2621081)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vision Racing Has Closed

On another Open Wheel forum, it was stated that the Vision Racing staff was informed this morning that they will be closing their doors...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2621095)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Terrible News! I am devastated!

not.

Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2621143)   #3
instant classic
Rookie

France
France
instant classic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad, sure hope ED can find a new ride soon
Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2621148)   #4
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

not.

I'm sure the (ex) employees of Vision racing appreciate your concern.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2621150)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

not.

My sentiments exactly!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Jan 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2621158)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The "Official" term that is being used is that Vision is "suspending operations," but most (not all) of the people were laid off this morning...

Old 28 Jan 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2621171)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm2 View Post
It is of course unfortunate for them.

But a lot more people lost their jobs because TG had a hissy fit. Now he's shown that, without the family dollars, he can't actually run a business.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2621237)   #8
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
It is of course unfortunate for them.

But a lot more people lost their jobs because TG had a hissy fit. Now he's shown that, without the family dollars, he can't actually run a business.
Exactly
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Jan 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2621276)   #9
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What TG has done to racing in North America isn't relevant in my opinion.

The fact is a racing team is out of business, the IRL is down at least one car this season, and at least a dozen people are now out of work in the worst economy for a couple of decades.

I'm not a fan (at all) of Mr. George's actions in the past 16 or 17 years, but to laugh at a teams demise, isn't a very pleasant thing to do.

Just my opinion...
Old 28 Jan 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2621293)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How ironic.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2621333)   #11
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony and his fans can continue to take their medicine.

In order to kill cancer, you have to kill off a few good cells too.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 00:34 (Ref:2621372)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm2 View Post
Well they can join the club. There are truckloads of people "the split" put out of work, not to mention all the others out there even in Nascar that lost their jobs due to the economy.

They knew it was coming anyways and were previously told such.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2621417)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport says its closed
Old 29 Jan 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2621419)   #14
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The word here in Indy is that they have ceased operations. They laid off approximately 20 employees.

Efforts to locate sponsorship still go on but do not look good. Menard's did not extend thier sponsorship this year. It is also unclear as to where Ed Carpenter will end up.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2621543)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I'm sure with his talent he will find another drive somewhere.

Are the Greyhounds recruiting?
Old 29 Jan 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2621621)   #16
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could see Dreyer & Reinbold picking him up. They dont have a quality driver at this time.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2621625)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Their website is still up and running.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2621703)   #18
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cavin's article goes into more depth

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...es-racing-team
Old 29 Jan 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2621716)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
This is the follow-up story that ran on the front page of today's Indianapolis Star:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...parks-IRL-team

FWIW

Old 29 Jan 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2621804)   #20
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, that's not good for the car count. And what's worse, the team did look promising last year, with one P2 each for Ryan Hunter-Reay on debut for them and the performance of SurprisEd at Kentucky.

I've never considered myself a fan of Vision Racing, but these 2 excellent drives clearly showed the team would have scored more memorable results.

Sadly, after Pacific Coast Motorsports, Vision Racing has now become the 2nd team to run in the unified series to close up shop.

Here's hoping that Rahal-Letterman Racing and Conquest Racing do make it onto the grid. Is there any news about the longtime "2nd week" entry of Hemelgarn Racing?
Old 29 Jan 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2621975)   #21
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested in hearing from people around the globe if you heard the Vision news on your home turf: local print media or sports broadcast.

If you are hoping for RLR or Conquest to fill the grid for more than Indy, not anywhere close to likely.

I'm not aware that Coyne, D&R, or N/H/L have any major solid sponsorship commitments, or signed drivers who are bringing one. All rumor, and a Boy Scout endorsement.

Transporters leave for Barber open test in 24 days.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2622010)   #22
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
I could see Dreyer & Reinbold picking him up. They dont have a quality driver at this time.
And picking up Carpenter would make a difference to that how?
Old 29 Jan 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2622037)   #23
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D&R says they are announcing Tuesday. Coyne should be close, based on previous public statements he made in interviews.

http://dreyerreinboldracing.com/news.html?article_id=17
Old 3 Feb 2010, 06:59 (Ref:2625503)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
I'd be interested in hearing from people around the globe if you heard the Vision news on your home turf: local print media or sports broadcast.
That's almost funny - the only time anything remotely Indycar related is on the news is if Danica Patrick does something non-Indycar related. The sports sites (tsn.ca) will mention it if you go to the racing sections of their website, but it's not something that would make TV news.

You can count me as one who finds it hard to have any sympathy for Tony George over this - he's getting only a fraction of what he deserves for being the kingpin in the destruction of open-wheel racing over the past 15 years. I have no doubt he'll be able to retire in comfort somewhere while many of the people whose careers/lives have been ruined by the split have faired much worse.

I would have been happy had this(Tony George's downfall) happened 5-10 years ago, but now it'd just be celebrating mutual destruction and the inevitable downfall of US openwheel racing.

I've read some motorsports commentators speculate that this may cause some former fans to reconsider Indycar racing - but it's long past that... nobody cares about this anymore, and the product sucks. Open-wheel will only be capable of returning to the mainstream in the US, when it has a product that is worthy of the mainstream.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Feb 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2625516)   #25
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Glad to have entertained! I saw it as another bad image blow, although minor in its real impact. Sort of a "see how far the mighty have fallen" notion. So I was curious if that was enough to make news outside of the immediate community.

Thanks for your perspective.

Word is that Rexall is out at Edmonton. Any news? Does that put the race this year in jeopardy?