Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Feb 2002, 20:17 (Ref:209821)   #1
mikebrown70
Rookie

mikebrown70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Night Races

Are there going to be any night races in this years championsip?
Old 3 Feb 2002, 20:21 (Ref:209825)   #2
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, too expensive
Old 3 Feb 2002, 22:14 (Ref:209843)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame, because Snetterton always worked well as a night race. I would love to see the Brands Indy Circuit run at night!!
Old 3 Feb 2002, 22:21 (Ref:209852)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The only circuits it'd work at would be Snett and Silverstone. I was surprised they got away with it at Silverstone but I guess the local economy is built around motorsport so they are a little more forgiving! Expect it back in a couple of years is what I've been told... and I really hope they're right!

Mind you, if you like night racing, there's the Willhire 8hr race at Snett this year, and an 'evening race' at Donny for the Minis!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 23:16 (Ref:210901)   #5
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason they've never done a night race at Brands Hatch indy is because the length of the circuit. It's too short. I liked it when the Super Tourers did that only night race at Silverstone at the end of the year.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 06:29 (Ref:210984)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you'll also find restrictions at Brands due to how close it is to residential areas. I've never heard any mention of the track being too short as a reason for not holding a night race there, that seems a pretty implausable reason.
I'd guess Craig is probably correct in saying that Silverstone gets away with having night races because the residents are more understanding than those near to other circuits. Just look at Oulton Park which has a 6pm (or is it 6:30) curfew imposed by local byelaw.
As for the original question, the answer was summed up very nicely by nicker less, too expensive. The night races might be great fun as far as the fans are concerned and they do create an unsurpassed atmosphere, however, if one of the aims of the new BTCC regs was to cut costs then it made sense to drop the night races.

Last edited by Carrie; 6 Feb 2002 at 06:32.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 12:00 (Ref:211037)   #7
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally think that when the BTCC gains in popularity again a night race a year will probably become commercially viable again. It might be good to move it around the country, to keep up interest, and I think it's important that it's either in the middle of summer (July/August) for the weather, or at the end of the season, for the atmosphere.

There are some circuits it could never happen at due to noise restrictions though.
They are:
Oulton Park, Croft, Rockingham, Brands (I think), Thruxton, Castle Combe.

As far as I know, all those circuits have restrictions as to when they can race. I was so disappointed when I found out that it couldn't happen at Rockingham, but we're restricted to Snetterton, Silverstone, Knockhill and possibly Donington.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 14:29 (Ref:211104)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knockhill would be a good track for a night race. The only neighbours are farmers, and there is only one farm right next to it.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 19:00 (Ref:211222)   #9
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a shame - Snetterton has been so much fun the past 3 years - and i'm sure all the drivers enjoyed the different challenge!

Its going to be missed!
Old 11 Feb 2002, 19:55 (Ref:214198)   #10
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was certainly a shame with weather at Snetterton for the night race last year...

and as far as Silverstone goes...we went to the night race there last year as well , and on the qualifing night we went to the Royal oak Pub in the village.....and you could only just hear the cars going round in the distance on their qualifing runs , so i cant see that the locals could have complained that much anyway.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 20:29 (Ref:214224)   #11
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it'll never happen at oulton they're only allowed to exceed a certain noise level as long as the local residents agree. that means they'll never agree to a night race. i remember reading an article in Max Power aaaaages ago about people taking their saxos to oulton. one of the cars wasn't allowed to go round because it exceeded the agreed noise level!
Old 11 Feb 2002, 20:41 (Ref:214233)   #12
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The '99 Snetterton race produced superb action. As did the 2000 Silverstone meeting.
But for me the novalty of it avaporated, this year.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 20:43 (Ref:214235)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
snetterton's going to be useless without night racing, it's a hole in the daylight, and losing the night race makes ppl even less willing to do that godawful a11 journey.

brands had a night race in the btcc at the end of last season
Old 11 Feb 2002, 22:18 (Ref:214275)   #14
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully the duelling of the A11 will improve things this year.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 23:14 (Ref:214306)   #15
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it'll take much to get used to Snetterton with racing in daylight again, after all, it's not so long since we were there for BTCC racing in the day.

I could well imagine that Touringlegend's idea of a night race at Knockhill would be a logistical nightmare. No public camping at the circuit itself and I could well imagine people getting arsey with having to wait for the park and ride buses at night.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 10:32 (Ref:214445)   #16
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep would like to see it return, and would be good at Donno, though may interfere with the planes.