Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1658206)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
diesel engine in a single seater???....

has anyone ever put a turbo-diesel in a single seater?......or intending to?.......I think its only a matter of time before it happens as people like audi are spending a lot of money promoting turbo diesels........this thread might provoke some harsh criticisms of diesels, but before anyone does I would just like to say its now quite straight forward to get over 100 bhp per litre form a tuned diesel.......not to mention over 50% more torque than its petrol equivalent........I would be interested to hear if its been done or is intending to be done???.....
Old 17 Jul 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1658232)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
absolutely not a silly idea, i think it's a great thing for manufacturers to look at. they can use it to develop and promote a small, light, efficient diesel engine.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1658242)   #3
Marco Rosas
Rookie

Portugal
Marco Rosas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a diesel single seater?
a farm tractor!

it can (and was) used for endurance, but for short races it cant be compared to the more powerfull gasoline engines.
unless they come with some stupid rule to restrain gas engines or help smokie engines (diesel) like they did in Le Mans
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1658249)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
excuse me, my 2 litre turbo diesel is much quicker than the 2.3 litre petrol equivalent!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1658260)   #5
Marco Rosas
Rookie

Portugal
Marco Rosas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
excuse me, my 2 litre turbo diesel is much quicker than the 2.3 litre petrol equivalent!
unless u tell me what engines and cars ur talking about i cant refute ur statement

but i can compare VW Golf 2.0 TDI and VW Golf 2.0 TFSI (or GTI)

and i see lots of diferences there. the only disavantage of TFSI is the €€€ in the gas station.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1658272)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I think it would be a good idea given the fact that a number of companies are promoting diesels as an alternative, so motor racing could be good PR. Given that there may be issues over equivalency between petrol and diesel engines, I suspect that a one make formula could be the best option.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1658289)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
or an open formula with diesel only engine regs...
Old 18 Jul 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1658913)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I *think* it's been discussed to do it in one of the club single seater series, but people didn't seem to be too receptive to the idea.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 03:44 (Ref:1659657)   #9
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'd be great to drive (massive torque) but they just don't have the sound, do they? A subdued whoosh is not as inspiring as a high ptiched wail.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1659795)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you dig out some of the stuff to do with the Audi R10 at LM, the drivers also weren't so keen on not being able to hear the engine....and it wasn't the same when they went past, compared to the other cars.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1660695)   #11
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Audi was bizarre, the sound it made when riding over the kerbs was louder than the engine!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1660705)   #12
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
this was the exact reason that the Taurus-Lola-Diesel had a massive chassis-writing-off shunt at snetterton a few months ago......as the wind noise is louder than the engine when at speed, the driver could not hear the engine note getting higher - the wheels were spinning at high speed (due to massive 1100Nm engine torque) and it spun the car into the barrier.......aparrently the R10 drivers have complained of the same thing, aparrently they did le-mans with a LED rev counter on the dash, but the long term plan is to place a small speaker in each of the drivers helmets to amplify the engine noise - so they can actually hear it......that would be easy to do on any diesel powered race car
Old 29 Jul 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1667323)   #13
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
or an open formula with diesel only engine regs...
Dan Partell was the man for this kind of idea... when he ran EFDA and controlled the GM Lotus Euroseries, they were the first to race on unleaded with catalysts in the exhausts...

if he'd been able to find a manufacturere at the time who'd have backed a diesel Euroseries, it'd have happened...

Hmm.... come to think of it..... maybe the time is ripe... after all, there are just too many darn F3 series already...

I thought drivers used the seat of the pants anyway, not the drum of the ear...
Old 3 Oct 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1726072)   #14
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Italiaracing.net, Italian F3 will be replaced by new series using Alfa Romeo diesel engines and Dallara chassis!
http://italiaracing.net/news.asp?id=...ula|3|italiana
Old 3 Oct 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1726211)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't there a diesel Vee in Ireland at some point?
Old 3 Oct 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1727009)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
That could be interesting!
Old 4 Oct 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1727287)   #17
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Curtis built a car with a Cummins diesel engine that competed at Indianapolis in the early 1952. It was driven by Freddie Agabashian.

A diesel car also ran at Indianapolis before WW2 and if I remember correctly it is still the only car to complete the race without a pit stop.