Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Oct 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2318862)   #1
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which Historic Saloon Races?

I now have a car which should be eligible for 'proper' historic racing (unlike the previous one which was built specifically for one series). There's a fair selection to choose from in the UK and near-Europe, but which would 10/10ers recommend and which would they give a miss?
Old 23 Oct 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2318867)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be good to know what the car is first.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2318895)   #3
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doh!

It's a 1964 Jag S-type. Before last weekend it hadn't run for a couple of years but with the previous owner it's done some HSCC/CTCRC/Masters stuff and looks like it may have done Spa 6hrs, but I've got to research this more.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2318899)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
CTCRC if you want shorter races HSCC and Masters for longer ones, take yer choice I guess, also regs maybe a factor. From what I see some (Master) the regs see very lax, the CTCRC regs I personally like (I race with them) and think they are fairly policed and well laid out. HSCC regs seem very similiar butt he races are a longer duration which do not suit me personally (unfit and overweight and get bored easily :-) ). Also with your car in CTCRC races you could usually get a 2nd much discounted race in one of the other championships, say the pre 66 classics then the Post Historics or even a third in Group 1 if you are really greedy.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2318943)   #5
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will be very welcome with the HRSR / HSCC. We have around 10 or 11 races per year with a mix of 12/15 lap sprints (some being double headers) and 40/45 minute optional 2 driver races. We were also lucky enough this year to have a Grand Prix support race.
We cater for HRSR classes and Appendix K classes.
We have had a couple of 'S' types racing with us over the years.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2318948)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ex Roger Cope(?). If so I recevied a S Type Jag dent in my car from his co driver in a one hour at Pembrey in 1996!

As Al says you have the choice of Pre 65 (it was announced in that year) Post Historics or Pre 83s with CTCRC. You'll need HTP for Top Hat.

Can't remember the spec of the car in question but check the homologation papers before applying for the HTP.

As morninggents says there's also the HSCC.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2319067)   #7
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes, Roger's old car rescued from obscurity and being recommisioned for next year. Never having dealt with Appx K or HTP before, can someone explain what is involved or where to look?

Oh, and Peter, sorry about the dent!
Old 23 Oct 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2319071)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Terence Bower seems to know about these things as does Zef, why not pm them?

BTW. Many moons ago I had a mate who put a manual gearbox into an S Type. I remember chasing a Ferrari (con't recall the model) up the Kingston By Pass in it, when we pulled alonside at the Putney Vale teraffic lights there was a stunning red headed woman sitting behind the wheel. Sadly she turned off towards Barnes and we went on through Wandsworth. Can't think why I remember that.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2319115)   #9
CortinaCrew
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corby, UK.
CortinaCrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Personally I'd go for CTCRC Pre-66 hosted by the effervescent Andy Messham, and grab a second race on each day in Post Historics (Pre-74). You'd be a front runner there I'd say.

Where the car came from in other words!

Paul.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2319171)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay
Yes, Roger's old car rescued from obscurity and being recommisioned for next year. Never having dealt with Appx K or HTP before, can someone explain what is involved or where to look?

Oh, and Peter, sorry about the dent!
To save you the trouble of a PM Colin,all you need for HTP is proof that the S Type has international competition history in period [not your particular car] but in general.If you do need any further help,feel free with the PM.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2319183)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I endorse what CortinaCrew said but I would would'nt I? :-)
Old 23 Oct 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2319338)   #12
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
I see a lot of form filling in my future....
Old 24 Oct 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2319618)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
To save you the trouble of a PM Colin,all you need for HTP is proof that the S Type has international competition history in period [not your particular car] but in general.If you do need any further help,feel free with the PM.
and therein lies the problem.... they are not eligible for papers so Masters is probably off the meneu - lovely car and raced against it in days gone by
Old 24 Oct 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2319676)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Have masters ever turned an entry away ?

I look forward to seeing the calenders and costs for next year

HSCC is looking fave at the moment . . .HRS in the Rochdale!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2319819)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Suggest there will be less series to run in next year and those that do will let anything it as its going to be cash that wins
Old 24 Oct 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2319893)   #16
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
they are not eligible for papers
Is this just because of the competition history or is there another reason? Surely someone, somewhere must have raced one in period. Does anyone know if a single international race is enough to prove the case and what is the exact cut-off? I need to do something while sitting at my desk through a recession!!!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2319921)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
haha know the feeling! Sadly I think I am right in saying that Jaguar never applied for homologation in period. Coupled with no international history and et voila - no papers.
For what it is worth I would get a great Mk 2 shell and use the engine/gearbox etc build up a Mk2 where you can get papers and they look/sound fantastic....
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2319922)   #18
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a list of all cars homologated if anyone wants a copy - PM me
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2319946)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
One international event is, as far as I know, good enough.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2319949)   #20
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
One international event is, as far as I know, good enough.

Yes, that is right. And do you have a list of every car that ever raced in an international event?

Didn't think so.

Happy to provide the list of homologated cars if anyone would like it.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2319977)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Um,

No, and well done to you.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2319982)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
haha know the feeling! Sadly I think I am right in saying that Jaguar never applied for homologation in period. Coupled with no international history and et voila - no papers.
For what it is worth I would get a great Mk 2 shell and use the engine/gearbox etc build up a Mk2 where you can get papers and they look/sound fantastic....
Refresh my memory. Did the MkII race with the 3.8 or 3.4?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2319985)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Funny enough I was going to ask the question, why on earth would anyone run an S-Type instead of the Mk2 in period, it must be heavier the only reason I can think of is the IRS.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2319987)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I should point out that it is a very competitive car so as far as speed and capability is concerned it is a good vehicle.

Just a thought. Homologation papers are issued to cover the development of each model of car. They don't per se confirm that the car competed in an international event. Jeremy H will no doubt put me right on this.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 24 Oct 2008 at 14:58.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2320030)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

it ran with a 3.8 in the last owner's hands didn't it??