Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old Yesterday, 18:19 (Ref:4211831)   #1
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abandoned Tracks

Been a bit quiet on here , [ then just noticed Gordons post ], but I thought I would bring up a bit from " Abandoned Tracks ".
Had been looking up the history of FERSFIELD . A link to it here .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYw7iWr9eU
And looked up the history for Snetterton and Silverstone .
From old maps it looks like they were all very similar design WW11 airfields .
Silverstone had its first racing in 1948 , Fersfield in about 1951 and Snetterton a year or two later .
Fersfield did not last very long , [ probably to far away from main roads ,] but the other 2 are still going strong as race circuits today .

How many tracks across the country had similar starting points , as I cant think of many that were about , [ Brooklands ], before the war .
Old Yesterday, 18:40 (Ref:4211835)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Been a bit quiet on here , [ then just noticed Gordons post ], but I thought I would bring up a bit from " Abandoned Tracks ".
Had been looking up the history of FERSFIELD . A link to it here .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYw7iWr9eU
And looked up the history for Snetterton and Silverstone .
From old maps it looks like they were all very similar design WW11 airfields .
Silverstone had its first racing in 1948 , Fersfield in about 1951 and Snetterton a year or two later .
Fersfield did not last very long , [ probably to far away from main roads ,] but the other 2 are still going strong as race circuits today .

How many tracks across the country had similar starting points , as I cant think of many that were about , [ Brooklands ], before the war .
Donington, though somewhat briefly.

But then again, dedicated tracks must have been rather rare pre-WW2.
Old Yesterday, 18:48 (Ref:4211838)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_circuit

Possibly slightly missing the point of Tel's post in terms of airfield tracks post WW2, but having lived next to the park whilst racing was still active, albeit as a very young person at the time, I think the concept of the Palace is something that should be remembered.

That said most of my visits to the Park were more memorable for the dinosaurs.

https://cpdinosaurs.org/
Old Yesterday, 19:23 (Ref:4211843)   #4
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_circuit

Possibly slightly missing the point of Tel's post in terms of airfield tracks post WW2, but having lived next to the park whilst racing was still active, albeit as a very young person at the time, I think the concept of the Palace is something that should be remembered.

That said most of my visits to the Park were more memorable for the dinosaurs.

https://cpdinosaurs.org/
I should have looked that one up , but did not know it had been about that long .
I actually raced there a few times , including ,[ I think ] the last meeting on the full circuit ,in about 1974 .
Old Yesterday, 19:34 (Ref:4211847)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I should have looked that one up , but did not know it had been about that long .
I actually raced there a few times , including ,[ I think ] the last meeting on the full circuit ,in about 1974 .
There is a video of the last meeting's races on YouTube somewhere.

Maybe not all of the races though.
Old Today, 09:11 (Ref:4211897)   #6
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
There is a video of the last meeting's races on YouTube somewhere.

Maybe not all of the races though.
Have seen links to videos , but I think they were for the last International races at Crystal Palace , which were in [ I believe ] 1972 .
And I think clubman races went on until about 1974 .
Old Today, 09:51 (Ref:4211899)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Have seen links to videos , but I think they were for the last International races at Crystal Palace , which were in [ I believe ] 1972 .
And I think clubman races went on until about 1974 .
Didn't Gerry Marshall win the last ever race there (in a Lister Jaguar)?