Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2003, 06:10 (Ref:577627)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Move the F3000 Race to Sunday

I have posted here, rather than the Single Seater forum, as I speaking more of the value of a "Grand Prix Weekend" from a spectators viewpoint.

Now that there is no F1 warmup on the Sunday, should the F3000 race been moved to Sunday? This would give the series more exposure, and give more 'racing' on the Sunday.

Secondly, why not increase the 2 hour Friday session for teams opting for 'reduced testing' - this would encourage other teams to take up this option, and would help cut the gap between haves and have nots.

Perhaps a 1 hour session on the Saturday as well?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:44 (Ref:577800)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think with not being able to try all the different compounds of tyre on offer has significantly reduced the value of running the Friday session but I think the Renaults, and Mark Webber in particular have really benefitted from that extra session.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 10:55 (Ref:577865)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Eurosport are going to show F3000 as-live on Sunday mrnign rather than live on Saturday afternoon, it would make more sense to have the race then. The cooler conditions earlier in the morning might affect the race though?

I agree that the tresting should be longer for the teams who want it. However, my concern here is that Renault and Jaguar will not be able to imprvoe any further in the rest of the season, having chosen to compete in that.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 12:13 (Ref:577920)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I suppose the problem with F3000 on Sunday morning might be timetable constraints. After all, the GP MUST start at 2 pm, as the TV audiences are waiting.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 12:44 (Ref:577964)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's probably a good idea, but if you remove the F3000 from Saturday's timetable then Saturday will be extremely dull now we have a non-competetive F1 Qualifying session.

A general increase in the number of support races would be a good idea.

When the BTCC was covered live on Motors TV last weekend there was coverage of the 911, FFord, RT2000 and Legends support races too!
Old 23 Apr 2003, 12:53 (Ref:577990)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Juggling the brain cells around here (no rude replies please!) I'm sure I remember there being a rule that nothing is to run on the circuit for 'X'? number of hours prior to the start of a Grand Prix? I'm sure the boffins amongst you will remember and put me right.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 12:56 (Ref:577998)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it would be a good idea. I agree with the dull Sunday program, however that would certainly not give better exposure to F3000. On saturday people remain on the track after quals, however I'm not sure how many of them will wake up Sunday morning to go to see a F3000 race. I wouldn't..

PS: Stephen, there are other support races on Sunday morning, Porsche for example..

Last edited by Red; 23 Apr 2003 at 12:57.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:02 (Ref:578008)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I know Red, but I seem to remember a rule saying nothing to run on the track for around two or three hours before the start of the Grand Prix. I'm sure it was the reason (one of many) given for not having a better support package to GP weekends.

In the days when BTCC used to be on, it was always after the GP which incidentally then becomes a non FIA event.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:19 (Ref:578023)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure, perhaps you're right. But if some other support races happen anyway, the F3000 could replace them...
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:22 (Ref:578025)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At most GP the support race package is pathetic. Quite often there is just the F3000 race and the Supercup.

Some countries have many more races. I'm not sure why these do (or are allowed to) and other don't (can't).