Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2002, 15:45 (Ref:382568)   #1
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Ferrari Drivers still will not race each other

According to Autosport.com Ferrari drivers will not be able to race each other in the final races of this season.

This is a disgrace. I could partially understand it before, but not now. F1 is now officially a farce.

:confused:
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:41 (Ref:382694)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to them I think they actually `were racing at least to the second stop by Barrichello. They both seemed to be pushing quite hard.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 19:18 (Ref:382711)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing in the pits, not on the track!

Can you say "total bull?"

Or how about "bringing the sport into ill repute?" Sure you can!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 19:23 (Ref:382715)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This just shows the complete contempt Ferrari have for the sport, the fans, and Formula One in general.

I hope you guys are enjoying this 'sport' and all the Ferrari fans are finding it entertaining.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:09 (Ref:382761)   #5
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well considering that "team racing" by Williams in the first turn at Monza may be a cause of the two DNF's; and may have dashed any chance of 2nd place for either JPM or Ralf: I'd say Ferrari's tactics are spot on. It may not please some of the fans, but the outcome is what it's all about.

I personally find the different stop strategies employed by Michael and Rubens toward the goal of a "team" win very interesting to watch. It adds an element of strategy that makes F1 unique. Unfortunately the only thing that would make some fans happy would be if there were 22 teams of one car each, battling to the death.

Although this may be an obscure analogy to some:

In a baseball game played during the summer, the New York Yankess intentionally walked Barry Bonds. The fans in Yankee Stadium howled. The NY manager Joe Torre later said, "we're here to win ballgames, not provide a show for the fans at the expense of a win".

It's all about the team.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:32 (Ref:382790)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
This just shows the complete contempt Ferrari have for the sport, the fans, and Formula One in general.

I hope you guys are enjoying this 'sport' and all the Ferrari fans are finding it entertaining.
Yes, Liz, I am enjoying this season - it is a good time to be a Ferrari fan. Fer chrissake, I had to go through more than 20 years without seeing them win... Cut me some slack...

IMHO you people are taking this too far... Ok, so Austria was questionable because Rubens had the race won, but chastising the team because they refuse to allow their teammates to bang wheels? Come on!
After all, second place in the WDC is still at stake..
Old 17 Sep 2002, 21:29 (Ref:382831)   #7
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

, so Austria was questionable because Rubens had the race won

I've never been sure that Rubens and Michael were racing each other in Austria at all. Even if they were cruising, they would have got the fastest race lap easily in a car like the F2002. Sorry if I sound naive as hell, but that's what I think. This season's history as far as I'm concerned. I don't think 2nd in the WDC means anything really. Unless you're first you're a loser. Sad, but that's the way Formula One is.

But Rubens did win Monza fair and square. Well done Rubens!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 21:36 (Ref:382839)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya

But Rubens did win Monza fair and square. Well done Rubens!
Sure on that one? I thought it was as questionable as Nurburgring in terms of being fair and square!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 21:42 (Ref:382847)   #9
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing each other does not have to involve banging wheels. It is ok to have a go without risking an accident, and quite within the realm of possibility among the best drivers in the world. The problem lies in the fact that we have apparently been told that we will not be seeing the 2 best cars in the world do any actual racing anymore, outside of what might be required to secure the 1st and 2nd positions, usually within the first 2 laps. After that, there will apparently be a procession to the finish. More of what we saw at Monza, no doubt.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 22:19 (Ref:382877)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
If Ferrari were to "allow" Rubens and Michael to race (whatever that means), do you honestly think you'd notice the difference?

PS - In the end, I agree it would be nice for Rubens to have the opportunity, at least, to try to win the WDC for himself next year. Still think Michael would lick him though...

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 17 Sep 2002 at 22:23.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:08 (Ref:382925)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

After all, second place in the WDC is still at stake..
oh come on, who cares about 2nd place? Rubens dont. Only Ferrari, they just want to ride the point home:

WE RULE F1.

they dont care what the fans think. Sport? you wish...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:10 (Ref:382927)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think Mercedes had this perfected in their four car team way back - it's not what the fans want but it's goof for company image. The two Ferraris parading side by side brought the Tifosi to Nirvana last weekend. It's only teh Minardi fans who want to see a real race.
Valve
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:23 (Ref:382938)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think you guys are all missing hte point. When SchM throttled back to let the two cars unlap themselves, and still pave the way for an overwhelming Ferrari one two, with the cars nose to tail well ahead of a very distant Eddie, they called all the shots, they get maximum points, they get the raptures of all the fans, and there wasn't the slightest chance either car would be damaged in an accidental "race" with each other. And the side by side victory parade lap was wonderful, was it not? So what's your problem? What's your gripe? They won, we lost! WHAT!

Valve
Old 18 Sep 2002, 00:20 (Ref:382976)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If Ferrari were to "allow" Rubens and Michael to race (whatever that means), do you honestly think you'd notice the difference?

NO....and thats what makes the whole business of No 1 and No 2 more farcical and detracts from any acheivements.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 01:11 (Ref:382996)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mr v is just a sore looser Valve...that's why. Just remember this, as long as Michael and the rest of the team (Braun & Todt) is around...don't expect your man to be a WDC. You can blah blah blah all year if you want but the fact remains that Ferrari have the best package overall
Old 18 Sep 2002, 01:34 (Ref:383003)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think the object of this thread, as some seem to have missed, is to see the two Ferraris racing each other, rather than circulate in formation a la Fangio, Kling, Moss & Musso ahead of the other teams.
Or am I wrong?

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 18 Sep 2002 at 01:37.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 02:07 (Ref:383014)   #17
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Argh, Ferrari are making me sick right now...

They must find a way to force them to race!
Old 18 Sep 2002, 02:07 (Ref:383015)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce

Only Ferrari, they just want to ride the point home:

WE RULE F1.

they dont care what the fans think. Sport? you wish...
I just don't understand what is so wrong with going for 2nd place in the WDC! Yes, they want to show that they rule F1. Its good for business.

Sales of Ferrari road cars right now are at an all time high. This dominance is paying dividends for them, and they deserve it- and they should milk it as much as they can.

Lets not forget, it took them some 20 odd years to build to this.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 03:54 (Ref:383041)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz and Down F0rce. Thank you very much for your concern, but really! It is not necessary. We do find it entertaining and yes Down F0rce, they DO care what the fans think: THEY RULE THE F1! That's what they are supposed to do for us and they do it good! Witness is the fans reaction after Monza (the same race that many of you consider a farce and a slap in the poor's fan face).
Old 18 Sep 2002, 04:07 (Ref:383046)   #20
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an electrifying atmosphere ay Red!
Attached Images

Old 18 Sep 2002, 04:13 (Ref:383047)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah, they don't look too bothered to me... poor fellows...
Old 18 Sep 2002, 04:47 (Ref:383058)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Even Eddie was moved to tears - he thought they remembered him from his days at Ferrari.

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 18 Sep 2002 at 04:49.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 04:55 (Ref:383060)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Jokes aside (and off topic) but I do miss Eddie.... He really-really wanted to be number 1 at Jaguar... *sigh*
Old 18 Sep 2002, 05:02 (Ref:383063)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Not true - he only claimed to be the second best driver in the world.

Valve
Old 18 Sep 2002, 05:05 (Ref:383066)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh, but that's undisputable...