Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:52 (Ref:861491)   #1
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sponsors and the New Points System

I found this article this morning. Because of the points system a lot of sponsors are reevaluating their status already. It's an intresting article.

J.D.

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39709
Old 3 Feb 2004, 17:09 (Ref:861566)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Herein lies the rub...
Quote:
Nascar has acknowledged the apprehension among some marketers. "We're having a dialogue with our sponsors right now," a Nascar spokesman said. "Our view is that we believe there will be a significant buildup in coverage and attention in the first 26 races, and in the last 10. And whether a team's driver is in the top 10 or not, there's significantly more attention on Nascar."
The attention is focussed on NASCAR, not the sponsor and that is ultimately the goal of the sponsor. Mr. France is not seeing the forest for the trees. He is placing the interests of NASCAR ahead of those of his financial backers. Increasing the focus on NASCAR is ostensibly what everone wants, but it does zero for the sponsor whose car gets left out.
Never forget #99
Old 3 Feb 2004, 23:14 (Ref:861986)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ChubbyCheeks and Co. didn't listen and have signed the first of many mistakes to go on to the NextelCup
Nascar will suffer big because of that Silver spoon
trucks will boom- and so will CHampcars and Indy
Idiots- their very own poll had over 75% of the fans saying don't change the points THAT way
Old 4 Feb 2004, 01:09 (Ref:862115)   #4
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
I'd really like to see a bunch of full-season teams out of the top 10 in points boycott the last 10 races. Then see how NASCAR tries to explain the small number of cars or a race track filled with backmarkers.

J.D.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 12:14 (Ref:862561)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds great floopy. Maybe then they'd abandon this ridiculous system after only one season. Teams outside the top 10 (who are the lifeblood of NASCAR, are often poorer funded, and due to the sheer size of the champiosnhip will often do much better the year after) are being taken for a ride by Bill France's greed and ignorance.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 00:50 (Ref:868972)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last night on Speed News they addressed some of these issues. One thing of interest is that a number of sponsors that were formerly backing cars have moved over to sponsor the series. Like official "soft drink" of NASCAR...those types of deals. Some think the new points deal may be responsible.

A backlash to the decrease in overall sponsorship is that the field for this year's 500 is down from previous years. The next race on the schedule is also seeing fewer entries than last year. Also interesting to note that ticket sales for this years race are a bit down. Is the crest of the wave starting to fall?

Last edited by jhansen; 10 Feb 2004 at 00:52.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 03:41 (Ref:869039)   #7
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
What goes up must come down. As succesful as NASCAR has been in the past 25 years or so, it is only a matter of time before attendence and profits start to drop. This might be the year that this starts to happen. It's unfortunate that this has to occur because of poor decision making though.

On another note it's nice to see that Kenny Schrader and BAM Racing have a multi-year sponsorship deal.

J.D.

Last edited by kingfloopy; 10 Feb 2004 at 03:43.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:46 (Ref:872304)   #8
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Only 38 cars are entered for the race at the Rock. Which means if you want to get a car into a NASCAR race now is the time to do it because you won't have to qualify. Look for a lot of extra teams around to run at the back of the pack to collect prize money. I wonder if any of the major teams will enter extra teams for R+D and extra exposure.

J.D.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 03:34 (Ref:873812)   #9
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems amazing to me that only 38 cars are entered for the next race! My memory isn't real good, but I only recall there being less than 43 entries once in recent years. In that case, didn't Nascar pay someone to make up the numbers (Morgan Shephard?)? It is way too early in the season to be down on numbers - how much of Nascar's hard earned cash ( ) are they going to have to shell out this year to prop up the fields?
Old 14 Feb 2004, 06:55 (Ref:873892)   #10
smacktalker
Rookie

smacktalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kingfloopy
I'd really like to see a bunch of full-season teams out of the top 10 in points boycott the last 10 races. Then see how NASCAR tries to explain the small number of cars or a race track filled with backmarkers.

J.D.
That'd be sweet!!! But do you think any of them have pockets that deep as to **** off their sponsors that badly???
Old 15 Feb 2004, 04:16 (Ref:874525)   #11
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that there is a good chance that the new system is really going to bite them in thae A** and sponsorship of teams will decrease.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 14:13 (Ref:875811)   #12
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Teams might not need to boycott the late season races if they can't find sponsors to begin with. They are trying to pay teams to show next week. I heard somewhere they could offer $50,000 to $60,000 to the teams that will come to fill up the field. andy Belmont will supposedly be at Rockingham. He was at Daytona, but he withdrew. Haven't heard about many other teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan Shepherd was there.

J.D.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 20:17 (Ref:876152)   #13
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Carl Long has signed up to race at Rockingham next week in the #46 Dodge.

J.D.

Last edited by kingfloopy; 16 Feb 2004 at 20:18.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 18:32 (Ref:877309)   #14
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Here is another update. There is now a full field at Rockingham. There are 44 cars entered. The link will take you to the enter list page. John Andretti apparently won't be there.

J.D.

http://jayski.thatsracin.com/stats/2...rock-entry.htm