Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2338518)   #1
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nurburgring Trophy 100 - What licence??

Assuming that I succeed in getting the necessary FIA papers, I'm seriously contemplating running my TR5 in the Nurburgring Trophy 100 race - being the race for 1966-1971 cars run on the (abbreviated) Nordschleife on the Friday of the Oldtimer weekend. Sadly my car is too 'Young' for the Marathon proper.

Like the rest of my UK peers I have just received my Licence renewal papers, but does anyone know whether my Race National 'A' is going to be sufficient for this event? I have looked at the event's website although only 2008 info is currently up, and I've found regs, entry form etc, but in nothing I've seen is it clear what UK licence would be required.

With all your collective experience out there, surely someone is going to know... Advice welcome!
Old 20 Nov 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2338579)   #2
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the regs, is it a National event,or an international ? If it's a National (A) look for the letters NEAFP in the regs somewhere. this means the organisers have paid a bit more, and it's a national event allowing foreign participation.
Don't know if the same rules definitely apply, but I've been doing some rounds of the RCN series at Spa and the Ring with a National A` licence, with a letter of authorisation from the MSA.
I believe the MSA used to check the event to make sure it was ok, but I believe it's now down to the driver.
If you are alowed in, it's worth checking the rules best you can - even if you have to use the google automatic translation service, as the germans tend to apply a few more rules - nothing too awful.
example - I had to have an in date FIA seat, and in date extinguisher of a certain size, FIA underwear,safety film on glass windows except for the windscreen, and a door net. Also needed bigger towing eyes for the ring and Spa - I just used some straps on the original towing eyes - they seemed happy with that.

Have Fun
Alan
Old 21 Nov 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2338607)   #3
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
If it's a National (A) look for the letters NEAFP in the regs somewhere. this means the organisers have paid a bit more, and it's a national event allowing foreign participation.Alan
Don't mean to butt in fellas, but I thought I'd lend a hand with the German. If you go to this page: http://www.avd.de/ogpracing/english/index.html and click on the link for "Applications" or "Ausscreibung", you'll find the regs from 2008. They do under "Part C- Article 2: Status" indicate the NEAFP designation for licensing, as Alan suggested. Again, that is for 2008 anyway. Hope to be watching you there next year HRSTR5
Old 21 Nov 2008, 05:33 (Ref:2338664)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe if you hold a National A you can automatically apply and receive an International Historic licence which is then valid for all such events.

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...ence_Notes.pdf

Here is the page with notes and the specific section is copied below:

•Acompetitor who can provide proof of having ever held a National or
National ‘A’ Race licence may renew it for either a 2009 National ‘A’ Race,
International Historic Race or National ‘B’ Race licence.

•Acompetitor who can provide proof of ever having held an International
Historic Race licence may renew it for a 2009 International Historic Race licence or a 2009 National ‘B’ Race licence.
•Acompetitor who can provide proof of ever having held an International ‘C’
Race licence may renew it for a 2009 International ‘C’ Race licence or a 2009
National ‘A’ Race, International Historic Race or National ‘B’ Race licence.
•Acompetitor who can provide proof of ever having held an International ‘A’
or ‘B’ Race licence may renew it for a 2009 International ‘C’ Race, National ‘A’
Race, International Historic Race or National ‘B’
Old 21 Nov 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2338710)   #5
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to race on the Nordscheilfe, why not do the race with FISC Eurotour in July? And you only need a Nat A...

I got an International licence a few years ago "to be sure" when I was racing abroad - it's a lot more expensive (not just MSA costs - you need a medical or higher spec medical depending on age) and, in hindsight, it doesn't seem to gain you entry to any more races ('Ring 24 Hours is the only one I've come across where you do need it) - it seems more an indication of "professional" status.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2338717)   #6
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing on the Nordschleife

If your licence has the European circle of stars - as all Nat A ones in the UK do - then you can race in Europe provided that the organisers have got NEAFP (for "foreign" drivers not from the territory in which the race is held).

You can run with the Classic Sports Car Club in the 400km race in October (Eifelrennen) which has grown into a huge meeting, and the race includes AppK, cars, and more recent cars with no FIA papers.

This year we were on a grid of around 150 cars (3 grids of 50 setting off at 2 minute intervals for the green flag lap), and there were 2 x 200km races, one Saturday, one Sunday.

The hospitality is good and there are lots of Brits (from CSCC and others) there. Both this year and last year the weather was FAB!!!

Good luck - take a look at the CSCC website.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2338775)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
If your licence has the European circle of stars - as all Nat A ones in the UK do - then you can race in Europe provided that the organisers have got NEAFP (for "foreign" drivers not from the territory in which the race is held).

You can run with the Classic Sports Car Club in the 400km race in October (Eifelrennen) which has grown into a huge meeting, and the race includes AppK, cars, and more recent cars with no FIA papers.

This year we were on a grid of around 150 cars (3 grids of 50 setting off at 2 minute intervals for the green flag lap), and there were 2 x 200km races, one Saturday, one Sunday.

The hospitality is good and there are lots of Brits (from CSCC and others) there. Both this year and last year the weather was FAB!!!

Good luck - take a look at the CSCC website.
All that - plus what Sarah forgot to say is that it is terrific value too, for the price of a couple of 15-minute UK races you could have over 4 hours track time.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2339000)   #8
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks very much for all your responses, that's really handy information.

Knowing that cash is going to be a little tight next season I was looking for evidence that I could avoid the additional cost of the International Historic Licence, a cost which would otherwise be wasted.

I will certainly consider the September CSCC meeting, it's just that I have friends planning to compete at the Oldtimer, and there's a reasonable chance that I can persuade the family to spend 3-4 days at the Nurburgring in the middle of our summer holiday - my wife is very understanding and my toddler is not yet able to voice her displeasure in any coherent manner!

Have a pleasant weekend all, and maybe see some of you at Whittlebury Hall tomorrow night.

james
Old 21 Nov 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2339057)   #9
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure the CSCC would have had an even better turn out if the Germans had not chosen to hold their 400km Nordschleife meeting on the same weekend as the Spa 6 Hours this year. Many people, and not just those in the ADAC Classic Trophy, would have liked to have done both.

One would hope the dates don't clash in 2009 but I suspect ADAC want them to, in order to diminish the 6 Hours or maybe I just see conspiracy where there is none.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2339258)   #10
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame they don't allow any modern, classic, or historic single seaters to run on the Nordschleife...
Old 22 Nov 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2339396)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER
Shame they don't allow any modern, classic, or historic single seaters to run on the Nordschleife...
.When did they stop allowing single seaters out of interest.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2339426)   #12
dr46rossi
Rookie

Germany
Düsseldorf
dr46rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
single seater at Nordschleife

This year every single seater or sports racer has had the chance to drive two demo rounds at the nordschleife
Old 24 Nov 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2340866)   #13
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER
We ran our Formula Junior in the demo laps on the Nordschleife, but quite frankly I don;t think it would stay together for a whole race! Even the sports cars get quite a banging on that circuit - it's rough! It's also not race tarmac, just old road tarmac, so not in the least grippy when wet! There's no way you could run anything with low clearance around the Karussel...!

We do have some very evocative photos of the Junior on the Nordschleife though...!
Old 24 Nov 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2340867)   #14
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer
I'm sure the CSCC would have had an even better turn out if the Germans had not chosen to hold their 400km Nordschleife meeting on the same weekend as the Spa 6 Hours this year. Many people, and not just those in the ADAC Classic Trophy, would have liked to have done both.

One would hope the dates don't clash in 2009 but I suspect ADAC want them to, in order to diminish the 6 Hours or maybe I just see conspiracy where there is none.
I don't think it's conspiracy - I don't think Alain Defalle has an axe to grind with the ADAC or vice versa - it's just the traditional weekend dates tend to stick in the calendar, amongst Goodwood, Birkett, etc. CSCC do go to Spa later in October though, which doesn't appear to clash with anything and is also good value
Old 25 Nov 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2341368)   #15
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
.When did they stop allowing single seaters out of interest.
I was referring to actual historic races...