Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 8 Mar 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1246667)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good photography positions at Silverstone?

Can you reccomend the best positions trackside, bearing in mind I have a 300mm lens (hoping to get my 400mm by then, but worst case scenario...). Cheers.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1247007)   #2
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Can you reccomend the best positions trackside, bearing in mind I have a 300mm lens (hoping to get my 400mm by then, but worst case scenario...). Cheers.
You should find some interesting shots at the outside of Club corner.. The 300 should allow you nice group shots..

You're a little far away in the complex for head ons, but there's plenty of panning to be had there..
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1247012)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
You should find some interesting shots at the outside of Club corner..
Not on the National circuit, which I suspect is what Mike has in mind!
Old 9 Mar 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1247257)   #4
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assuming this is on the National circuit and you're not doing this with a press pass, the only area you can shoot without fences getting in the way is from the inside of the straight between Maggots and the vehicle bridge.

Failing that take a stepladder to clear the fences - from your previous contributions you should know your way around the outside of Silverstone by now.

For other variations of the circuit, try the exit of Club and the run down to Abbey or the banking at Stowe when the Grand Prix circuit is in use, and if it's the International circuit, stand at the back of the Abbey seating area for pictures at the Hairpin.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 01:20 (Ref:1247281)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, I should have a press pass, and I'm thinking about the National, and International versions of the track.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1247511)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The outside of Becketts is ok with a 300. It's a little difficult to get to though - either cross the track between sessions or drive round the service road to the Hanger Straight bridge.

On the International try Abbey. You might be a bit far back to get the headon shot into Abbey with a 300 but you'll be fine on the exit. Also try from under the bridge to get the cars coming over the crest between Abbey and Bridge.

If all else fails try the exit of Luffield just before the SRC grandstand.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1247777)   #7
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look on my site if u want Mike, there's a decent selection from the LMES...Silverstone isn't the most exciting track to shoot at, but Luffield can be nice for head on's without too much hassle. What meeting is it for?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1247869)   #8
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you guys not like the elevated part near Priory? You could get some fairly decent shots of the cars coming out...

Last edited by TerryC; 9 Mar 2005 at 16:37.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1251953)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
OK, I should be shooting at Silverstone twice this week. I'm still a little sure about getting from one part of the track to another. For example say I do some shots at Copse, then decide to go to Luffield, where can I enter the track, I guess there are gates or something?
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1251994)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There's plenty of gates at Luffield. If you're not sure aim for the marshals posts.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1252010)   #11
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, will you be there on Wednesday for the F3/GT Media Day?

If so, PM me as I'll be there myself.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1255656)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Well, found some good places for photos the last couple of times at Silverstone, which I will use tomorrow.

The Abbey hairpin was good, shame tomorrow is on the National circuit...

It's just a shame that Silverstone is a bit of a bleak, characterless place. Every shot seems to have the same background, wherever you take it...
Old 19 Mar 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1256193)   #13
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indeed it is, especially in that sort of weather.

I was slightly hamstrung by having a max of 200mm, and having such sh*tty weather made it tempting to use slower and slower shutter speeds to inject some interest into an otherwise drab shot.

still, it was great to get out trackside again after having the last two tests snowed off.
Attached Thumbnails
SE 1.jpg   SE 2.jpg  
Old 27 Mar 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1262971)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at Silverstone yesterday for the opening round of Britcar, the race was on the international layout and I had bit of a knightmare to be honest, it was OK at Abbey as you could get above the fences.

The only other place that was any good on the outside of the track between Bridge and where the national track joins the international one. I go for the long walk down to outside of Copse and wasn't happy at all.

But everywhere else was awful and I just felt that little bit too far away with my 300m lens.

Last edited by rdjones; 27 Mar 2005 at 15:58.