Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:22 (Ref:663321)   #1
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So. What's the Montréal event like?

Well, such is my frustration with the British Eurosport coverage of CART this side of the pond (), I'm pondering spending a few days checking out the Montréal race. I've only ever been able to spend a few hours in Vancouver, but Canada seems like a nice place There's not really many motorsport events that are held so close to touristy places, so I reckon this'd be a nice few days. Tickets are apparently still available, likewise hotel accomodation.
  • I can't find a timetable for the weeekend at the circuit. Anyone? What are the support races usually? I guess local FFord, etc? Worth going to 'em all?
  • Good seats? I'm thinking the hairpin/turn 10 would give a good view. Though, with gold tickets + pass you get the chance to wander about the pits. Tempting...
  • How does the paddock pass deal work? Limited to particular times, etc? Is it worth it all - what am I likely to see?

Thanks fer any thoughts!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:31 (Ref:663335)   #2
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hairpin is a good place to watch (I watched from there last year).

The paddock is very crowded and a long walk from the hairpin (it is a round about route you are required to take). We sold off our paddock pass for Saturday and Sunday as it was so crowded. If you want one you can probably get one for a day cheap from a scalper.

Likely a Barber Dodge race and an Atlantic races. Both are usually worth watching. Overall we had a good time in Montreal.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:37 (Ref:663341)   #3
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The paddock pass gets you into the paddock all day long anytime you want. The VIP pit pass gets you into the pits for 45 minutes at a pre-set time (I thinks it only happens once a day).

Last edited by mirwin; 16 Jul 2003 at 21:37.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 22:26 (Ref:663386)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there's a track I know more about...

ok, firstly book your hotel reservation ASAP. They'll fill up quickly... if you decide not to go, you can almost always cancel without penalty, though ask in advance.

Tickets shouldn't be a problem, but if you want a particular grandstand, don't leave it too late.

The best place to watch the race (IMO) is grandstand 12 or possibly 11. They'd give you a good view of the first corner, where there's always action. The hairpin grandstand 15 is probably pretty good too.

Bring your walking shoes though! It's about a half hour walk from the hairpin to the paddock...but it's worth the trip, as there are quite a few good general admission spots to watch the action from (unlike during the F1 race).

The paddock area is on the outside of the track from turn 1 to the final chicane. A paddock pass gives you complete access to this area at all times up until the race. You can watch the teams bring their cars too and from the pitlane(try to stay out of the way!) and work on them between sessions...many drivers and other celebs sign autographs here too. It can be very crowded around the middle of the day, especially Saturday, but usually isn't too bad in the morning. IMO the pass is worth the extra money to get up close to the racecars, drivers, Cart personalities and many other things you otherwise wouldn't see. If I'm not doing the journalism thing, I wouldn't go to a Cart race without one.

mrwin, that's how the pitlane passes work at some tracks, but not Montreal. The pitlane at Montreal is very different from other Cart tracks because of the F1 garage building, which is about 2 meters behind the pitwall. While the teams and crews work in the area between the garage and the pitwall (very crowded), the fans with 'pit-lane walkthru' passes are allowed inside the garages themselves at all times except the race itself. From here you can get a very closeup view of the teams in the pitlane during practice/quali. If you get a gold ticket, it's definately worth it...best photo ops! But if that's too rich for you (it would be for me), no worries...you get closer to the cars in the paddock.

Support races confirmed are: Toyota Atlantic (probably late Saturday), Barber Dodge (prob early Sunday) and Fran-Am (?? time). Formula Ford was a support race for the F1 weekend, and won't be returning (too bad..).

Also, if you're after autographs, there are autograph sessions throughout the weekend (big one's usually late Friday) that everyone can attend.

The city is great (you have to check out Old Montreal, especially for restaurants!).. St. Catherines street is probably the bussiest...many stores, fast food...strip clubs.

Argh...I think I covered it.... questions?

Last edited by Jay; 16 Jul 2003 at 22:34.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jul 2003, 03:54 (Ref:663539)   #5
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.molsonindymontreal.com/anglais/index.html
That's where info is supposed to be. If you go to "information" and "schedule" it says coming soon.... so it's coming soon.... I guess. Check the french site too. It's not up there yet, but without a doubt it will be updated in advance of the English one, but probably at about the same time. I wish I could go to that race...
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:00 (Ref:663541)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If you bring a big Canadian flag, we'll see you on TV! I don't think I saw a single one last year.

Support races are Toyota Atlantics and Barber Dodges.
http://www.cart.com/Event/Events.asp?ID=460
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:13 (Ref:663549)   #7
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if it's attention you want, bring an Irish flag. That'll confuse people enough to pay attention to you. Or maybe a skull and crossbones, or perhaps the symbol of the artist formerly known as Prince...
Old 17 Jul 2003, 04:22 (Ref:663552)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
macdaddy, Fran-Am is also racing there (cart.com isn't the greatest source for track info...their media guide is missing a lot too). Fran-Am (FRenault) provided some of the best racing on many weekends thus far...and with a large purse the sharp end of the grid is very sharp. Well worth watching. Interestingly they had two races during the Grand Prix weekend as well...

You're right though, I don't remember many flags...still, I"ve never seen grandstands so full on Friday as it was last year.

The website isn't great....figure out exactly where you want to sit in a particular grandstand, and call the phone number. They should be able to get you your seats exactly where you want them (if they're not already taken).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jul 2003, 12:01 (Ref:663797)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montreal was an excellent race last year. One of the best features is the subway that goes right to the Circuit (although for those who don't have access to the Media Shuttle, it's a long walk once you are on the island). There are also a lot of street parties and a good display of classic cars and show cars downtown during the weekend, and nearly every shop has something race-related in their windows. The people of Montreal are used to hosting race weekends and they do a very smooth and elegant job of it. (Someone who worked at the VIA Rail station last year said that the whole city had been reminded that racing brought $78 million to the city coffers every year and therefore they should not whine and complain in public but be enthusiastic and helpful -- and most people do that.)

The paddock is crammed to the doors, but all the drivers have said that the fans at Montreal are polite and understanding that the drivers are there to drive and if they give you an autograph or photo op out of hours, it's something to thank them for, not just to assume it is part of their job. You will see a lot of drivers and crews around and most of them will grant your request if they can. Don't expect much from the Canadians though as they are absolutely trampled and swarmed all weekend. They do their best, but they are only human. And if you see somebody on a paddock bike who looks as if he's on a mission, try to get out of his way and let him through. Sometimes it's almost impossible!

Go if you can. You'll enjoy it!