Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 May 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1617129)   #1
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Le Mans "Best Food Stall" Thread

As requested...

IMHO...

At the Circuit.

1) Tartiflette
2) Merguez sandwich
3) Cheve Chaud (melted goat's cheese on a baguette)
4) Grand Marnier crepes
5) The nearest beer stand
6) Churros

Around Town

1) Legends Cafe (waitresses in Sparco racesuits, what's not to like?)
2) Pub Bureau (same chain as #1)
3) Quick Burger (mmm pink burger goo)
Old 23 May 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1617162)   #2
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"1) Legends Cafe (waitresses in Sparco racesuits, what's not to like?)"

I'm certainly paying that a visit!!
Old 23 May 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1617179)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey, where can I get chevre chaud? That sounds wonderful! Of course I could always just make some over the camp stove if I can't find the place....

keke
Old 23 May 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1617204)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Didn't see the Grand Marnier crepes stall last year, but yep that always gets my custom. Always liked the old chicken rotisery by the tunnel but I think that went a few years ago.

Best chip stall is at Arnarge corner.

Best cafe, at a little village called Le Grand Luce, full of race memorabilia and paintings (often for sale). Lovely setting good food and full of locals not tourist.
Old 23 May 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1617209)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6
Best cafe, at a little village called Le Grand Luce, full of race memorabilia and paintings (often for sale). Lovely setting good food and full of locals not tourist.
That should provoke a comment from one of our mods..........
Old 23 May 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1617278)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, 3 and 4 it is for me....two of my favourite things! Love French food, looking forward to having the time there.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1617284)   #7
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merguez from Arnage, Grand Marnier crepes from the village - both regular favourites - but will someone enlighten me on Tartiflette? I always get a bit scared when I see that giant frying pan and have never dared (not helped by my travelling companions making various off-putting remarks about its appearance, best not repeated).

So, what's it made of/taste like, and should I ignore my heathen mates and get a dollop?
Old 23 May 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1617296)   #8
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre200
but will someone enlighten me on Tartiflette?

So, what's it made of/taste like, and should I ignore my heathen mates and get a dollop?
Invented by the producers of reblochon cheese in the 80s as a PR exercise. More info here. Gotta say, damn tasty, but I prefer roast chicken or merguez.

And FWIW, if anyone is looking for one of the most incredible restaurants in the area (recommended by our homestay hosts in 2004) check this place out. 16km from Le Mans in Guecelard. We went on the Friday evening and it was very quiet, a nice respite from the chaos of Le Mans and Arnage. The owner took very good care of us and it counts as one of the top 5 meals I've ever had.
Old 23 May 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1617324)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
Hey, where can I get chevre chaud? That sounds wonderful!
Although it might not be there this year due to the village refurbishment, the stall that sells the Chevre Chaud is a wooden chalet style kiosk at the southern end of the aisle that is closest to the pits. They do several different toasted baguette things which all look good.
Old 23 May 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1617394)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Although it might not be there this year due to the village refurbishment, the stall that sells the Chevre Chaud is a wooden chalet style kiosk at the southern end of the aisle that is closest to the pits. They do several different toasted baguette things which all look good.
If it's the stall I'm thinking of it's the largest in that row, their menu is huge. I've had a number of things from there, all good. I'd be surprised if they weren't somewhere in the Village this year.

Usually though, we'd carry on to the 'merguez man' at the end of that row of stalls........
Old 23 May 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1617407)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6

I've been going to Le Grand Luce pretty well every year since 1994 but I've no idea of the cafe you're referring to.......

The Grand Marnier stall was there last year (as always).

1. Merguez sandwich (as many as posible)
2. Champagne stall (OK, I know you don't eat it.....)
3. Omelette, kebab and cider stall at Arnage
4. Grand Marnier stall
5. Any of those lovely baguettes with fromage et jambon.......
Old 24 May 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1617602)   #12
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sausage stall at Tertre Rouge does it for me.
Old 24 May 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1617636)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Aysedasi

Cafe at le Grand Luce is in the main square (well where the buses stop) on the right heading from Ecommoy to La Charte sur le Loire, another must visit for all Le Mans regulars.
Old 24 May 2006, 07:49 (Ref:1617645)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6
Aysedasi

Cafe at le Grand Luce is in the main square (well where the buses stop) on the right heading from Ecommoy to La Charte sur le Loire, another must visit for all Le Mans regulars.
Interesting. We've sat in the main square many times eating and drinking stuff bought from the local shops but we've obviously missed the cafe.....
Old 24 May 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1617661)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There used to be a Ghandi on the other side of town , but i didnt rate it much . That was a good few years ago though . Just wondering if its improved in all those years ?

You cant go far wrong with a Croque Misour (spelt that wrong)

Are the kababs that good at Arnage ?

There is also a great chinese restaurant in the main street called Mandarin du Le Mans . Great peking duck and mini spring rolls , and a sexy waitress or two too !!!

Down at the bottom of the town there is a restaurant called "Picadilly" , some good food to be had there , and around the corner there is a nice seafood restaurant too .

I do find it hard to get my snails in Le Mans , anybody got any idea where ?

The Mexican in the old town has changed hands last year and i wouldnt be surprised if it was no more this year cuz the food all tasted the same . It used to be good .

But at the end of the day ..... when in Rome , do as the Roman's do , eat French food , cuz they "DO" know how to cook !!!
Old 24 May 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1617685)   #16
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
It really is getting close now - I can smell the bbqs grilling! My favs for what its worth:
1. Merguez predictably - for me it is the taste of Le Mans.
2. Tartiflette - Really tasty and a welcome alternative when you really can't face anymore bbq food.
3. Crepe Grand Marnier - If this was in the UK you would get a mean drizzle of the stuff, depending on the chef it can be a large Grand Marnier with a side helping of crepe!
4. Pizza baguettes - from the wooden hut in the Village.

My annual words of warning though. I took a veggie mate one year and the wooden hut in the village was the only place with any non-meat food, and that was only 2 varieties of cheese baguette
Old 24 May 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1617814)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS

My annual words of warning though. I took a veggie mate one year and the wooden hut in the village was the only place with any non-meat food, and that was only 2 varieties of cheese baguette

Tell your "veggie mate" to take some "vegemite" with him next time........ (If you say that with an Oz accent it sounds the same anyway...... )
Old 24 May 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1617817)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
There used to be a Ghandi on the other side of town , but i didnt rate it much . That was a good few years ago though . Just wondering if its improved in all those years ?

You cant go far wrong with a Croque Misour (spelt that wrong)

Are the kababs that good at Arnage ?

Croque Monsieur, I believe......

Have you had a Croque Madame though? You get an egg on the top - absolutely lovely. Had one in Saumur after Le Mans one year......

As to the kebabs, I confess I haven't had one for a few years as I normally have either merguez and frites or omelette and frites - but the omelettes make a really nice chance and the frites and mustard are terrific. And do wash it down with a bottle or two of cider - fabulous!

Jeez, I can taste it all now - BRING IT ON!!!!
Old 24 May 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1617836)   #19
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
And do wash it down with a bottle or two of cider - fabulous!
Cider is for Tramps and Teenagers.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1617851)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
In case of bad weather you can't forget the "Hot Chocolate" A couple of years ago that was the best thing, cold soaking wet and unable to see anything but spray, but a cup of something hot kept us going.
Old 24 May 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1617863)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Cider is for Tramps and Teenagers.
Only ifyou drink Woodpecker or Strongbow or other similar kiddie sh**e. Get some good vintage cider or decent French stuff and you won;t want to go back to beer......
Old 24 May 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1617988)   #22
six degrees
Rookie

United Kingdom
six degrees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgb
The sausage stall at Tertre Rouge does it for me.
I'll not argue with that... we didn't eat too much stall food last year (mostly cooked ourselves with... varying levels of success!) but that stall was fantastic - a few saucisses in a baguette with fries! was most welcome after trekking through the rain to get trackside on wednesday evening last year
Old 24 May 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1617995)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Only ifyou drink Woodpecker or Strongbow or other similar kiddie sh**e. Get some good vintage cider or decent French stuff and you won;t want to go back to beer......
I'd rather find the champagne stall ta
Old 24 May 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1618074)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
I'd rather find the champagne stall ta

I like both. Cider to quench the thirst and champagne when you want a really civilised drink.......
Old 24 May 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1618077)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by six degrees
I'll not argue with that... we didn't eat too much stall food last year (mostly cooked ourselves with... varying levels of success!) but that stall was fantastic - a few saucisses in a baguette with fries! was most welcome after trekking through the rain to get trackside on wednesday evening last year

If I were you, I'd watch those saucisse very carefully indeed..... If you're talking real sausages, fair enough, but those split plastic skinned orange things are surely the devil's work. Don't eat them on Saturday, you'll be too ill on Sunday to watch the end of the race......