Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 Mar 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1870864)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finish this track - a challenge

As I was doodling around today, I came up with 3 quarters of a 2000s-style Grand Prix circuit layout (and in a way, it's a ginger ). But there is still a gaping hole in it. Now I'd like to ask you, fellow mytrackers, to please finish it.

The track runs clockwise. It's got the pitlane and paddock on the outside, which is fairly uncommon for circuits of the 2000s era. I haven't thought much about elevation changes yet, besides that the missing passage is meant to run moderately uphill. The length of the track can be estimated from the length of the pitlane (say, 700 meters), so the overall length of the finished track is likely to be longer than 6.5 kilometers.

The right-hander Turn 1 is a multi-apex corner, through which several different lines are possible. For a gearshift with 7 gears, it's probably to be taken in 4th at the beginning and 3rd at its end. The left-hander Turn 2 that follows suit is then used to accelerate out onto the next straight, which ends turning right into Turn 3, which has a smaller radius than Turn 2, but less angle to go round, so it should be faster.
It's important to get clean through Turn 3, because there is a highspeed passage to follow. The first part of that is the straight leading up to the Esses. The first of the two Esses was modelled on the Becketts-Maggots combination from Silverstone. But instead of Chapel, there follows the 2nd of the Esses, which are to be taken full throttle, because they have much larger radii. And the 3rd part of the passage is the backstraight that leads up to the hairpin on the bottom right side of the diagram.
Then, where the hole is, there is most likely an uphill passage which ends at a 3rd gear left-hander, at the apex of which there is the highest point of the circuit. Next, the track descends again towards the pits, beginning with a straight that fades into that long and fast multi-apex corner at the center of the track diagram, which ends at the back of the paddock in a right-left chicane through which fits only one car in 3rd gear (for 2 cars it's considerably slower). And after that, the track tightens towards the left with the final corner, which has its slowest point at its exit (2nd gear). And then, the start-finish line isn't far away anymore.

Here's a bigger version for your edits: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...g/9ba943f0.jpg

Have fun!

Bye
Yannick
Old 21 Mar 2007, 00:14 (Ref:1872711)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Not particularly exciting...
Old 22 Mar 2007, 13:17 (Ref:1873749)   #3
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're all going to look about the same. You didn't give us much to work it. That area we have to work with is pretty cramped.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1874745)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
They're all going to look about the same. You didn't give us much to work it. That area we have to work with is pretty cramped.
Of course you can edit other areas of the track, too, if you like, as Pirenzo has already done.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 17:07 (Ref:1875922)   #5
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've edited almost the whole of the original track, whilst keeping most of the corner shapes.

I've lengthened the main straight & tightened the first 2 corners al la Sepang. An open corner & a short straight leads to a steeply uphill corner with a blind exit. The corner is faster than it first seems as the camber of the corner aids corner speeds. A long straight leads to a section of very fast esses, the first half steeply downhill & the second half steeply uphill to the apex of the righthanger leading onto the next straight. This corner is nearly blind on exit & there is a slight negative camber pushing cars out to the edge of the track. After a small kink the straight runs over a crest downhill to the hairpin. After the hairpin the track climbs steeply uphill with the first of the slight righthanders being blind as the apex is just over the crest. The second of the corners is downhill with a very positive camber. The next corner is a triple apexed corner that does downhill throughout, with a positive camber on the first 2 parts of the corner. A slight lefthander leads onto the uphill straight leading to the fast righthander. The first half of the corner is uphill with a crest midway through the corner. The second half is downhill with a slight camber as the corner opens out. There is an optional chicane on the exit of the corner. A medium right-left esse follows (instead of the original chicane) leading to the slow, second gear, left handed final corner. I've also moved the pits to the inside for safety & practical reasons.

Opinions?......

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 25 Mar 2007, 19:14 (Ref:1876053)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now that I like.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1878739)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Alwaysfirst, that's very impressive. Thanks for posting.