Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Apr 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3233144)   #1
Pilgrim1975
Rookie

Pilgrim1975 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi - Time To Move On?

There's no question whatsoever that Audi have had a magnificent run at La Sarthe. They've won multiple outright victories, solved the riddle of which teams of drivers are best suited for each car, fought off successive challengers including the might of the Peugeot factory team and generally set a new benchmark for what a truly legendary Le Mans team should be able to achieve and how to achieve it.

But what else is there? They've done pretty much everything a team can do, their position for this year doesn't look likely to be much different to pretty much every other year they've entered, I don't see a significant threat other than possibly Toyota for an outright victory (Porsche don't even arrive as a factory team until 2014 assuming the sportscar programme at Weissach isn't pulled before then) and it's looking rather a lot like it'll be yet another Audi parade.

I'm not knocking the team or the drivers. Like I said, they've set a new benchmark for what a team can achieve. But, having achieved it all already, is it now time forAudi to say 'Auf Wiedersehen' to La Sarthe, rest on their (many) laurels and let someone else in for a crack at immortality? Even when Bentley won in 2003 it was essentially an Audi wearing a different badge and paint job.

Are Audi actually harming the 24 Hours by remaining there?
Old 12 Apr 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3233191)   #2
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm starting to wonder if they want to pull off the 17.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3233298)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well they could decide to let their sister company have a free passage after this year but I suspect we will still see Audi there in 2014
Old 13 Apr 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3233328)   #4
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
I have no doubt that Audi will remain in endurance racing for years to come. The 24h of Le Mans race is now very much in Audi's DNA and an integral part of their development and market strategy.

Are Audi harming the 24h of Le Mans by remaining there ? Definitely not. The race rather needs to attract even more interest from constructors and from chassis and engine manufacturers.

There is always the possibility that Audi may leave at one point in time and one may wonder how harmful such a departure could be.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3233358)   #5
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Though the Porsche LMP was ready, it had been never entered when Audi came with the R8-R in 1999. It would be a nice surprise if we see both Porsche and Audi next year.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3233387)   #6
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well they could decide to let their sister company have a free passage after this year but I suspect we will still see Audi there in 2014
Ullrich already said they are busy developing the 2014 car and it was hard for them to improve the actual car while creating a new car.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3233401)   #7
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Though the Porsche LMP was ready, it had been never entered when Audi came with the R8-R in 1999. It would be a nice surprise if we see both Porsche and Audi next year.
The LMP2000 wasn't ready in 1999 to race. It's design had only been finished by May, they had to start making it too.

It may will be the case that Porsche got the Cayenne, and Audi got the Le Mans win, a deal made by Piëch and Wiedeking.

Source of the speculation: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/porschelmp1.html
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3233416)   #8
TR.
Rookie

United Kingdom
TR. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim1975 View Post
Even when Bentley won in 2003 it was essentially an Audi wearing a different badge and paint job.
The project was initially started by VW AG, with Audi only getting involved with the project once the potential of the car was realised. The engine was from Audi, but that was about it.

I have been told Peugeot will be back soon don't worry.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3233422)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I have been told Peugeot will be back soon don't worry. [/QUOTE]

Where did you hear that
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3233426)   #10
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
No, it would be a surprise if Audi does leave, since all of the comments that have come from VAG's, Porsche's or Audi's mouth, indicate that there is no problem with the in-company rivalry. And since dev on 2014 is already going on...

The opening post of this thread almost made me angry. Start wishing manufacturers to leave when we have 10 of them.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3233438)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have been told Peugeot will be back soon don't worry.
Where did you hear that[/QUOTE]

Some kind of source reference would be good.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3233449)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Where did you hear that
Some kind of source reference would be good.[/QUOTE]

Original quote can from TR, i asked the same question
Old 13 Apr 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3233511)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry, quite right Simon. The quote came out rather strangely on Tapatalk.....
Old 13 Apr 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3233534)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What is there left for Audi to do at Le Mans? Keep winning it, of course, and to see off Toyota as they largely did Peugeot.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3233628)   #15
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Must say, Thank you Audi for racing at LM. Although it was a little dull last few years I liked them. A little more noise though would be nice.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3233687)   #16
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I can't see a way to put 2011's race in the category 'Dull'. 2010 was also very good in my book.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3233796)   #17
TR.
Rookie

United Kingdom
TR. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Where did you hear that

Some kind of source reference would be good.
Sorry I have no reference, but I have a friend who is electronics engineer for Peugeot Sport.

If Toyota can make it to the end of the race this year they will be fighting for the win judging on last years speed. Should be good race.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3234327)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I hope Toyota win. IMO it would be best for others to serve as example. I just hope they pull it off this time after being denied with the TS020 last time around. Audi can stay so they can serve as a punching bag for Toyota
Old 15 Apr 2013, 07:46 (Ref:3234405)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
well yesterday must have been a wake up call for Toyota the Audi's appeared to be in a different race
Old 15 Apr 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3234463)   #20
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's hope they wake up in time, so it will be an interesting 24. Enjoyed it though.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3234512)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
well yesterday must have been a wake up call for Toyota the Audi's appeared to be in a different race
I'm far from convinced about that. 2013 cars against 2012 cars - I still don't think we will see how competitive Toyota are until Le Mans.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3234619)   #22
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
For me, new car or no, what was striking was that this was the first time I could remember that Audi, over the course of 1,000 km / 6 hours, comprehensively trounced the opposition.

Appreciating it's a different set of scenarios, and that there was a degree of Peugeot and Audi avoiding each other, but Audi were never able to do something like this in all the years of that rivalry. It's reinforced by the suspicion we've all had, that something is awry in the Audi/Joest race strategy department - yesterday pretty clearly indicated we might not be correct there at all.

Regarding Toyota - I wonder if they were caught out by running an essentially full season in 2012? Had they just run Le Mans and say Fuji we might have thought they were relatively rapid, but not got the clear impression that over 6 hours they might have the edge, which might not have driven the Audi development efforts that took place over the winter.

Fascinating either way, and time for Audi to pack up and go? No, I don't think so...
Old 15 Apr 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3234685)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I agree the difference between the Audi's and the Toyota's was much greater than expected and yes the 2013 car will be an improvement but I think there will be a lot of questions being asked in Toyota today where as Audi will be feeling very pleased with the new car
Old 15 Apr 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3234766)   #24
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim1975 View Post
ought off successive challengers including the might of the Peugeot factory team
Successive challengers? Yes they beat Peugeot but the Toyota challenge has hardly begun and the only other time there has been any kind of challenge has been when Audi's factory effort was away preparing the R10.

Quote:
But what else is there?
Beat Porsche, the most successful Le Mans manufacturer in an outright fight. Or beat their record?

Quote:
Are Audi actually harming the 24 Hours by remaining there?
Put it another way, no Audi = Toyota parade.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3234930)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Did you realize they started on the wrong tire compound and that caused the excessive wear Then on top of it they were able to go 25 laps on a stint compared to audi's 23! The thing that took them out of contention was they stayed on the wrong tire compound for too long and had to change the tires EVERY early pit stop (Audi had the correct compound and could double stint). Then the #7 car did another 2 unneeded pit stops to put on and take off intermediate tires when the short rain period started/ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
For me, new car or no, what was striking was that this was the first time I could remember that Audi, over the course of 1,000 km / 6 hours, comprehensively trounced the opposition.

Appreciating it's a different set of scenarios, and that there was a degree of Peugeot and Audi avoiding each other, but Audi were never able to do something like this in all the years of that rivalry. It's reinforced by the suspicion we've all had, that something is awry in the Audi/Joest race strategy department - yesterday pretty clearly indicated we might not be correct there at all.

Regarding Toyota - I wonder if they were caught out by running an essentially full season in 2012? Had they just run Le Mans and say Fuji we might have thought they were relatively rapid, but not got the clear impression that over 6 hours they might have the edge, which might not have driven the Audi development efforts that took place over the winter.

Fascinating either way, and time for Audi to pack up and go? No, I don't think so...
They won 3 out of the 6 races they entered with one car last year, it was the right decision. Regarding Audi's 'development' Toyota's best lap was 1:43.1 with last year's car compared to Audi's best of 1:42.7 with this year's car. An anomaly happens every now and then. Remember last season Toyota lapped both Audis at Interlagos.

Point is, Audi should stay so there is more factory competition, and Toyota aren't worried much about their performance, they just got the tire choice wrong. 2 manufacturers to me is good, but 3 or 4 would be GREAT!