Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Feb 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2856373)   #1
ianroke
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
ianroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wifi at Le Mans

What is Wifi like at Le Mans? Are there places to charge your phone up or is it a case of running a car engine with car charger?

I'm getting excited now!
Old 13 Feb 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2856374)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianroke View Post
What is Wifi like at Le Mans? Are there places to charge your phone up or is it a case of running a car engine with car charger?

I'm getting excited now!
There is some WiFi about but charging is a problem, best charge up electrics on the way down and use sparingly.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2856375)   #3
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LeMans is the only time i'm going to McDonald's and that's because of wifi
I've been searching about local prepaid 3G Internet but offers aren't that great so if locals can give us a hint would be perfect

regarding charging .. it depends on the campsite .. but i managed to charge laptop/camera/mp3/radio even at the track ..

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Feb 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2856376)   #4
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
I've been searching about local prepaid 3G Internet but offers aren't that great so if locals can give us a hint would be perfect

regarding charging .. it depends on the campsite .. but i managed to charge laptop/camera/mp3/radio even at the track ..
Looking for 3mounths now for mobile Internet in France ,but no useful Result .Hope that I can find over the Test Day Weekend some Information .
Old 13 Feb 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2856377)   #5
photopigg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dover, Kent
photopigg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@lemansfan, if you have any luck with wifi, would you be kind enough to let us all know please, THANKS in advance
Old 13 Feb 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2856378)   #6
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is the list of the wifi hotspots in le mans : http://www.linternaute.com/wifi/loca.../le_mans.shtml . As I don't use this kind of connection, I don't know them. I've read it's possible to connect free at "Place de la République" just in the center of Le Mans ( PC or compatible phone ) to confirm. Try to get some information about.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2856380)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was thinking about wifi at Le Mans. I may bring an ipad (which is difficult to get foreign 3G for!).

Anyway, I've split off the wifi posts from the general thread for those who may find it useful.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2861849)   #8
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solar for charging.....
Old 11 Apr 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2862052)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
How times change, it used to be that you sneaked into McD's for a baz as they had clean toilets.

On the subject of telephones, I've recently got an Android smartphone and have until June to work out how to turn off the 'net and email on it otherwise I foresee a large bill accidentally. I might just put the SIM back into my old Nokia at least that stands a chance of having the battery lasting into a 2nd day.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2862154)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
How times change, it used to be that you sneaked into McD's for a baz as they had clean toilets.

On the subject of telephones, I've recently got an Android smartphone and have until June to work out how to turn off the 'net and email on it otherwise I foresee a large bill accidentally. I might just put the SIM back into my old Nokia at least that stands a chance of having the battery lasting into a 2nd day.
Exactly what I'm thinking about with my iPhone. Battery life is useless.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2862653)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Solar for charging.....
That is what I'd do. You can get portable solar panels now which are good enough to charge up phones and laptops, and work perfectly well in cloudy conditions. They're pretty cheap nowadays too.

But knowing me I'd forget to bring the lead to plug my phone in...
Old 13 Apr 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2862990)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking about with my iPhone. Battery life is useless.

I have one of those plug in recharging devices - you charge it up and it gives you two full recharges on the move.... Lifesaver last year (as was Bentley's cigar lighter socket during the early hours of Sunday morning..... ).
Old 13 Apr 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2863015)   #13
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Mains hook-up on our campsite; mains charger as at home.... what's the problem?
:-)
Old 14 Apr 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2863498)   #14
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

In the event that you haven't yet worked it out - go to Moore Solutions at

www.moore.gb.net

and navigate to the "Android" section.

Hope it's of help
Old 15 Apr 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2863606)   #15
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Le Vieux (if that indeed is your real name) that looks simple enough. Although I still think it would be best to just use my old phone as without the online functionality the smartphone just becomes a heavy phone with poor battery life.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2870075)   #16
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Just back from the Test Day . SFR has a special Offer until June 6th .
Surfstick included 3GB for 3 days 39,99 € . Later you can charge 250 MB for 16 hours for 9€ .
Old 26 Apr 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2870099)   #17
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheap lesure battery and 150w inverter. You'l be able to charge your phone and any other gismos you may have. Can also watch TV/Films if you take a laptop. A 75 Ah battery will gove you more than enough power for the full week (and if it gets low you can charge it up with jump leads from your car for 1/2 hour).
Old 26 Apr 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2870129)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks Le Vieux (if that indeed is your real name).
I think not, but I suspect it's somehow very fitting......
Old 27 Apr 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2870384)   #19
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think not, but I suspect it's somehow very fitting......
Correct!

But not quite at the zimmer frame stage - yet.

Getting out of bed when camping becomes increasingly difficult with the passing years - but at least I [U]can[U] still get out of bed!
Old 3 May 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2873641)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Why is it every time I look at this thread title in the sub-forum index, I think it's something to do with one of you bringing your other half to the race.......?
Old 4 May 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2873845)   #21
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Why is it every time I look at this thread title in the sub-forum index, I think it's something to do with one of you bringing your other half to the race.......?

Well, I am indeed bringing my "wifi" to the race for her very first visit, although she has been forced to pass through Le Mans on several holidays over the past 35+ years, when it seemed that the best route from A to B was via Le Mans!
Old 5 May 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2874911)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
First visit eh? Well, I hope she's going to stay up all night during the race........!
Old 5 May 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2875012)   #23
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
First visit eh? Well, I hope she's going to stay up all night during the race........!
I'll ask her tomorrow morning when she gets out of bed.....