Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 31 Aug 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2278740)   #1
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton Race of Aces-1960s and '70s

Am I on my own in remembering with great fondness the days of the Race of Aces at Snetterton?I remember that if you were a bike fan it was THE race to see,and back then the crowds were far higher,I recall many of us were entertained by the huge diversity of road bikes which the race seemed to attract. Yes, there was a degree of "poseur"but , if the racing was a little staid,you always had lots to look at!(and some of the female passengers were nice,too).Racers like Percy Tait, Ray Pickrell,Dave Degens ,Ray Knight and many others were frequent visitors, I recall.Just to walk around the track was a major exercise,there were so many people there.Riding your machine around ,especially the infield was often difficult, so it often helped if your bike had reverse cone meggas fitted(remember those?)
I have been unable to find any pictures of those heady days, so if any older bikers have any they would like to show us, I for one would be very interested.
Regards to all ,
Snett fan55.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2280089)   #2
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was a great meeting. I have some photo's somewhere as my father was in the St John's ambulance and always was on duty at Snett and always took me along as well. I lost my autograph book with many of the great names in - Hailwood, Agostini, Read etc all gathered from the Race Of Aces meeting. I will try and dig out some photo's and will let you know what I can find.

Are you going to the Snett Classic Race Of Aces meeting on the 7th Sept ?