just a thought i had today.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1351268)   #2
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymutt
just a thought i had today.
I'm not speculating yet, its certainly a possibility, but, I'm not certain where he will be next year yet, likely to be Williams I suppose.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1351272)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's already a thread for thoughts as to whether Honda will be with Williams next year. If Jenson goes to Williams (and Bernie believes he will, according to reports today), it will be because he contractually has to, not as part of any Honda deal - why would they dump their most marketable asset with their second-string team>
Old 9 Jul 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1351277)   #4
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cause the second string team has results on the board.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1351278)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it had been generally accepted that Jenson had to go to Williams if he didn't achieve at least 70% of the WDC leader's points haul come Round 9 (or something) of the championship?

Or did that never move beyond the arena of Certainty in Ambiguity? I guess anything involving contracts can't.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1351294)   #6
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well according to the latest silly season rumours JB is heading for RED! So will that give us a Williams-Ferrari? No I dont think so either on either count.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1351319)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think out of all the rumours I'd put my money a Button - Williams Honda link up as the most likely.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1351324)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It makes sense for Honda, they obviously hold Button in high regard and it helps he's extremely marketable. If they're going to lose him it softens the blow if he still has 'Honda' on the overalls.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1351340)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I thought it had been generally accepted that Jenson had to go to Williams if he didn't achieve at least 70% of the WDC leader's points haul come Round 9 (or something) of the championship?
Williams have first "right of refusal" on him is what I think the situation is. So that means Williams have first say on if they want him or not. It doesn't mean they will necessarily take him on, but that they will have first right on his services.

I keep hearing rumours on here about BMW taking Heidfeld with them to their new team (BMW engineers rate him highly it seems). It was even mentioned on the ITV commentary today but I don't know if there is necessarily any substance to this.

Massa is not under to contract to Sauber/BMW next year I think. Villeneuve is, but it was thought earlier in the year that he may well be bought out of this contract. He is improving his performances now though, so he may well be there next year. From what he's saying and his improvements in driving it certainly seems that Villeneuve wants to be.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1351387)   #10
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would personally bet my life savings on Jenson in a Williams-Honda in 2006.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1351415)   #11
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where does that leave BAR?
Old 9 Jul 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1351416)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BAR would still have plenty of good drivers to choose from.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1351490)   #13
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bar = davidson and sato.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1351550)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not Karthikeyan/Cosworth/Tata to Williams?
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1352003)   #15
Not Rated
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
Not Rated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today on Speed, Frank Williams told Peter Windsor that they are seriously looking at three options and will make an announcement in 6 to 8 weeks. He also said that it will be a partnership, NOT a customer agreement.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1352021)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Would Williams not "sell" Button back to BAR in exchange for Honda engines?
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1352082)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was just about to say exactly the same myself. Williams get a 'works' Honda engine deal in return for allowing JB to stay at BAR. Now that is about the most sensible thing for everyone I believe.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1352316)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From a thread I posted back in May.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69018

The scenario for example.
BMW buys into Sauber, but maintains it's deal with Williams, but, knowing that your old toys are inevitably always cast aside for the new ones, SFW may figure that it's better to get out of the deal rather than face a 'dripping tap' of BMW increasing their commitment to Sauber, relegating Williams to a bit part.

Button, watching from the sidelines can see that Williams are having another slow start to the season and will probably face a reduced 'commitment' from BMW in the short/medium term. Despite the recent debacle, he knows that Honda are commited to BAR (having bought into the team) and will continue to supply 'works' engines and funding.

BAR Honda will want to keep Button and knowing that the performance clause is going against them, decide to cut a favourable deal for engine supply to Williams, in return for tearing up the contract with Button. Possibly with Ant D moving to Williams as part of the deal.

So for 2006 we have.

Williams Honda - Webber and Davidson
Sauber BMW - Heidfeld and A N other - JV/Massa or another BMW contracted driver.
BAR Honda - as per 2005.

It could happen.

Still looks likely to me.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1352318)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree thats the most likely scenario, all others dont really allow all the parts of the puzzle to fall into place. So, what are next weeks lotto numbers ST
Old 12 Jul 2005, 02:07 (Ref:1353128)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unless Williams gets a Lexus engine and Williams Lexus move on happily with Jenson Button as a driver, while BAR search for a replacement.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1353183)   #21
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of my thoughts:

JV still has a contract for next year, what happens if SFW plays it the opposite way and gets out of what ever BMW contract they have but keeps NH?

Grandprix.com (Ie: Joe Saward) are leaning towards the Toyota side of things, which means that chances are that's whats going to happen. Having said that we won't know for sure untill end of the month.

And finally, the other rumour is that for the interm Williams will use Cosworths before getting Toyotas (Depending on whether Jordan resign/pay with Toyota), but even I can tell you the Cosworth is going to be pants next year, where as BMWs won't, for the pure reason that Cosworth don't have the ability to pump out an awsome F1 spec V8 between now and then, the Champcar engine hasn't changed for a couple of years, and their IRL engine is being pantsed by Honda (And to some extent the Penske-Toyota)...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1353201)   #22
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Why not Karthikeyan/Cosworth/Tata to Williams?

Ohh how i wish !!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1353309)   #23
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just found out while sussing out getting a Autosport subscription that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport

Toyota chiefs have ruled out a supply of customer engines for Williams next year after the Japanese car manufacturer confirmed that it plans to extend its deal with Jordan, Autosport-Atlas can reveal.
www.autosport.com

Sooo...what now then?!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1354250)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My guess is Cosworth in '06 and Toyota/Lexus in '07.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1354467)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yet Sir Frank is saying he's looking for a long-term partnership. I don't know why some people think the '06 Cosworth engine is going to be terrible; after all, this year's unit is pretty handy. I think it'll be Williams-Cosworth, on a long-term deal.