Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jul 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1349674)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda sportscar engines

Autosport are today reporting that Honda are working on a 3.4 LMP2 engine for 2006, with the possibility of a twin turbo engine for LMP1 in 2007.

Chassis wise its a little unclear at the moment.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1349681)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds good, although I'd prefer it if they swapped the priorities around.....
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1349695)   #3
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds like they want to have the LMP2 engine ready for customer chassis in 2006, with a possible twin-turbo ready for LMP1 in 2007... that means having a 3.4L ready for the various B05/40s, and C65s out there.

although a Honda engine/chassis would have been preferable, having them involved in any way, shape, or form is great.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1349696)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 3.4 L engine is based on the current IRL engine that they use in that Series.....

It will be very competitive......

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1349702)   #5
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
The 3.4 L engine is based on the current IRL engine that they use in that Series.....

It will be very competitive......
absolutely... even though everyone wants factory teams for all of the ACO series, we must remember that privateers are the life-blood of any sportscar series, and the more options available to the them the better
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1349705)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Do the math on this one.

Honda's involvement is why? Due to the possible Champcar link.

Who in Champcars has chassis sales? Right.. Haas.

Lola/Honda
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1349712)   #7
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola/Hass V's Penske Porsche. Sounds like a battle is about to start in P2!

Any chance of a Downing/Mazda
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1349719)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, based on recent updates... not Lola. But 15 chassis have been ordered, firm.. for this Honda LMP2. North American built. Panoz?
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1349730)   #9
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Sorry, based on recent updates... not Lola. But 15 chassis have been ordered, firm.. for this Honda LMP2. North American built. Panoz?
what??? 15 chassis ordered for a new LMP2? jimminy christmas, where did you get that from? is the source credible?

if its not a lola and its North American built, it would almost certainly be G-Force/Panoz in my mind...
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1349731)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
I see Panoz and a bit too amercian to use a Honda engine, I doubt it would sound right!.

The more engines/chassis combo'e that are available the better. It is also good PR, when you win you win you are ????/Honda, when you lose your just a ????.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1349736)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I see Panoz and a bit too amercian to use a Honda engine, I doubt it would sound right!.

The more engines/chassis combo'e that are available the better. It is also good PR, when you win you win you are ????/Honda, when you lose your just a ????.
remember, Panoz/G-Force create chassis for the IRL which Honda runs in...
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1349741)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nope forgot that, What about R&S?

Unless its a complete dog, I don't care who builds it, but for the US link I would have hoped Zytek had a hand in a new Honda powered car.

Hopefully some will cross the Atlantic as well.

Could this push Toyota/Lexus into making availabe an engine as well?
Old 7 Jul 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1349759)   #13
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:

Unless its a complete dog, I don't care who builds it, but for the US link I would have hoped Zytek had a hand in a new Honda powered car.

possibly, but its too early to tell whether or not this Honda rumor is true or not...
Old 7 Jul 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1349815)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's all very interesting I saw something about this over the weekend. From what I have read I think its going to happen and remember the ACO went over to Japan a few years ago to have a chat with a few manufatours including Honda.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1349830)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

FWIW....

Both the Honda and the Toyota IRL engines, when they were 3.5 L, cranked over 700 hp with a rev limiter at 10,700 rpm.

At Indy, those 3.5 L's ran qualifying laps in the low 230 mph range with speeds at the ends of the straights art nearly 240 mph...

Keep in mind that both have been working on and testing road course gearboxes for more than 18 months now, and they already have raced them at St. Pete in April....

At the recent Watkins Glen tests, the 3.0L version of it surpassed the track record set by a Ferrari WSC car by more than 2 seconds...

They run about 675-700 hp with a rev limit of 10,300 rpm

BTW...the weight of an IRL chassis: about 715 kg....

All seems to fit rather well, doesn't it?????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1349838)   #16
tblincoe
Veteran

it definitely all fits, i would just like for Fogelhund to explain his post for us
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1349847)   #17
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happend to that Dome GTP story from a few moths ago. Dome is more linked to Honda then AGR, HAAS, Lola or anyone. Strange they would use they IRL engine. The Supergt is bullet proof and might work better. Sorry turbo over NA anyday. Can they this thing ready to go by Sebring and will this include a run at LeMan in the near future? I just dont see this coming true in any factory capasity.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1349854)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember that there was a Mugen engine in the back of a Dome for the last 2 years, could that have been a toe in the water exercise?
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1349866)   #19
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Remember that there was a Mugen engine in the back of a Dome for the last 2 years, could that have been a toe in the water exercise?
doubtful, i think that mugen's sportscar arm is not linked to Honda corporate... anyone know this for sure?
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1349874)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its likely that Honda US have their own racing budget, seperate from Honda Japan/Europe.

The Mugen engine is run out of Japan.

Theres the opportunity to pass the engines over to them however.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1349877)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I think he means Honda Champ Car, not LMP2.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1349878)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
doubtful, i think that mugen's sportscar arm is not linked to Honda corporate... anyone know this for sure?
Not sure but remember the Honda F1 program came out of the back of the Mugen F1 program of the late 90's.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1349898)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mugen is owned by Honda's son, unless there has been some recent ownership change I am unaware of. It is a separate company, but the links are obvious.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1349919)   #24
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I think he means Honda Champ Car, not LMP2.
I meant LMP2.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1349943)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So there you have it..........