Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Apr 2002, 14:07 (Ref:258973)   #1
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New circuit layout on TV

If you get Eurosport the coverage of the bike 24hrs showed some interesting shots of the new Le Mans circuit after the Dunlop Bridge. It was also interesting that one of the commentators mentioned that the entry to the new left hander after the bridge was blind. This could make life interesting for the drivers, especially at night.

FG
Old 13 Apr 2002, 14:11 (Ref:258978)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the start of the bike 24hrs race, just so I could see the new bit of track and I like it very much.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 17:35 (Ref:259172)   #3
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the fair is now on the oppsite side of the track
PM
Old 13 Apr 2002, 19:14 (Ref:259225)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks alright, it will be a little different turning back onto the main track. That no 1 Suzuki is going pretty well.

The bikes seemed to carry quite a bit of speed thought the bend so it might still be quite fast.

Was trying to place the funfair but could not get my bearings.

SL
Old 13 Apr 2002, 19:25 (Ref:259231)   #5
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SL,
The funfair is on the right hand side(from a drivers view)of the circuit,just as you would enter the Dunlop chicane
PM
Old 13 Apr 2002, 19:33 (Ref:259235)   #6
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that, there is quite a large area underused there, even for the sportscars. And the cleanest toilet block

SL
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:05 (Ref:259986)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what you've all seen, any idea of how good the view is likely to be for the spectators behind the fencing (on either side of the track)?

I'm actually keen to find out what you can see from high up above the Esses, one of my favourite viewing places at night.

I feel a lot more optimistic about this than I did when the news broke a few months back. I was pretty annoyed then but I'm really hoping to be able to eat my words.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:05 (Ref:260167)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you're interested, I've just posted another of Fab's great panoramic shots of the track changes which he took at some stage during the bike proceedings.

Go here to take a look:-

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...rackchange.htm
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:08 (Ref:260170)   #9
FG1
Veteran

I have a feeling that it won't be too bad, and might even be good. But I have been wrong before so I don't want to be too optimistic.

From INSIDE the track the view goes from the bridge through to the the entry of the esses, even the exit if you move right along. There were plenty of people standing in that area for the bikes. I will certainly be interested to check this out. From outside and next to the track, the view may not be so good as before, but from higher up I think some trees have been cleared to make way for what I think is a soakaway, and the view might be good.

But, and just as importantly, I think a lot will depend on how the new curve is for the drivers. They don't come under the bridge that fast because of the chicane before it, so it remains to be seen how close to the limit they will be. One of the commentators for the bikes mentioned that the new curve is blind at its entry under the bridge, which adds some spice.

The new curve is LESS severe for the cars than for the bikes, the two tracks separate shortly after the road turns right. So it is possible that setting themselves up for the esses from the new curve could be interesting, particularly as they are going downhill with (as far as I could tell) no camber to help them.

We shall see, it could all still be a dead loss, but I hope not.

FG

Last edited by FG1; 14 Apr 2002 at 16:09.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:25 (Ref:260266)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it looked alright...
Old 16 Apr 2002, 16:34 (Ref:262298)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks for all the on-hand obs, FG1. As I said before, I'm much more optimistic than I was before. Are there some nice new gravel traps around there for the Audi's to get stuck in on the first lap?

Old 16 Apr 2002, 16:53 (Ref:262313)   #12
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Are there some nice new gravel traps around there for the Audi's to get stuck in on the first lap?
The gravel traps are huge, like the new one at the bend before Indianapolis last year. As for the Audis getting stuck, well, perhaps we should develop some plans.

FG
Old 16 Apr 2002, 21:22 (Ref:262531)   #13
FG1
Veteran

BTW there is new permanent fencing up at Indianapolis this year to replace the temporary stuff. Sadly I'm not hopeful that it's going to be any better, but you never know. It would be great to be able to see the cars coming down from Mulsanne properly, and there is just a chance .....

FG