Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Sep 2007, 20:06 (Ref:2010451)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zanardi to test DP 01

All 3 Mansells are also going to. Lets hope Zanardi tests the new DP 01, another great past champion. Let's hope Vasser makes it happen.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/62298
Old 13 Sep 2007, 06:11 (Ref:2010788)   #2
NorCal
Rookie

United States
Northern CA
NorCal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff...even though he doesn't prefer to live in the US how about racing another back @ Laguna under PKV for memory sake??? Been there & love to see it again!!!
Old 14 Sep 2007, 09:47 (Ref:2012435)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No one here is going to like this comment, but here goes: Vasser, I believe has managed to insult Zanardi and play for attention all at the same time.

In the Speed TV article, he is quoted as saying that he wants to "light Alex's competitive fire." What a crock! Here is a man who decided at Lausitz: "I am not going to die today." Here is a man who decided: "I will walk again (and did so)." Here is a man who said: "I will finish that race." And he did, turning competitive laps while he was at it.

Zanardi has taken on the maximum that life can throw at you and overcome the adversity. Driving a CC car, comparatively, is nothing. The man has nothing to prove to anyone. Implying that somehow doing this would round him out or let him be all he can be is just crap and an insult. Zanardi is already way ahead on that score just by getting up, putting on his prosthetic legs and walking every day.

But that is not enough for Vasser, is it? There are only a zillion or so drivers out there who could step into that car and do well. It is their time now. Let Alex do what he does rather than try to lure him back to something he has already transcended.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:15 (Ref:2012522)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I know of Vasser and Zanardi they are very good friends. I doubt that Vasser if anybody underestimates Zanardi's competitive fire or lust for life. You can't compare driving a Champ Car to the obstacles Zanardi has overcome, but you can compare it to the BMW he is currently driving.
I think that is where Vasser's quote is directed.
Methinks your getting your knickers in a knot over nothing.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2012540)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree.

By lighting his competitive fire, I had taken that as Zanardi being a competitive guy, someone (who Vassers knows very well, much better than John) that would jump at the thought of driving the latest generation ChampCar.

Untill Zanardi says he's insulted, I wouldnt worry yourself John.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 12:38 (Ref:2012664)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
No one here is going to like this comment, but here goes: Vasser, I believe has managed to insult Zanardi and play for attention all at the same time.

In the Speed TV article, he is quoted as saying that he wants to "light Alex's competitive fire." What a crock! Here is a man who decided at Lausitz: "I am not going to die today." Here is a man who decided: "I will walk again (and did so)." Here is a man who said: "I will finish that race." And he did, turning competitive laps while he was at it.

Zanardi has taken on the maximum that life can throw at you and overcome the adversity. Driving a CC car, comparatively, is nothing. The man has nothing to prove to anyone. Implying that somehow doing this would round him out or let him be all he can be is just crap and an insult. Zanardi is already way ahead on that score just by getting up, putting on his prosthetic legs and walking every day.

But that is not enough for Vasser, is it? There are only a zillion or so drivers out there who could step into that car and do well. It is their time now. Let Alex do what he does rather than try to lure him back to something he has already transcended.
What? Vasser isn't lying. I have read Zanardi's book and met him in person. He is a very nice guy and a hero. He said to me Jimmy is one of his best friends ever. Joh you said he doesn't have anything to prove. He doesn't want to prove anything! He just wants to test the new CC kit which he says looks very impressive as Mansell and Dallenbach have said in the past and former champions as well. He is done with racing in the states, we all know that, unless you don't. He only wants to test the car if it does happen. When I asked if he still likes CC he said that he still follows the series that brought him alive again in terms of racing wants to see the series do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Methinks your getting your knickers in a knot over nothing.
Definately.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 11:05 (Ref:2013513)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Not being one to wear knickers, niether they, nor anything else are in a "knot."

Personally, whether Vasser and Zanardi are friends makes no difference to me here. Alex has nothing to prove and Vasser's comments indicate to me that HE thinks Zanardi still should "prove" something.

I am not "worried" or "knotted" - simply amazed that anyone could imply that this man needs to be motivated or to prove anything!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 12:23 (Ref:2013565)   #8
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, what are you trying to prove? Some people just like to race and what could be better than having a real race car to do it in.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 13:54 (Ref:2013629)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Not trying to "prove" anything, norman, just giving an opinion.

Last time I looked, the BMW Zanardi drives was a real race car in which I believe he has won a real race...
Old 15 Sep 2007, 13:58 (Ref:2013632)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit that I thought, oh, another Zanardi test, hasn't that been done before?. Then I unrealistically thought is this leading to anything?!

However I find I agree with JohnSSC when he says "no one here is going to like this comment". I don't like it! John, I think you've stepped into a parallel universe there!
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2013644)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Adam, you have been to the F1 forum recently, so you must understand that the "parallel universe" is quite popular! Stop by, we will get you a pint!

And you are right, I posted my thoughts knowing they would not be popular...
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:20 (Ref:2013655)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I fail to see the point in this test ultimately I guess, but it does give people the chance to shriek and scream about a "legend reunited with Champcar".

Or something like that.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:40 (Ref:2013680)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
That was a nice way to put it, Knowlesy! I was thinking along the lines of: "Cheap PR stunt."

Zanardi did what he needed to do at Lausitz.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:41 (Ref:2013681)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yeah a Champ Car legend and a great man after what he has gone threw is nothing special driving the new Champ Car.

Cheap PR stunt John? I have heard it all now.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2013686)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
He has already gotten back in the Lola and "finished" his race at Lausitz. Why would he need to drive the DP-01? If there were ever a DP-02 or a DP-03, would he need to drive them as well?
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2013689)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
He has already gotten back in the Lola and "finished" his race at Lausitz. Why would he need to drive the DP-01? If there were ever a DP-02 or a DP-03, would he need to drive them as well?
You are missing the whole point unless you have yet more ill-intent. HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO PROVE. Merely offered to test the new kit which some and many past CC drivers find impressive. If he wants to test it then so be it! I personally would love to see a CART legend drive one.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2013695)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Thank you luke, for proving my point! No, Zanardi has nothing to prove, which is why I found Vasser's comments ludicrous!
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:26 (Ref:2013730)   #18
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've re-read the article just to make sure I haven't missed something. I just can't see where in Vasser's comments he indicates that Zanardi has to prove something. He just indicates that maybe Zanardi would possibly enjoy racing a really fast car again, as opposed to just a fast car.
Obviously it's a bit of a PR stunt no one can deny that, but if both men are willing then let them have at it. Judging from Zanardi's comments he didn't seem overly insulted either. Then again maybe I am missing reading that into it as well.
These threads really can get silly sometimes, I think I'll go for a bicycle ride instead.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2013743)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you luke, for proving my point! No, Zanardi has nothing to prove, which is why I found Vasser's comments ludicrous!
You're pole vaulting over mouse turds reading way too much into translated comments out of a italian racing magazine.

Whether he tests or not, or if it's a pr stunt or not, or whatever the motivation is, who really cares? He drives the car, big deal. Not going to change anyones life on here.

"Zanardi tests DP01 at Sebring, in other speed tv news, johnssc collapses and is rushed to the hospital screaming "He had nothing to prove!", "He had nothing to prove!", "Jimmy Vasser is a crazy insulting pr stunt junkie!"

If someone offered me a drive in a dp01, whatever the motivation was behind it, I'd drive the damn thing!
Old 15 Sep 2007, 19:24 (Ref:2013903)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
The only thing likely to send me to the E.D. is when my keeper just stands there when the opposing striker has a clean breakaway...

Since I read the article on Speed TV's website originally I am presuming that the article actually was in English - but this is great: folks know what I am thinking, think they know where I read the article and presume that I would pole-vault mouse turds rather than simply using a flame-thrower on them like everyone else...
Old 15 Sep 2007, 21:53 (Ref:2014043)   #21
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty dumb question John, I'm sure you could figure it out if you think about it for a while.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 22:28 (Ref:2014072)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Don't say thanks I am not proving you're point nor agreeing, far from it. There's seeing things differently and also deliberately picking holes for the sake of it.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 22:29 (Ref:2014076)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
And I agree John and Mountainstar, I see this Zanard DP 01 test if it happens as a great thing and can't see why he is so against it.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2014386)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
Pretty dumb question John, I'm sure you could figure it out if you think about it for a while.

Thanks for the support, norman-normal!
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:37 (Ref:2014390)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
So if I say Zanardi has nothing to prove, and then luke, you re-state that Zanardi has nothing to prove, how is that not agreeing with me that Zanardi has nothing to prove??

Nowhere here have I said he should not do it. While most of you were running around looking for charming analogies utilizing mice and pole vaults, I have maintained that Zanardi has nothing to prove and that he has no "need" to do this in order to "light his competitive fire."

If ever there were a man whose competitive fire burns brightly, it is Alex Zanardi.

Pretty simple question really, I am sure y'all can figure it out eventually...