Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win the WDC?
Hamilton 46 50.00%
Alonso 13 14.13%
Raikkonen 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:25 (Ref:2027927)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who do you want to win the championship?

A very different question from 'who do you think will win it?' Do you have a preference? Would you prefer a titanic scrap for it over a particular winner? Or maybe you have more than one driver you'd like to see win it (even if Raikkonen's virtually out of the running.)

I'd like to see Hamilton do it this year particularly, because he has usually been at or near Alonso's pace, who is also clearly a special talent, but what is more, he has made less mistakes than Alonso. We could be hear all day debating such philosophical questions as "..but doesn't the driver who does win it always deserve it?" etc, but still, I think Hamilton does deserve it if he pulls it off.

And before anyone mentions that no McLaren driver deserves to win it because of them getting Ferrari data (I know there are a few here who think like that), does it help that Hamilton was not proven to have been implicated in the whole thing (unlike say Alonso)?

Raikkonen's been back to his best lately, but I think he got off to too slow a start (with the exception of the very first race) to the championship to maybe merit it as much. My pick, Hamilton, has been on it for nearly all the year.

The other reason I'd like to see him win it this year is obviously he'll become the first driver to ever win it in his rookie season, which'd be a lovely feat to achieve it. And a slightly cheeky side within me would additionally like it to happen this year because he'll take away the mantle of youngest ever world champion from Alonso, which is sure to rile him

So, over to you.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:29 (Ref:2027931)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love to see Hamilton win it - he's been consistent, he's been fast, he's been really convincing (which a lot of rookies, even those who go on to win titles, aren't) and I would love to see a British world champion.

Alonso's season has been tained by his involvement in spygate and his behaviour towards the team, seemingly ranting and whining about not having number one status, whilst Raikkonen just hasn't had the consistency. We could see quite a scrap next year, though, if Raikkonen can hit the ground running.

P.S. Do you want a poll adding to this so that you can see what people think without having to read their opinions?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:31 (Ref:2027933)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd love a poll, yes. I'll still read through people's responses of course, but it's nice and useful to also be able to get an occasional glance at the situation, via a poll
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:32 (Ref:2027936)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Consider it done. (you really should, because it is )
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:42 (Ref:2027944)   #5
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hamilton by a mile!
Alonso has shown that he can crack under pressure, he is a back stabber and that he doesn't conform to how an established team wants him to, he thinks he is bigger than Ron Dennis and McLaren, Senna and Prost, far better drivers didn't think that.
Kimi, has the pace but still can't hold it together to become champion. Maybe when Lewis retires he will win a championship!
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:45 (Ref:2027949)   #6
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went for Hamilton 'cos for me, it's gotta be him.

But as an aside - I have no idea what I'd like for next year. Although I am a Hamilton fan (he's not my favourite driver but I still have a large soft spot for him), I don't think I want to see him start to dominate the sport ala TGF - it's just boring when that happens. I'd love for Renault to come good and see Heikki get up there, or Quick Nick start to do the business of winning races. Hey, maybe I can dream and imagine Williams come properly good again and we see Nico up there! But I digress...

Hamilton would be great - Ralf's Girl has outlined the reasons why I want him to win really well. Besides, it'd just be great to have a Brit win the WDC after 11 years
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:46 (Ref:2027951)   #7
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi, because it would be fantastic to snatch it from the McLaren children
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2027953)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i have to vote for Kimi.
not taking anything away from LH, who has been without error and simply amazing, but for me kimi is the best driver on the grid in what is at best the 2nd best car.
i have been trying to figure out how good of a season kimi would have had if he was still sitting in a Mclaren. my personal feeling is he would have already settled the championship.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2027954)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso or Hamilton. Hamilton would make the best story I suppose.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 15:18 (Ref:2027989)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Hamilton.

Coming in to the season I wasn't a massive fan of his. I remember him being a little too cocky when he used to run over here but, looking at it now, I guess he had every right to be. He is the real deal and his performances this year have been absolutely stunning -- especially in Japan where he truly came of age. I am now a big fan.

I used to have a lot of time for Alonso but this year he has been an embarassment. Continuously throwing the car off the track when under pressure, bleating and moaning about not being outright number one at McLaren (does he know nothing about Ron's ethics?) and, as for trying to blackmail Ron...

I hope that McLaren keep both drivers next season - the needle will be something special to watch.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:06 (Ref:2028100)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raikkonen. Two wins in the last two races while the McLaren boys take each other out would make great cinema.

Hamilton has become far too big for his own boots. Alonso just doesn't deserve it. Considering both have acted like spoiled, petulant children recently, both deserve a right slap anyway.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:21 (Ref:2028115)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Hamilton has become far too big for his own boots.
.I'm at a loss to understand this.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:28 (Ref:2028122)   #13
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hes only a kid, i know when i was a kid i went through shoes at a rate of knots....
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2028123)   #14
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gotta be hamilton for me, good to see him get what he deserves for an amazing rookie season, failing that kimi, ive never been a fan of his but hes shown hes a great driver and now the schumi era has come to an end it would be nice to see him get atleast 1 championship.

its good to see a large number of competitive drivers in formula 1, next year could go any way!
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:33 (Ref:2028125)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
A bit of an irrelevant question as Hamilton has it in the bag. I would have preferred Raikkonen.

Hamilton is a fantastic driver, and I personally hope he continues his good form for years to come. But I didn't want him to win this year.

And here is the immensely unpopular reason I will give (sorry mods, my good friends): I really believe that this year's championship is tainted by the Spy Scandal.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:36 (Ref:2028128)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
A bit of an irrelevant question as Hamilton has it in the bag.
It only takes a retirement for Hamilton and a win for Alonso though and it's close again. Unlikely that he'll retire, but oh so possible.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:43 (Ref:2028135)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I really believe that this year's championship is tainted by the Spy Scandal.
Do you mean for you personally (as in you think he's driving what amounts to a car that could contain, if not specific Ferrari-based parts, parts which have been influenced by Ferrari data the team should not have been privy to), or that many members of the public will view it as tainted?
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:45 (Ref:2028137)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya

And here is the immensely unpopular reason I will give (sorry mods, my good friends): I really believe that this year's championship is tainted by the Spy Scandal.
Had the FIA been as severe and logical at handing out punishment as the Italian football governing body were,Kimi would now be well on his way to a first WDC. Oh err IMO.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:48 (Ref:2028141)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
A bit of both. Certainly many members of the public (outside of the UK mostly ) will view it as tainted. And yes, beyond that, I believe that McLaren benefited from the Ferrari tactics and technical data that was flowing around the team. But we already have a mega thread on that.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 18:26 (Ref:2028173)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like all 4 drivers, despite the fact that two of them drive for a certain red team. It is wierd. None of the 4 drivers have had a 'perfect' season. They have all been top at some point and crap at others. Lewis has had the closest to the perfect season from the four despite being a rookie. 3 of his 4 wins have come on circuits where he hadn't driven before. He has pretty much managed to do what Schumacher couldn't, rattle Alonso. He in my eyes will be a deserving champion.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2028185)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
A bit of an irrelevant question as Hamilton has it in the bag. I would have preferred Raikkonen.

Hamilton is a fantastic driver, and I personally hope he continues his good form for years to come. But I didn't want him to win this year.
I agree with all of that.

I have to say that I have also been rather put off Hamilton by his constant sniping at Alonso over the last couple of weeks. There's simply no need for him to do that.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 19:59 (Ref:2028246)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not fussed about who wins it as long as it is a McLaren.

Hamilton has been remarkable and it'd be something special if he won it in his rookie year.

Alonso has been slightly tainted this year, but I have always appreciated his driving and back-to-the-wall fightbacks. Fuji was a bit of bad luck sadly. So I'd like to see him do it also. He still has my support.

I'd rather be torn apart by several lions than see Raikkonen take it and I think I am safe on that count.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2028247)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Voted Alonso for the quantity of odds he had to cope with along the year: the spying case, the rivalry with Hamilton alla Senna-Prost, the tensions with his own team... and to represent the feeling of several Spanish forums who would have done the same vote.
But I would be quite pleased if Lewis is the champion, believe me.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 20:05 (Ref:2028251)   #24
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Alonso has shown that he can crack under pressure, he is a back stabber and that he doesn't conform to how an established team wants him to, he thinks he is bigger than Ron Dennis and McLaren, Senna and Prost, far better drivers didn't think that.
Well, Alonso acted on a "Prost" role on his rivalry with Hamilton, who in his role acted as his childhood's hero...
Old 1 Oct 2007, 21:09 (Ref:2028312)   #25
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My heart has said Hamilton since the start of the season, while my mind went for Alonso. I usually let my mind decide, but this time, he made me very angry for what he did, therefore, hamilton is the only choice. Also, taking into consideration that this guy has been improving on existing records and will break more in the next couple of days.