Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 May 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1311049)   #1
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magnet or Repellent?

Just as a matter of interest are you a magnet or a repellent and please give instances of either excellent saves or losses.

Old 26 May 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1311092)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first season an total magnet...accidents all the time...they were even falling off in front of me when I was spectating (well they were hot hatches!). Now not so much of a magnet, although I'm not really a repellant either.
Old 26 May 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1311108)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
depends whether I choose the BRUT or the JAZZ!
Old 26 May 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1311109)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alongside Bob "The Magnet" Miller I'm probably the worst magnet in the Midlands. At Silverstone, I went down to Abbey Inside just for the Britcar race
(I had just finished for the day on the Stowe circuit & was asked to I.O just this race of the Int circuit meeting) I hadn't even got my headphones on properly when a Ferrari F40 was totalled, followed 30 minutes later by a 911. Paul Stilling the Observer, said that nothing had happened all day, I turned up for the last race & WW3 breaks out.
Old 26 May 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1311114)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Alongside Bob "The Magnet" Miller I'm probably the worst magnet in the Midlands. At Silverstone, I went down to Abbey Inside just for the Britcar race
(I had just finished for the day on the Stowe circuit & was asked to I.O just this race of the Int circuit meeting) I hadn't even got my headphones on properly when a Ferrari F40 was totalled, followed 30 minutes later by a 911. Paul Stilling the Observer, said that nothing had happened all day, I turned up for the last race & WW3 breaks out.

Oh no you're not I'd known Steve for two years before I realised what his Christian name was - I always thought his mum and dad gave him the name Magnet. In fact one day, his magnet was soooooo powerful, Di sacked him three times. His best effort to date - Shane Bland's incident at Donington.

The problem is, I think Magnet goes with our surname - I'm becoming pretty useful at it as well!
Old 26 May 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1311143)   #6
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread should be interesting. Is someone else other than me going to have to come with a safety warning KB?

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 26 May 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1311181)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fire magnet, me. Up to 13 now plus two where I wasn't quick enough and got there after someone else had dealt with it. Been known to attract the odd shunt too. In one bad 18 month period I attended 3 fires, 2 broken necks, a fractured skull a severe concussion and a broken jaw. Fortunately for everybody the injuries slackened off after that and it's mostly just bent cars since then.
Old 27 May 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1311338)   #8
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
depends whether I choose the BRUT or the JAZZ!
Aah! So that's what the funny smell was - I thought it was coming from the cars......................................

Old 27 May 2005, 08:14 (Ref:1311369)   #9
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the pork pies?
Old 27 May 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1311522)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does magnetism also relate to the part of the world your in? I don't seem to have much effect at Oulton, but both times i've been to Donington i've been accused of being the magnet. I can't see how anyone can come to that conclusion, after a rolling mini, rolling F3, FF in the wall, Aston throwing a wheel (craner curves), and a formula junior loosing a wheel....amongst others.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1311538)   #11
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have been accused of being a magnet by some poeple, but only when I eat a pork pie.

I think I'm another Bloxham and just misunderstood.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1311572)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
Does magnetism also relate to the part of the world your in? I don't seem to have much effect at Oulton, but both times i've been to Donington i've been accused of being the magnet. I can't see how anyone can come to that conclusion, after a rolling mini, rolling F3, FF in the wall, Aston throwing a wheel (craner curves), and a formula junior loosing a wheel....amongst others.
It may depend on who you're on with. Two magnets on a post can make a busy post quiet. Or twice as bad.
Old 27 May 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1311577)   #13
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a wheel magnet.
3 years running I've had at least one wheel a season come astray and bounce along and over my head. All at Castle Combe come to think of it. The last one was b****y scary actually, as it was a complete wheel, brake and hub assembly from a Porsche GT3. The dent it put in the catch fencing was quite an eye opener as to what it could have done to one of us or a spectator.
Yet to be attacked by any wheels yet this season, so if you're on post with me, be ready to duck!
Old 27 May 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1311609)   #14
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to differ from year to year. I have seasons when I am dealing with hundreds of accidents a meeting, to others where I spend the whole time twiddling my thumbs.
Old 27 May 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1311652)   #15
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy
It seems to differ from year to year. I have seasons when I am dealing with hundreds of accidents a meeting, to others where I spend the whole time twiddling my thumbs.
Must have been a hell of a meeting!!!!
Old 28 May 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1312100)   #16
Barbara T.
Rookie

Canada
Acton, Ontario, Canada
Barbara T. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, this is my first post on this board and that is because my boyfriend (Rich D) says I have to reply to this thread.
Lets put it this way most people when they see they are on my corner roll thier eyes and do morning exercises. My very first day trackside (school day) I had 12 open wheel cars pile into each other at corner 9, Mosport, it was interesting to say the least. Since then it has been one thing after another, 1 IMSA event I had 2 fires, 2 roll overs (one into the spectator fence) and various cars stuck in the gravel trap. One bike meet I did so well that by the Sunday the doctor that was there was calling me by my first name!!!
I instruct with our school now and so far have managed to show my students at least a spin within the first 5 laps of being trackside every school. After 12 yrs I guess I have a little bit of a reputation.

Both Rich and I will be working Brands Hatch this July and I am curious to see if my magnet makes the flight over with me

Looking forward to meeting some of you in July
Old 28 May 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1312836)   #17
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Barb, good to see you took the advice and found the site. Enjoy from now on.
See you in Toronto

I'm not a magnet, just find that chiefs keep giving me hairy posts - can't think why!
Old 29 May 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1313489)   #18
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to be a magnet to certain drivers. there are a couple of Formula Kindergarten who cannot resist stopping to say hi at almost every race meet they are at. A certain honda from the BTCC keeps stopping (refusing to sign autographs for kids too, grrrrr not an autograph hunter myself but if your a race driver expect kids to look up to you, no other bugger will) and thats just a few that pop to mind.
Last year was a busy one, this one not so much. I think that now the overalls are not so glaringly new i am not blinding the drivers like last year.
Old 29 May 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1314142)   #19
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a total repellent my first 2 seasons marshalling i could count on 1 hand the number of incidents i had in those two years!! It seems to be i got a magnet for christmas tho because ive had reasonably busy days since!! I even got my first single seater roll on sat!! Lets see if i can keep it up!!
Old 30 May 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1314711)   #20
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I forced Barb to post, so I'd better add my 2p...

My first year out I was a bit of a fire magnet, especially at one particular station... But the past 2 years I seem to have developed a case of "Offset magnet syndrome" or "Super Repellant" -- this is where the force is so strong that it causes the incident to happen in a neighbouring corner, either the preceeding corner due to fear at what is coming, or the subsequent corner due to relief at coming through the field.

Notable incidents:

Nissan rollover at 9 while on 10. Nissan (yes same one, different race) rollover at 5 while on 4. Ferrari 550 totalled at 3 while on 2A; Vintage open wheels airbone at 5C, while on 5; Mayhem at 1 at start of Speed World Challenge race last year, while on 2; Stve Crevier hitting the wall in a Superbike race at 180mph in 6, I was at 5C (and he walked away..); SWC car fire at 7 while at 6; get the picture?

And last week I witnessed 3 big incidents in preceeding corners, and only had 1 small one in mine...oh ya, and another car fire )) perhaps things are changing again..

See you at Brands in July !

Rich.
Old 30 May 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1315120)   #21
conair_6
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
conair_6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes jennifer i think everywere u go now there is an incident of some sort! O it could be thatu were at coloniel the last2 race meetins! I think i'll try to go were ever u go from now on to grt a bit of action! (and thats motor racing action, brian!)

That was some roll on sat there i just caught sight of him in the air at the flagpost out of the corner of the eye and watched him gettin bounced about in the cockpit util he finally came to rest after about 6 rolls! I was sure he wasn't geettin out of the car without the aid of rescue but he had his belts undone by the time i got to him and just wanted to get out of the car despite me tellin him to stay to calm himself down a bit!

Oh and by the way that idiot thatnear scrubed us while rescue was on seen got away with it scott free! he actually went and complained to seamus about it b4 the report was handed in! I'll give u the whole story wen i c u next! it's 2 long 2 type out!
Old 30 May 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1315151)   #22
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to say repellent, but there are to many marshals that would disagree. I think it depends who is on post with me, when allocated with certain marshals all hell breaks loose and with others nothing happens
Old 30 May 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1315161)   #23
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D

My first year out I was a bit of a fire magnet,
See you at Brands in July !

Rich.
We rarely have fires in the UK these days, so this weekend after joining this thread I had not one, not two, but three, at two different circuits and three different types of race car.

..and I still had the pork pie in my bag when I got home
Old 1 Jun 2005, 04:00 (Ref:1316382)   #24
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Bob I should double my stock of Pork Pies for Toronto !!!!!!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1316385)   #25
Barbara T.
Rookie

Canada
Acton, Ontario, Canada
Barbara T. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Bob should I make sure we put you on a corner near the lake for Toronto with a very very long hose ????