Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1712891)   #1
jimbomit
Racer

England
Cheshire
jimbomit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farcical 2006

Sorry, I'm going to go off on one again!!!!

Snowy's posted the festival times on his website, is it just me or is that an absolute travesty?!

What is the point of having support races that take up your entire Saturday afternoon, THE ARE BLOOMIN SUPPORT RACES not the key event, the clue to which is in the title of the meeting . . .formula ford . . . .

So everyone, take Friday off work, drive to Brands qualify go to bed. Get up at the crack of sparrows play in your heat then go on holiday! There's nothing else happening!!!

Hell there's no point testing as by the time it get's to the semi's on Sunday you'll have forgotten what direction the circuit goes in.

Hats off to another farce of a timetable, no disrespect but it can't be that hard. All they have to do is copy the WHT and they've got a meeting!

Next bit of fun's going to be the price . . . . £300+????
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1712904)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fee is actually £275 - I will add that and the link to the regs to the story now.

And a link for people to email me with comments as they did last year, should they so wish.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1712918)   #3
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoopie do!!!!!!

Take a day off on Friday, to sit and do nothing on the Saturday. Sounds good that......

The Classic Boys have the best deal. Turn up and do it all in a day.

Glad I made the early decision not to do it........ Just go for a watch.

Not all bad though. With the Saturday afternoon free, I can sit in the Kentagon, drink beer and watch the Mighty Reds turn over the Pool...........
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1712924)   #4
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
The fee is actually £275 - I will add that and the link to the regs to the story now.

And a link for people to email me with comments as they did last year, should they so wish.
Do you still have a comments section Ian. I've not seen anything on there for ages.

Maybe people just make their comments here on 10 10ths.....
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1712933)   #5
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why oh bloody why have they got to put the flaming heritage touring cars on sunday afternoon its a mini enduro for christ sake hardly the flavour of the meeting but nothing new there then
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1712945)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's the date this year?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1712951)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As it says in the story on the website Suze

Chris - we don't get a lot of correspondence, but then again we have sought it out less of late. Last year we had a lot from people who never/rarely post here, and the timetable got changed.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1712954)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Ian, I'll go and look now
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1712955)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Ok, found it....I was praying that for once, just once, it wouldn't be on that weekend. Why? Family birthday, so we always end up doing something else, and only once was it to go to the festival!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1712974)   #10
jimbomit
Racer

England
Cheshire
jimbomit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it be nice if for once the BRSCC reviewed it's timetable before issuing it?

If you look at Saturday, the poor sods in the Caterhams will be starting their day from 7am and finishing around 6pm, oooo I bet they are excited for that!

Now if you let them qualify as they are, then start the racing from 10.45 with say the Hermit Touring Cars endurance (not sure if that's with reference to the race or spectator experience), they are featured twice in the weekend so no need for two prime spots that cause most people to go to the Kentagon!

So after the HTC's into Caterham racing at 11.40am all set for 20 minute races. Knock 2 out before lunch then it's onto the afternoon fixtures.

13.00 Caterham Graduate Grp 1
13.25 Caterham Graduate Grp 2
13.50 Caterham Graduate Grp 3
14.15 FF1600 Heat 1
14.40 FF1600 Heat 2
15.05 Caterham Police Academy 16
15.30 Autosports, ooo you won't find a lighter Carerham than these
15.55 Caterham Police Academy 22 - this time it's personal
16.20 Duratec / Zetec Heat 1
16.45 Duratec / Zetec Heat 2

Now this is only a suggestion but by giving everyone 20 minute races with 5 minutes turnaround would make a programme that on paper has 50 minutes slack in it to compensate for red flags,oil etc

There's always something to watch, the rollerskate racing is broken up into bite sized chunks, The rollerskates get to go home at a reasonable time and there's formula fords in the afternoon when most of the formula ford spectators have turned up, BINGO!!!!

(Note this timetable is for illustrative purposes only, I am available for children's parties, weddings, funerals and bar mitzvah's)
Old 18 Sep 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1712980)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

A much better timetable - although of course some championships have 30-minute races as their standard race length (and probably pay higher fees accordingly). And realistically you need to build in 10 minutes turnaround time, even at Brands - always better to plan for the worst and then finish early!

But yes, that kind of thing would make more sense to me.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1713046)   #12
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh what about us Classic boys, our final is right before the main final and since i am going to do both races and hope to qualify for both finals i'll have no chance turning around that quick, better try out a pitstop this weekend at Kirkistown!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1713051)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Another good point...
Old 18 Sep 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1713182)   #14
chewy pappas
Rookie

chewy pappas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all bad though. With the Saturday afternoon free, I can sit in the Kentagon, drink beer and watch the Mighty Reds turn over the Pool...........[/QUOTE]

Yeah right.Like the way yous did Arsenal!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1713250)   #15
itsonlyme
Racer

England
itsonlyme has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy pappas
Not all bad though. With the Saturday afternoon free, I can sit in the Kentagon, drink beer and watch the Mighty Reds turn over the Pool...........
Yeah right.Like the way yous did Arsenal![/QUOTE]

Old 18 Sep 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1713262)   #16
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
That's because we had an £18 million seat warmer......

Madness!

Good timetable Jimbo.

Although I'm not sure about the two Formula Ford Heats back to back. This could create a major problem in the fact that if there is a queue in the Kentagon, one of us is gonna miss the start of a race......

I think Scissors, Paper, Stones for whoever goes for that round.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1713491)   #17
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is supposed to be THE event and as such your are going to be there for a while. It all adds up to the atmosphere (which the WHT can never match).

I know its three days - just get really ****ed and sleep it off all day sat thats what we did!

If you want a quick in and out do a regional event!
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1713494)   #18
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't understand why there are only two heats for FF1600s, although I suppose they could up it to 3 if enough entered.

Why is the Zetec final not before the Kent final, as then people with Classic FF1600s could do their race and the final too if they qualify?

Zetecs and Duratecs have heats, semis and then individual finals so presumably everyone who enters will automatically qualify for their final, being as I can't see 30 Zetecs entering and I doubt if that many Duratecs exist!

Justin - with testing starting from Tuesday, it'll be a bit like the old days!

Last edited by JohnMiller; 19 Sep 2006 at 08:39.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1713501)   #19
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I htink this year is mainly about setting the structure to build on in the next few years.

You could always ask your boss why as I am sure he has a bit more influence in the BRSCC than anyone here?
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1713509)   #20
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1713532)   #21
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
I can't understand why there are only two heats for FF1600s, although I suppose they could up it to 3 if enough entered.

Why is the Zetec final not before the Kent final, as then people with Classic FF1600s could do their race and the final too if they qualify?

Zetecs and Duratecs have heats, semis and then individual finals so presumably everyone who enters will automatically qualify for their final, being as I can't see 30 Zetecs entering and I doubt if that many Duratecs exist!

Justin - with testing starting from Tuesday, it'll be a bit like the old days!
Think you right about duratecs but there will be loads of Euro FFZetecs turn up and the UK ones will come out of the garages to play plus the rent a drives.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1713543)   #22
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinDawkins
This is supposed to be THE event and as such your are going to be there for a while. It all adds up to the atmosphere (which the WHT can never match).
Exactly Justin. Nail on the head and all that. It is "supposed" to be THE event, but it isn't. Which is a shame, but it just isn't.

It's supposed to be a FORMULA FORD Festival, with the focus on Formula Fords. It should also be used to promote the class as the BRSCC have made a lot of money out of it over the years. But anyone turning up for a watch on Saturday afternoon would think they have arrived at the wrong meeting.

In relation to the WHT not matching it for atmosphere, not sure about that. Ever since coming onto the scene, the WHT has created a buzz around the Formula Ford drivers that the Festival seems to have lost. Personally, I believe it's down to one thing alone.

The WHT was initially set-up for the Kent engined cars and put them to the fore. Recent years at the Festival has seen the Kent engined cars treated like mules. If we all think back to last year and the limit set on grid numbers for the Kent engined cars, because there wasn't room on the program for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No such trouble at the WHT. 200+ expected this year. There is no science to it, the drivers of Kent cars obviously regard it higher.

1) Location - Silverstone is middle England, no long haul drives down to Kent.

2) Garages - Not the back of a flooded paddock at Brands, well away from the cover of the garages and pitlane.

3) Cost - The WHT is a bargain in comparison.

4) Track time - A weekend at the WHT will see you on the circuit on all 3 days.

5) Alure - TV Coverage, celebrity names/drivers all adds to the appeal.

This is just plain fact. I have always gone to the Festival for a watch and a good weekend with the lads and the last few years, I have always said "I'll do it next year", but then as it draws nearer, there is just no pull to go and do it. It always seems to be annouced with a flatness, no fanfare. The price is usually wide of the mark and the calendar never looks appealing.

It's a shame that the Festival is coming a distant 2nd to the WHT, but the WHT is giving the competitors what they want. As a spectator, if you enjoy watching Formula Ford racing and you can only visit one of these events, then it would have to be the WHT.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1713553)   #23
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
It's a shame that the Festival is coming a distant 2nd to the WHT, but the WHT is giving the competitors what they want. As a spectator, if you enjoy watching Formula Ford racing and you can only visit one of these events, then it would have to be the WHT.
I haven't time to go and watch both the Festival and the WHT. Having seen the timetable for the Festival, I know which meeting I'm going to now - and it's not the one south of London!

Last edited by Alan Raine; 19 Sep 2006 at 09:45.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1713574)   #24
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinDawkins

I know its three days - just get really ****ed and sleep it off all day sat thats what we did!

If you want a quick in and out do a regional event!
I agree with Justin for a change. It has always been the same and that is why the festival is the festival. The moaning last year was because the heats were on the Friday but at least this year they are on the Sat.

I am planning on having a play in the zetec festival so I would prefer the zetec final before the kent final so I can watch the Kent final as I guess that will be the best race of the day.

I would expect at least 30 zetecs so all should make the final unless damage in the heats
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1713691)   #25
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Steve Lowdon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walshy,I agree with you totally,i have just had my first season back in FF1600
after an absense of 24yrs & i have always wanted to do the Festival,there was just something about it & to be honest it was going to watch it last year that gave me the buzz to want to get back into a car this year,but then i went to the WHT after it & found that to be an even better event.
Now i've decided to give the Festival a miss & have already entered the WHT & can't wait.
As you said,it offers bloody fantastic value for money,your in the garages with power etc,not scuffing around in a pot holed paddock with water running down the hill & your at Silverstone,the supposed home of British Motor Sport.
Another point is i think there will be far less carnage at the Walter Hayes as opposed to the Festival,i can't see any point in that,it's the last race of the season mentality.
So,as far as i'm concerned,i'm looking forward to being a spectator at the Festival but roll on the Walter Hayes,i CAN'T wait.