Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 May 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2879570)   #1
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans moments - "I was there"

The sub-forum certainly has got a lot more experienced lately. It would be interesting to hear of the brilliant action people have seen out on track over the years and what particularly sticks in their minds.

Be it a passing move, contact, a car lunching its engine, a spectacular spin, crash etc... There must be so much that wasn't even caught be the TV cameras.

What things were you lucky/unlucky and in the perfect position to see?

(Sorry if a thread like this has been done before)
Old 12 May 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2879579)   #2
photopigg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dover, Kent
photopigg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice thread simmi
I guess my "I was there moment" or "moments" must be 1989 which was my 1st vist to Le Mans which Mercedes won for only the 2nd time & 1997 in which TK won is 1st Le Mans
Old 12 May 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2879615)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As to being there, I guess I can catalogue anything of significance over the last 25 years - Jaguar's return win, Mazda's first Japanese win, the magnificent McLaren steamroller in 95 and the sheer beauty of those Toyota GT-Ones..... But that's just because I was there throughout those years.

One specific memory - I'm sure others will come to me when I think about it more - standing on the pit balcony on Sunday morning in 1990 - the one and only time I did that - a year later it was gone, replaced by the new pits and pits grandstand.... I've always been just a bit chuffed that I managed to get up there before it disappeared.....

Old 12 May 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2879622)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The puff of smoke at Mulsanne corner that signaled the end of the Mercedes challenge in 1991. The signal wasn't great, but I remember clasping the earphones to the ear to hear the commentary on the pitstop that followed (the commentators didn't shout so much back then ).

Stood at Indianapolis in 1995, in the wet, in the dark, watching JJ drive in the F1. The lap times were fantastic, but you didn't need that to know he was going a lot quicker than anyone else. Ever since then I love it when it rains at Le Mans - sorry Ayse!

Sat opposite the Mercedes pits in 1999. I saw Peter Dumbreck's flip and then seeing the other Mercs come in and the shutters go down.

1990. My Jaguar win.
Old 13 May 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2879971)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JJ's drive in the Macca. You had to see it to believe it.

Jags return win

The Smell and sound of a 935K3 coming down the essess, braking before Terte Rouge, spitting flame on the overrun before spooling up down the straight.

Mazdas win
Old 13 May 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2880035)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
over the last 26 years there have been many moments, but the one that I really feel sumed up that le mans feel was the Mazda win, I had loved the noise fot many years and the fact that they turned up every year and with little money and struggled to keep up with the big boys.
Then suddenly there they were leading home a stream of Jags and everyone in the stands were on thier feet cheering, brits, french, germans, dutch everyone had a geniune respect for what they had done and they were all happy a truely magic feel that I have never felt since.
Old 13 May 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2880086)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Irvine took 2nd place from Porsche in the Ford chicane on the last lap ..... great move .

Mazda win ..... Katayama's Toyota tryin to catch Dalmas in the BMW V12 LMR and Lehtos drive .

Every Stuck-Wollek entry that Ive ever seen there , brilliant , especially 1989 in the pink Italia Sports Joest 962C . Sheer enjoyment . Never a better pairing , imo .

I stood up there too Ayse , 1989 , I feel glad that I managed to do that too .

Too much to remember really .
Old 14 May 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2880146)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Too much to remember really .

That's it, isn't it? So much in the way of memories. And possible memories....

I think back regularly to my early years and in truth, aside from the photos that I took and the words that I wrote about them afterwards (as I always did), I wonder if I actually remember very much!
Old 14 May 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2880159)   #9
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, we saw so much ; I can't remember everything.
I remember Jean Rondeau's black Porsche SwapShop, loosing a wheel after the Karting curve, during the 1984 edition. The Porsche passed...then a bouncing wheel followed. very stable these 956.
Old 14 May 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2880205)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Sat opposite the Mercedes pits in 1999. I saw Peter Dumbreck's flip and then seeing the other Mercs come in and the shutters go down.
In typical fashion I was in the pizza 'restaurant' in the paddock village as the crash happened.
Old 14 May 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2880324)   #11
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
In typical fashion I was in the pizza 'restaurant' in the paddock village as the crash happened.
I was in the village too ; I unexpectedly saw the take-off on a TV. I thought it was a replay of the Webber's accident, then I saw it happened in the straight before Indianapolis and I realized !
Old 14 May 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2880355)   #12
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

Ickx and Bell, the Jules 936, 1981.

Gosh, it was hot that year......
Old 14 May 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2880417)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Early morning, pits grandstand 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG0381.jpg  
Old 15 May 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2880481)   #14
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Merc flipping was one not to forget & the Mazda win.
The Original AMR 1 in '89 actually finishing in a good position even though they were developing the car the whole weekend and virtually built it on site. (Could see a bit of deja vu this year !!)
1990 Jesus Pareja with spoke bellowing out the Brun 962 with 15 mins to go to the flag and retiring at Mulsanne in tears.
1994 The Irvine / Boutsen battle , Irvine minus a full box of gears and driving like it was a qualifying session with under an hour to go
1997 Steve Soper qualifying the Mclaren F1 leaving twin rubber marks all through the esses.
2000 the Panoz LMP1's almost breaking the mould by nearly being the first front engined cars to podium in the modern era.
All the Vette / Aston Battles in GT1

Last but not least the 'Old Fairground' with all the freak shows, fat lady's , wall of death , boxing ring etc etc. Don't know how they got away with it for so long. Not really PC these days.
Old 15 May 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2880482)   #15
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's it, isn't it? So much in the way of memories. And possible memories....

I think back regularly to my early years and in truth, aside from the photos that I took and the words that I wrote about them afterwards (as I always did), I wonder if I actually remember very much!
That's why we take photos, shoot videos and write words.
Old 15 May 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2880492)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Early morning, pits grandstand 2007.

Yep, I've spent a fair few hours standing there over the years!
Old 15 May 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2880752)   #17
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I've only recently started to gather Le Mans memories, mine would be watching the end of the race in 2007 on the pit wall before they put the glass up in front of it. Never thought in my wildest dreams I would see the finish from there!
Old 16 May 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2880904)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
1990 Jesus Pareja with spoke bellowing out the Brun 962 with 15 mins to go to the flag and retiring at Mulsanne in tears
I was at Mulsanne corner (signal pits) in 89 when he did the same thing ..... ran about the car , took the engine cover off and cried .

When I heard the same had happened to him in 90 , my heart went out to him . Especially since Larrauri had had an accident in the support race and nearly all the driving duties were covered by Brun and Pareja , and they rose to the challange .

So many sad moments to remember too . I was there at the test weekend when Enjolras lost his head when he landed upside down just after Arnage . My brother and I didnt know what had happened , a marshall told us the black cloud was the demise of the blue Pilot Ferrari 333SP ..... after the test we were in town drinking a few beers and met up with some Courage Mechs ..... who then told us of what had gone down , a horrible feeling that was , shocked is an understatment . So we bought a round of drinks for everyone and toasted his memory .

I will never forget that day .
Old 16 May 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2880990)   #19
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few of mine.

JJ Lehto's drive in the McLaren at night in the rain.

Repsol Porsche blowing up with 15 min to go, what an epic drive by the team in a car the "expert's" said would not be suitable (long tailed version)

Rondeau's win - the last few hours with Ickx bearing down, saved by a rain shower and driving the last few laps on slicks

Mazda's win all as said before

Porsche 911 that had the bonnet flip up on the last few laps, the driver looking out the side window holding off another 911 for the last lap or so, cannot remember the year or team though

Probably a few more that I will remember in 10 minutes time

Simon
Old 16 May 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2881068)   #20
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL View Post

Repsol Porsche blowing up with 15 min to go, what an epic drive by the team in a car the "expert's" said would not be suitable (long tailed version)

Rondeau's win - the last few hours with Ickx bearing down, saved by a rain shower and driving the last few laps on slicks

Simon
Yep the repsol prosche, the disbelif was painful to watch, but thats Le Mans and Rondeau winning was very special. (one to forget was the coach trip home with 50 damp brits, my union jack was never the same again either)

The other one that has just come to me the Emka Aston taking the lead due the phasing of the pit stops.

I dared to believe that it might even win!!

A non racing one, anyone else remember the time all the hawian tropic girls bikini tops fell off?
Old 16 May 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2881116)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I was at Mulsanne corner (signal pits) in 89 when he did the same thing ..... ran about the car , took the engine cover off and cried .

When I heard the same had happened to him in 90 , my heart went out to him . Especially since Larrauri had had an accident in the support race and nearly all the driving duties were covered by Brun and Pareja , and they rose to the challange .

So many sad moments to remember too . I was there at the test weekend when Enjolras lost his head when he landed upside down just after Arnage . My brother and I didnt know what had happened , a marshall told us the black cloud was the demise of the blue Pilot Ferrari 333SP ..... after the test we were in town drinking a few beers and met up with some Courage Mechs ..... who then told us of what had gone down , a horrible feeling that was , shocked is an understatment . So we bought a round of drinks for everyone and toasted his memory .

I will never forget that day .

Enjolras was driving a WR for Gerard Welter in 97.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 May 2011 at 17:10.
Old 16 May 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2881117)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
A non racing one, anyone else remember the time all the hawian tropic girls bikini tops fell off?

Sadly before my time, I suspect - but I do remember when they worse those brown or gold bikinis - far nicer than the red of more recent years......
Old 16 May 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2881127)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
how could I have forgotten the hawian tropic girls, meet then in carrefore and they were just as nice close up
Old 16 May 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2881137)   #24
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL View Post
Porsche 911 that had the bonnet flip up on the last few laps, the driver looking out the side window holding off another 911 for the last lap or so, cannot remember the year or team though

Simon
I too do remember that! It happened to him before,came to the pits,had it fixed,drove out again and immediatly the bonnet came up again! Never knew he managed to hold of someone else though...

One of my best memories was during the first Le Mans Classic. Back then,it was organised in late September. Very cold at night. However,I had to see the Martini Porsche 917K (Hippie car green/deep purple livery) coming through Arnage in the dark. So we went and waited there for at least an hour and a half before it finally blew by. The acceleration out of Arnage of this 'classic' will allways be with me.
We even shared our bottle of scotch with the other folks who were attending. They,like us,needed it dearly. Seven we counted,including two gendarmes...

Another memorable moment was during Wednesday evening qualifying in 2009. I'd just met up with my english mate Dave, at the Dunlop grandstand, when Hideki Noda became fully airborne right in our direction! Closest heavy crash I ever saw. It still amazes me the team managed to get it ready for the race on Saturday...

I'll wait here. I can easilly go on for hours...
Old 16 May 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2881148)   #25
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Another memorable moment was during Wednesday evening qualifying in 2009. I'd just met up with my english mate Dave, at the Dunlop grandstand, when Hideki Noda became fully airborne right in our direction! Closest heavy crash I ever saw. It still amazes me the team managed to get it ready for the race on Saturday...
Remarkable, so by what you're saying there Hideki managed to somersault his car into oblivion for a whole year!