Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Nov 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1450395)   #1
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Dates

Looking at the Goodwood website, it looks as though they have decided on the following dates:-

Festival of Speed - 7th-9th July 2006

Revival - 1st-3rd September 2006

Hopefully it should be sunny in July!!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1450410)   #2
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is there any criteria for doing the revival meeting? minimum experience etc, I'd love to do it - but I feel my lack of experience will count agianst me.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1450420)   #3
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The STIG I don't know what experience you have but that should not count against you otherwise how can you gain the experience. I don't know about the FOS as I don't do it but the revival meeting is probably oversubscribed and yet I guess the BARC will try and fit in as many people as they can but there will always be some that don't get invited. Probably the main criteria is being available for all three days, when the forms come out next year put yourself down for it.

Early September, hmm should still nice and warm - Balders
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1450443)   #4
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade
The STIG I don't know what experience you have but that should not count against you
About 3 days!

Might as well give it a go though, isn't there something with period clothing in operation at the revival - how does that effect the marshals?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1450489)   #5
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival meeting takes on it`s usual fantastically orchestrated clash with A1GP at Brands.

Oh, Not again......
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1450522)   #6
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stig, the best you can do is to do as many BARC meetings as you can in 2006. The FoS is heavily oversubscribed, besides, it's better to spectate. Sooo many stalls to browse!

The only period clothing requirement is those on posts near Start/Finish are issed with white probans, tres chic! The rest of us wear orange as per, or dress up like 1050's spivs or Bank Managers.

Is it true about the date clash? Don't these people have telephones? Grr!!!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1450534)   #7
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
THe second bit of my garbled contribution refers to the Revival meeting. Sorry, "Senior Moment" - Again!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1450568)   #8
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/ne...asp?NewsID=998

But it`s still early days.....
Old 2 Nov 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1450671)   #9
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your goodwood applications are generally helped if you can do all three days, not just the weekend.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1450776)   #10
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall last year that at this stage we had the same problems with dates. Is there any need to get excited at this stage? Why not wait until after Christmas at which time the organisers may have sorted themselves out. I just hope that they appreciate unless they get together there could be a shortage of marshals at some meetings.
I certainly will be waiting until January before I decide?
Old 3 Nov 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1451289)   #11
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think both the A1GP and Revival were oversubscribed this year, so maybe it won't matter if they are on the same weekend. It may just mean that they are adequately manned (personned).
Old 3 Nov 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1451306)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
The rest of us wear orange as per, or dress up like 1050's spivs or Bank Managers.
I never fancied this meeting, but the chance to wear 1050's clothes shouldn't be misssed. I'll dig out my bodkin and codpiece especially - I suspect that the full armour might slow me down thorugh the gravel unless I'm allowed to ride my trusty steed to the incident
Old 3 Nov 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1451310)   #13
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I never fancied this meeting, but the chance to wear 1050's clothes shouldn't be misssed. I'll dig out my bodkin and codpiece especially - I suspect that the full armour might slow me down thorugh the gravel unless I'm allowed to ride my trusty steed to the incident
Pritthee sire, Me thinks thy has't gone funny in thy head, for thou to sprout such nonsence!

back to normality. is the 1950s dress essential?
Old 3 Nov 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1451313)   #14
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay
I think both the A1GP and Revival were oversubscribed this year, so maybe it won't matter if they are on the same weekend. It may just mean that they are adequately manned (personned).
Does'nt matter unless you want to do both.

As for the oversubscribed/adequately manned part of your arguement, a lot of the marshals at the events this year were at both.

Lemme see, on the post at Goodwood, 'bout half did the A1 GP.

At the A1GP, again, half were at Goodwood the previous weekend.

So I guess there are a lot of us that want to do both. Get it sorted BARC/BRSCC/yer Lordship/MSV/Goodwood/MSA
Old 3 Nov 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1451348)   #15
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Sorry about that! My Tardis overshot by 900 years! 1950's it is. Mind you, the Britoxcart race into the Knight would be joust the ticket! I think I need a lie down...
Old 3 Nov 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1451349)   #16
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The STIG is not essential, depends where you get to marshal, in brief the posts around the startline, 1,2, 12 and 13, if you are there then you need to wear something in the style of, or the white period overalls provided by the circuit. If you are working on the track, course/fire then yes wear the white's, if you happen to flag the choice is yours, either the whites or maybe a jacket and tie, you certainly don't have to go out spending money, so don't worry about that. If you get allocated any of the other posts then normal orange overalls are all you would need.

For me it is best meeting of the year, not to be missed and dressing up is just part of it and gets you in the atmoshere, please don't think that it is a fancy dress affair party it is not, put your name and if you get invited just enjoy it for what it is worth. Balders
Old 3 Nov 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1451659)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
Sorry about that! My Tardis overshot by 900 years! 1950's it is. Mind you, the Britoxcart race into the Knight would be joust the ticket! I think I need a lie down...
No worries, I should have resisted, but some opportunities are just too good to miss! I now return you to the topic from which I departed.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1451893)   #18
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wah! (Need a 'toys thrown out of pram' smilie)
I want to do both A1GP and the Revival again. They're top of my list for 'must do' next year.
I really hope they do sort it out so they don't clash.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1451932)   #19
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, the problem of them both on the same date, it looks like it's F1 and Bernie's fault.

A1GP has positioned itself in the market so that it's live TV coverage does not clash with F1. This year was eventually OK because although they moved it to the same weekend as the Brazilian GP the time difference made 2 live global TV racing events possible.
Then the revival likes to attract current F1 people, so has to hold it on a non F1 weekend.

This years F1 calender has back to back Spa and Monza on September 10th &17th (or vice versa).

So both of them want September 3rd. Maybe the 24th is just possible for A1GP, but I reckon that date's just too late for the revival. Neither can move to one or two weeks later. There you have it, as I suspected, it's all Bernie's fault that the marshals (and others of course) in the South East get screwed. Sod.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1451966)   #20
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Perhaps they could hold the revival meeting at Brands during the A1GP meet.

Problem solved.

Bet they never thought of that one.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1451983)   #21
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would choose the Revival over the Grand Prix. However I can see an admin problem if they are on the same weekend.
I have already volunteered for the GP, and will volunteer for the Revival when the request comes through. As this is usually not until later in the year, you dont know you have been selected? Will BARC be getting information out early to avoid an administration nightmare if marshals change at the last minute? Of course knowing the way clubs operate we could also have several other meetings to choose from. Perhaps someone should create a poll. GP, Revival, or other?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1452004)   #22
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Perhaps they could hold the revival meeting at Brands during the A1GP meet.

Problem solved.

Bet they never thought of that one.

They could send the A1GP to Goodwood
Old 4 Nov 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1452048)   #23
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
If you remember i had a hard enough job trying to convince one A1 driver not to show-boat too much as its frowned upon by those on high.

But i did say dont do it in front of the house where most of the spectators and cameras are.