Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2001, 06:32 (Ref:119522)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is racing in the 2001/02 TOCA series?

Who is going to race in the TOCA series? There's only about two months until it kicks off, and yet entries are very lean. Sadly, I would not be surprised if is abandoned half way through...

Paul Morris might race, Henderson probably won't and Owen Kelly is also unlikely to take to the track. With Peter Hills banned from racing on drug chargers, David Auger is about the only top runner still left...

As for the TOCA Tourers, Greg East will campaign his Magna, and I'm sure they'll be a few Commodores and Falcon's, but apart from that, I can't think of any other competitors.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 07:47 (Ref:119532)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Morris said he was undecided. Why wouldn't Henderson or Kelly. Gurr , I have been told he has had numerous offers. Miller has got 2 Camry's, you would think, Cornish told me if he was trying to do something, Aaron McGill seems like he might do something, Sam Dale should be in, Do you think hills might have a turn around and compete, What about Zonneveld, and what are you talking , Luke Searle is going to be there , what a legend , and someone was buying Downard apparently last year, could they field a 2 car team, Paul Leabeater, Claude Elias maybe, will someone purchase the 2 Pugs. Kiel Johnston, damn woman you should give things more thought.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 10:28 (Ref:119566)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kelly- Hmmm, where is he going to get his money from? Thermo King had a breif run with Faulkner, appart from that...

Gurr may have had offers, but wouldn't STs be a step back for him now that he is a front runner in Fholden? I'd imagine he would be in FHolden to step into some international class. Also McGill- I wonder how much he will have to pay in $$$ for the Falcon he was piloting that was written off at Lakeside the other week?

Bring back Mal Rea!
Old 26 Jul 2001, 06:50 (Ref:121929)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not John Henderson - his team sent me this e-mail, which makes his intentions quite clear:

Hello Scott
We have not finalised our plans yet, but their is a strong possiblity that John will contest the V8 Konica series next
year - so they had better be ready for us.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards from John Henderson Racing
Old 26 Jul 2001, 08:11 (Ref:121953)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was under the impression that John Henderson Racing didn't reply emails, but obviously he does. A strong possibility , is not a certainity as is shown in Super Tourers, with all those manufacturer deals and cool cars falling through in the past. And where in that email did it read, We will not be contesting the BOC GASES ASTC, read in between the lines, or in your case read the words on the page, and then look for an answer, don't assume stuff that will damage any sport. Why would he quit though he's got's a good chance of taking the title this year. The Konica doesn't start untill next year and is only a 6 round championship, that isn't a championship is it? How come people will not talk down Konica V8's, when the only top teams iare run by the Gibson team and team Dynamic and Garry Rodgers. In the St's you got Nemo Racing , hi Tech Motorsport and Team Mondeo Signiture Secure team. Plus there's others like Tony Quinn , a respected name. So why bag it when the V8's are the same. Also Crash, I've talked to Alan via email I'd believe him before I believed you, no disrespect, but who is Alan Gurr him or you , and he has always enjoyed Super Touring and at the state of Formula Holden at the moment, you'd be taking everything that comes your way. Super Touring is recognised all over the worls , so this is helping. Not like the problems Aus Drivers are having overseas, Mark , Mark who.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 22:39 (Ref:122302)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...sigh....

The season is about 2 months away, and neither Morris, Hills, Henderson, Gurr and Newman have committed to the series. It was great- but i aint any longer. It's a shame that those top, 'professional' teams you mention as yet haven't made up their mind whether or not they will be entering the championship yet...

Where exactly does Tony Quinn fit into the Super Touring scheme of things?
Old 27 Jul 2001, 00:40 (Ref:122332)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T Wrote
Quote:
The Konica doesn't start untill next year and is only a 6 round championship, that isn't a championship is it?
Looks like the Konicas have more rounds than TOCA will have cars on the starting grid at this stage.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 05:01 (Ref:122402)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buckshot, not a bad call, hopefully it won't come true.

I heard that Newman had the cars taken off him because someone else owned them (anyone know who?), thats what Gurr said anyway, and he said he did plan to enter the series. I think D.R.T meant Mike Quinn, who run's Jamie Miller's Camry's, not Tony Quinn.

Is Malcolm Rea planning to make his once a year appearance at Lakeside for round 1. He only seems to show at QLD rounds ( i know he's a Queenslander) but at Bathurst 99 he had 2 cars, and remember Brad Stratton at Round 2 last year, finishing 6th in race 2 in that old Carina. On Malcolm, what happened to the two Corrolla's he was building for 1997, he had one totally finished and one nearly done, a 1997 AA says, and Andrej Pavicivic was meant to drive, and someone at the end of 1996 brought out 2 BTCC Vectra's for the 97 series, they actually reached Australia, where are they, and what happened to Shane Portass Primera from 97?

Super Touring is turning into NASCAR and FHolden, heaps of cars in the country but hardly anyone actually races them.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 10:49 (Ref:122516)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ahhh, long live Mal Rea.... I wish I had the time to write his biography....

From what I gather, one of his cars now has a h-pattern gearbox installed in it. The other car...well after Brad finished that race, it promptly **** itself before making it so far as the kink on the slow down lap. For the most part, I believe it was repaired quickly. I for one want Mal out there, the series needs a character .
Old 3 Aug 2001, 06:50 (Ref:125481)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

Malcom Rea , I can remember his argument with Wayne Wakefield at Bathurst in 98 then continued it on in Auto Action, AA said that they wanted it to end and fighting was bad for all concerned, however they still printed the letters, one of AA many mistakes. Sam dale and Aaron McGill should be there, Auger defineltly, plus Searle , 2 Camry's , 2 carina's , plus a nissan and vetra and even Claude elias is looking at competing if he can get some sponsors so if you have some money , throw it his way. People nevr gave it a chance and when it was strong, now that the championship is weaker no one still wants to give it a fair go.
Old 3 Aug 2001, 11:21 (Ref:125526)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I don't necessarily want to knock Mal, but what chance do you give him of actually turning up this year?

I know I'm a big WW, but old Mal was getting a little upset over spilt milk. Ok, his car was damaged, but the most costly thing to repair was the broken upright, which was illegal, and had to be replaced anyways...

The Vecta hasn't been confirmed yet, and the second Camry? So that leaves you with 7 cars....
Old 3 Aug 2001, 12:20 (Ref:125546)   #12
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still remember Rea turning up at an Eastern Creek practice day and not making it past the end of pitlane. He then later turned up at Bathurst on the Saturday and...well that was about it.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 05:29 (Ref:126032)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

Mal definetly is a bit of a character and I do think he will turn up this year, why wouldn't he. You can't have any positive thoughts towards this category. Downard was also in discussion with a buyer for his BMW last year, so thats a maybe, the vectra and nissan maybe, Leabeater, is anything happening with newmans pugs, Paul Morris hasn't said anything definate yet?, what about Saunders the orange BMW at Mallala, Cornish ?, Gurr?, Stones?,the Fords Mondeo's, anyone one going to purchase them? there's potential and you's just won't give it a go.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 08:58 (Ref:126067)   #14
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Morris said essentially no to me.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 08:44 (Ref:126503)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

May I ask where's the media release , or any other staement he would have put with that. Did he say what he was doing with the cars.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 12:17 (Ref:126572)   #16
elephino
Veteran

As soon as i can find the time to transcribe the interview, yes.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 13:34 (Ref:126605)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
DRT- read Auto Action and Motorsport News for the recent interviews with him....and why don't you just believe us?
Old 7 Aug 2001, 01:51 (Ref:126896)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like he will pull out, he even admitted that last years series was very easy for him.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 07:45 (Ref:126988)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, he didn't over use his brakes, petrol, accelerator...
Old 8 Aug 2001, 11:53 (Ref:127512)   #20
elephino
Veteran

3rd gear...
Old 8 Aug 2001, 12:03 (Ref:127514)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
touche and second for that matter
Old 11 Aug 2001, 05:57 (Ref:128772)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

With 40kg per race win, I wouldn't see him doing it that easy again.
Old 11 Aug 2001, 06:23 (Ref:128778)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Rightyo....maybe if they started exchanging the lead for parts on the car, like the engine, diff, driver...