Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 May 2024, 18:48 (Ref:4210013)   #1
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2024 BTCC Rds. 7/8/9 - Snetterton 25/26 May

BTCC is at Snetterton this weekend.

Timetable

Entry List

BARC Online Noticeboard

TSL

Support Series in Action:
British F4, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB, MINI JCW, Radical Cup UK

ITV Sport Qualifying = 15:30 - 16:25 SATURDAY [stream start-time TBC]
ITV4 Raceday = 10:50 - 18:20 SUNDAY

Entries:

BTCC - 21
Welcome Bobby Thompson!

Porsche Sprint Challenge GB - 23 (8 RS Pro + 7 RS Am + 4 CS Pro + 4 CS Am)
RS is the new Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS which should be at least 4-5 seconds a lap quicker than the old Cayman GT4 ClubSport.

British F4 - 22
No change from Brands Hatch

MINI Challenge JCW - 19 (14 JCW + 5 JCW Sport)
Mostly the same grid as at Brands Hatch. There seems to not be a guest car this weekend.

Radical Cup UK - 18 (11 SR3 + 7 SR1)
A smaller grid than usual for the Radicals (down from 24 entries at Donington).
Old 22 May 2024, 19:09 (Ref:4210015)   #2
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Concerning the guest Mini drive, the series posted today or yesterday that the driver had pulled out and the car was now available for any late callers.
Old 22 May 2024, 19:18 (Ref:4210020)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Mostly the same grid as at Brands Hatch. There seems to not be a guest car this weekend.

Radical Cup UK - 18 (11 SR3 + 7 SR1)
A smaller grid than usual for the Radicals (down from 24 entries at Donington).
First Mini Challenge race on Saturday is the rescheduled Round 2 carried over from Donington. Only drivers entered for Donington will be allowed to race and grid is already set from Donington qualifying (Tom Ovenden on pole)

Likewise the first Radical Cup race in the rescheduled Round 3. Haven't seen a press release to confirm but I assume the same entry / grid rules will apply.
Old 22 May 2024, 19:24 (Ref:4210023)   #4
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
First Mini Challenge race on Saturday is the rescheduled Round 2 carried over from Donington. Only drivers entered for Donington will be allowed to race and grid is already set from Donington qualifying (Tom Ovenden on pole)

Likewise the first Radical Cup race in the rescheduled Round 3. Haven't seen a press release to confirm but I assume the same entry / grid rules will apply.
Yes, in the MINIs it doesn't exclude anyone as the points-eligible entries here are the same as at Donington.

I would also assume so. When Porsche ran the replacement race at Brands Hatch they were generous and let Hosking and Stirling race, but they weren't permitted to score points in it.
Old 23 May 2024, 09:46 (Ref:4210066)   #5
ScottS
Rookie

ScottS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if there are any changes to the qualifying format for this round? I try and look at the bright side of things, but I cannot see the current format really working at this track with it being so long.

I watched the TCR qualifying that had more cars on track than the BTCC will have in the final qualifying session and the track looked barron in TCR's. If the front wheel drive cars are still going to do tyre swaps, are we in for 1 or 2 flying laps per session when you take out the time for the 2 outlaps and tyre crossing?

I'm guessing the BMW's will do their normal and cruise around for 2 or 3 laps before setting 1 or 2 fast laps. Then they will save the tyres if there is any time left.

It just feels like it's going to be 75% faffing per session and 25% action on a very empty race track. That's IF there is no red flags during each session.

Hopefully, I'm proved very wrong and it'll be a very exciting Saturday fingers crossed.
Old 23 May 2024, 10:30 (Ref:4210067)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

This is something that I mentioned a couple of times in one of the threads, and would apply, possibly/probably, at Croft, Oulton, Thruxton and Brands GP circuit.
Old 23 May 2024, 13:21 (Ref:4210082)   #7
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like might be the only one but I don't really the criticism the new quali format gets. The small number of cars on the track doesn't really concern me as I don't watch qualifying sessions but even if then for the old format you could've just tuned in for the last 5mins to see how the grid is shaped for the race. Watching qualifying has never been particularly interesting for me (unless it's a shootout format) but what can make it thrilling is seeing how everyone fares and what the order can be. With the new format it always seems exciting to see who's in and who's out - something goes wrong and a frontrunner may be out after only one session. Previously, I'd usually just open live timing for the last couple of minutes to see who's where and that's it, whereas now I'm following the results of every stage of the quali. Who knows, maybe the change was directed at people like me but IMO it's a more interesting format.
Old 23 May 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4210083)   #8
mick bennett
Rookie

mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pointless exercise ,a waste of time.

Revert back to "normal" qualifying and dump Hybrid as its a total waste of money. Much cheaper to use a lump of lead !!
Old 23 May 2024, 15:15 (Ref:4210089)   #9
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect the new qualifying format is considerable better than the old one if you’re at the track on the Saturday.

More time with the cars on track is always going to be a good thing.

Also maybe it’s just me but i don’t get how people have the energy to complain about stuff they can’t change. Either the racing is good or it isn’t, everything else is just gonna happen anyway, whether that’s hybrid, option tyres, driver changes, pit stops, ballast, joker laps… as long as there’s a battle for position somewhere, none of the rest of it really matters.

Last edited by Robin Marriott; 23 May 2024 at 15:20.
Old 23 May 2024, 16:22 (Ref:4210091)   #10
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I suspect the new qualifying format is considerable better than the old one if you’re at the track on the Saturday.

More time with the cars on track is always going to be a good thing.

Also maybe it’s just me but i don’t get how people have the energy to complain about stuff they can’t change. Either the racing is good or it isn’t, everything else is just gonna happen anyway, whether that’s hybrid, option tyres, driver changes, pit stops, ballast, joker laps… as long as there’s a battle for position somewhere, none of the rest of it really matters.
so true

what about the ones that say that they don’t or hardly ever watch the btcc anymore but still come on here and complain about things
Old 23 May 2024, 17:21 (Ref:4210095)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
My only real issue with Snetterton is how long a lap it is.
Old 23 May 2024, 17:27 (Ref:4210096)   #12
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So let's get this right. We need to go back to the old format because the new format won't work on this track? A track that this format hasn't ever ran on before? Yep that makes sense.

Again much like hybrid. It's here. You don't have to love it. You don't have to live with it in your own life if you don't want too. They've decided this is the direction the series is taking for now. It's certainly not going to change at the third track of the season is it.

I get being critical after the session if it doesn't work but writing it off before hand seems a bit weird to me.
Old 23 May 2024, 17:49 (Ref:4210097)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Mine is just how far away it is!
Old 23 May 2024, 18:50 (Ref:4210107)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Mine is just how far away it is!
Oh yea that as well. It’s a journey that seems never ending.
Old 24 May 2024, 07:55 (Ref:4210147)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Should be another close one. Let's see if we can get another different winner. Amazing Sutton is leading the title despite not winning, but then he has taken a podium in every race.
Old 24 May 2024, 09:08 (Ref:4210156)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Long shot here. But if anyone is watching the Porsches this weekend and there's a shot of Jack Butels car, especially the roof, if you can grab a screenshot for me I'd be most grateful

I'm sponsoring it, but haven't seen it yet, and I'm at Donington for British GT.
Old 24 May 2024, 09:50 (Ref:4210162)   #17
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to Donington and Brands and seeing the qualifying in person under the new rules - it is dull as dishwater to watch at the track, and pointless unless youre; right beside a tannoy, or following timing on your phone (which will happen for nobody at some tracks, especially Thruxton here the phone signal is terrible.) I imagine if you're paying £25 just for the day you'll be dissapointed if you're there for BTCC.
From trackside I'd rather see all cars on for a half hour giving it some stick.

Having said that, watching them back on YouTube - and I'll be watching this one live on YouTube before going on race day - it works as a TV thing, and at Brands the grid and racing that came from it worked. I expect it would be the same at Snett in the dry, but with a good chance of rain it'll likely be mixed up anyway.
Old 24 May 2024, 10:33 (Ref:4210163)   #18
tee.1s
Rookie

tee.1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Bobby T's livery for his BMW be revealed today, or will it be revealed once it breaks cover tomorrow morning for FP1?
Old 24 May 2024, 11:43 (Ref:4210171)   #19
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Saturday trackside spectators generate much profit - therefore if you can make more money by grabbing a better TV/online audience, surely we should be all for that? More people watching = better business case for sponsors and drivers.
Old 24 May 2024, 12:23 (Ref:4210174)   #20
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I doubt Saturday trackside spectators generate much profit - therefore if you can make more money by grabbing a better TV/online audience, surely we should be all for that? More people watching = better business case for sponsors and drivers.
I agree with that wholeheartedly. It's why I'm at home this Saturday! Might do that for more rounds this season - saves money on petrol and tickets!
Old 24 May 2024, 13:05 (Ref:4210178)   #21
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yes. BTCC doesn't suit longer tracks at all and the Snet 300 layout could be argued is the BTCC's least exciting all season

Wish they'd go back to the 200 layout, the extra corners add nothing imo

Disappointed these Radical things are getting a foothold onto the support schedule, they really stick out like a sore thumb amid the touring car package

Dull racing and they run pit stops? Why? their races are short as any on the package, all it does is split up the pack to make the racing even worse!

There was disappointment when Ginetta left the package but also a bit of optimism that there could be a bit of a refresh to the supports, but as much as the Legends have been starring as the support package with the out and out best racing of the weekend, usually, the Radicals have unfortunately been stinking up the programme with processions

Boot them over to British GT where they would fit in more as a rung on their ladder and give us something that actually races on track and not the pit lane.
Old 24 May 2024, 13:24 (Ref:4210180)   #22
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Long shot here. But if anyone is watching the Porsches this weekend and there's a shot of Jack Butels car, especially the roof, if you can grab a screenshot for me I'd be most grateful

I'm sponsoring it, but haven't seen it yet, and I'm at Donington for British GT.
Carrera Cup isn't racing this weekend, so nobody else will see it either!
Old 24 May 2024, 16:21 (Ref:4210200)   #23
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Add three more - Josh Price and Jamie Going both in JCW and Roan Lundy in the Dev car
Old 24 May 2024, 16:46 (Ref:4210203)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee.1s View Post
Will Bobby T's livery for his BMW be revealed today, or will it be revealed once it breaks cover tomorrow morning for FP1?
I was wondering the same. I thought I had seen something earlier in the week saying he would reveal the livery in a few days (i.e. Thurs/Fri) but maybe I just imagined that as I can't find it now
Old 24 May 2024, 17:16 (Ref:4210206)   #25
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I was wondering the same. I thought I had seen something earlier in the week saying he would reveal the livery in a few days (i.e. Thurs/Fri) but maybe I just imagined that as I can't find it now
Hopefully a case of still putting the stickers on with the tight timeframe, BTCC have posted a bunch of photos from the pit lane on Instagram including the three other BMWs but no sign of Thompson’s yet.