Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kill or cure

Booked up two weekends at Brands
Ford fest and Trucks
Only done two single days before
So lets see if it was worth buying my overalls ?
Old 22 Sep 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2762993)   #2
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are more circuits to do as well as Brands, Apple. Is it work commitments or other things that stop you from volunteering? Or given the fact that you have only managed two single days so far did you know that was all you were going to do? In which case why go the expense of buying overalls? They are not compulsory.

Not trying to put you off, its just your post begs so many questions.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2763037)   #3
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
They are not compulsory.
True, but they are A Good Idea. Apple, it's entirely up to you. The question that really only you can answer is "are you going to be doing more in the future?" If the answer is "yes," then I'd suggest that you do. If the answer is "no," or "not sure," then you don't *have* to as C9/89 says.

EDIT - Bear in mind too, that the season is close to winding down, and your intentions or circumstances may change by March, when the season begins again.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2763058)   #4
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can always ask Father Christmas to bring you a pair of probans down the chimney!!
Old 22 Sep 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2763075)   #5
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
So lets see if it was worth buying my overalls ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Bulge View Post
You can always ask Father Christmas to bring you a pair of probans down the chimney!!
I read this as Apple already has them!

Funny, I thought everyone was like me, I was 100% bitten by the Marshaling bug before i'd completed the Nadine tour of Oulton, but
definitely by the afternoon when I got to push a real life car

Some days are crap, the racings poor, the weathers appalling and your stuck at a circuit trying to get out with Car Park staff who couldn’t organise a lots of drinks in a place that sells a lot of drinks, my point is if your not exited and desperate to do your next event as soon as the wife will allow you after two events, then god help you because the bad days are going to be really bad.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2763101)   #6
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The truck meeting at Brands should be great...Trucks (the biggest thing you'll find on a UK circuit) and the Legends (the smallest) plus DMN (lots of lovely saloons), minis and goodness knows what else!! Should be fantastic!! I'm only there on the Sunday as the Birkett is calling for the Saturday, but I can't wait!
Old 22 Sep 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2763127)   #7
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Your right Darren already got the overalls
Yes work says I cant do many a year but it can only get better
And I will travel to other circuits but brands is only
40 mins away from me
The main pull for booking the truck meeting was the legends
I have seen to many trucks in my past life as
a lorry driver
Old 22 Sep 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2763157)   #8
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As you can see Apple, people are very willing to help new marshals find their way and keep coming to the meetings, I just hope the next couple of meetings are exciting for you and Im sure the trucks will be an eye opener! If they dont stir the blood then the Legends should never seen a dull race yet! Chin up mate, we are a mad bunch but friendly, so ask away chap and the peeps on here will help all they can!
Old 22 Sep 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2763179)   #9
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Holmes View Post
Funny, I thought everyone was like me, I was 100% bitten by the Marshaling bug before i'd completed the Nadine tour of Oulton, but definitely by the afternoon when I got to push a real life car
I stood out a beacon at Nadine's walkabout - I had already bought a bright, glowing, shiny set of new probans when I turned up. I guess my mind was already made up!
Got nailed the next time out at Anglesey, when the Obs came back after lunch and told me he had received a complaint from the drivers. He said they asked if I could turn down the volume on my overalls, as they were too loud ...
Old 22 Sep 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2763183)   #10
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
I stood out a beacon at Nadine's walkabout - I had already bought a bright, glowing, shiny set of new probans when I turned up. I guess my mind was already made up!
Got nailed the next time out at Anglesey, when the Obs came back after lunch and told me he had received a complaint from the drivers. He said they asked if I could turn down the volume on my overalls, as they were too loud ...

I might go and roll in a muddy puddle then
Old 22 Sep 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2763216)   #11
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I might go and roll in a muddy puddle then
Don't worry mate, after you've pushed all the cars out of the gravel during the next 2 meetings they'll be nice and dirty!.
See you at the Ford fest.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2763218)   #12
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try to rescue something from inside a tyre wall... you'll soon blend in with the rest then
Old 23 Sep 2010, 06:56 (Ref:2763365)   #13
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Just wondering,
Are the two meetings I have booked popular with marshals
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:00 (Ref:2763387)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes they are
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2763479)   #15
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Quote:
Just wondering,
Are the two meetings I have booked popular with marshals
I should bloomin' well think so!

Having a dozen 12000cc trucks hurtling around is pretty impressive, but the little Legends have everything a marshal desires - close racing, loads of overtaking and an occasional(!) clearing up operation. Never a dull moment.
The Formula Ford Festival at Brands is one of the meetings of the year for some - it is the first one they look for when the calendars come out. Same reasons, really, close racing throughout the field and occasional visits to gravel traps.

Tell the family next year is taken up with marshalling, because after those two events there will be no going back Enjoy!
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2763480)   #16
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Great no need to worry
I still need some instruction and guidance
Mick
Old 23 Sep 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2763514)   #17
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I still need some instruction and guidance
In that regard, you'll receive everything you need, once you get out there. The only things you need to do are:-

Step 1: Volunteer for an event (mention that you're new and need 'looking after')
Step 2: Show up at the appointed time and place (You should receive instructions through the post)
Old 23 Sep 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2763535)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
The only things you need to do are:-

Step 1: Volunteer for an event (mention that you're new and need 'looking after')
Step 2: Show up at the appointed time and place (You should receive instructions through the post)
Step 3. Make sure your sense of humour is intact, and sarcastic wit sharpened.
Step 4. Pack the pork pies
Old 23 Sep 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2763619)   #19
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
I should bloomin' well think so!

Having a dozen 12000cc trucks hurtling around is pretty impressive, but the little Legends have everything a marshal desires - close racing, loads of overtaking and an occasional(!) clearing up operation. Never a dull moment.
The Formula Ford Festival at Brands is one of the meetings of the year for some - it is the first one they look for when the calendars come out. Same reasons, really, close racing throughout the field and occasional visits to gravel traps.

Tell the family next year is taken up with marshalling, because after those two events there will be no going back Enjoy!

Sounds great to me

I hope its not over subscribed and I get picked
Booked it on the BMMC southeast web site hope it works
seemed very easy
Fill in the form and just click
Just waiting for the tickets to drop on to the door mat
Old 23 Sep 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2763698)   #20
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These meetings are popular but, not so busy they'll be oversubscribed, you should be find to get in for both.

Go with an open mind, relax and enjoy...they should be great meetings, although the FFF isn't for me (I'm a saloon girl and there are two many spindlies at the FFF)!
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2763724)   #21
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
seemed very easy

should be no problem marshalling at these two meetings ..... if you haven't received any info say ten days before the date then pop on here and see if there is a thread for the meeting - there is usually one that gets started near the event just to see who is going and have a natter before hand (or you can start one) ...... have an ask if nothing has arrived and you will find that if others have theirs then someone will help put you in touch with the organising club to sort yours (BARC for the trucks, BRSCC for FFF)

see you at brands
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2763730)   #22
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds great to me

seemed very easy
Apple,
now you seem to be addicted, you will have to go through three months (during winter) of cold turkey. So if you find yourself driving to circuits, in your probans, that are closed, going to cafes early on a Saturday morning to get a full breakfast or waving blue flags at cars, on the side of the motorway, don't worry, it happens.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2763747)   #23
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
So if you find yourself driving to circuits, in your probans, that are closed, going to cafes early on a Saturday morning to get a full breakfast or waving blue flags at cars, on the side of the motorway, don't worry, it happens.
You as well? I thought that was just me - at least that was what the Judge told me!!
Old 24 Sep 2010, 05:34 (Ref:2763826)   #24
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wondering where the yellow was whenever you pass a broken down car . . . . .
Old 24 Sep 2010, 06:41 (Ref:2763839)   #25
sputnik421
Racer

United Kingdom
Chichester W. Sussex
sputnik421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are still motorsport events in the winter. I do sporting trials to stop my cold turkey, but you can do rallies to. If you just can't wait for the roundy roundy season to start up again.