Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Sep 2000, 06:45 (Ref:35287)   #1
desmo
Rookie

desmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ferrari debuted a new-type brake late last season dubbed the Brembo CCR. The discs and pads are made by another undisclosed manufacturer probably American. These are said to offer better wear characteristics than Hitco or CI discs. As well the pads are said to have lower heat conductivity than conventional pads allowing smaller brake ducting with attendant increases in aero effeiciency of the entire chassis. In this image you see a comparison of the CCRs vs the previous brakes. The differences in brake ducting are obvious.

Both pads and calipers come in standard and lightweight versions suitable for varying circuits trading off wear against unsprung weight. In the above image you can see the thinner lightweight discs as fitted for the Nurburgring.

The pad wear is monitered in real time via the telemetry link by means of an indicator made by Penny & Giles mounted on a hook connected to one of the pistons.
Old 8 Sep 2000, 01:38 (Ref:35647)   #2
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ooops..Left a space at the there desmo. Here's your image re-posted.

Very interesting info desmo.....those discs are less than half the size of the previous ones. But what about their resistance to mechanical stress??
Old 8 Sep 2000, 03:43 (Ref:35668)   #3
desmo
Rookie

The problem posting multiple pics is a software glitch peculiar to the BB. I tried to edit out the spaces in the URL, but the BB software is faulty. I'll just manually type it in now.

As far as their resistance to stress, I haven't heard of any failures so apparently it is adequate. What may or may not be adequate is their stopping power. I have no way of knowing whether it's down to the brakes or the aero kits, but the Macs have braked alot better than the Ferraris this year.
Old 8 Sep 2000, 17:14 (Ref:35775)   #4
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i would have thought the braking that ferreri have would be to do with the handling rather than the actual brakes.
Old 15 Sep 2000, 07:01 (Ref:37264)   #5
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe I read an article about F1-2000 brakes in which was described how the team tested various types from various suppliers in the winterbreak. I thought the result was that they preferred another supplier over Brembo. Don't recall it's name though - something vague like Compotechnica or so. Wear and temperature household and friction chaaracteristics proved to be better than the CCR's. Maybe someone who can spot it between al those little suppliers decalls on the F1-2000?
Old 15 Sep 2000, 08:22 (Ref:37273)   #6
desmo
Rookie

They wound up using the CCRs. I'm pretty sure at least Jag are as well.