Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 May 2003, 18:05 (Ref:596170)   #1
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Many Cars?

According to an article, on autoracing1.com dated 4/10/03 (8 days after the postmark deadline for entries), there were a reported 34 cars entered into the Indy 500. ESPN reported today, there are 54 cars entered. Sam Hornish Jr. said today, when asked if he will be in the field, "I don't see any more than 33 cars here.

I'm sure the tub of the car Mario took flight in, was a write off, which would make the AR1 34 car story, match up with Sam's 33 car statement. My questions are, how many cars are entered? If more than 34, where did these cars come from? Did TG extend the deadline? Did they slip in, under the radar, after the deadline, to assure a full 33 car field?

Jeff
Old 11 May 2003, 22:37 (Ref:596410)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As always it depends on how you count.

According to the official entry list there are 70 cars entered, this is two for each driver, 1 to race and their backup car. Of these, 10 have TBA drivers. So here's how I do the math 70-10=60/2= 30 drivers actually entered in the race with a possibility of 5 more dirvers to be named to the 10 TBA cars. 1 for Foyt, 1 for Gannassi, 1 for Cheever and 2 for Penske.

The conclusion is that the field is currently short drivers and the last three cars on the grid, if they happen, will be rent-a-rides.

Last edited by Flatspot; 11 May 2003 at 22:40.
Old 11 May 2003, 22:53 (Ref:596423)   #3
cartpix
Racer

Well, according to the Oregonian (the article quoted by AR1) http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...6502238410.xml
a week after the deadline, 16 teams had entered 34 cars. At that time, there was 6 driver listed as TBA. Does this mean 68 cars? Is this "new math"?

Jeff
Old 12 May 2003, 00:23 (Ref:596481)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally posted by cartpix
Is this "new math"?
No, unfortunately it's the "new" Indy 500.
Old 12 May 2003, 02:28 (Ref:596520)   #5
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Note: Not everybody has a backup car. Greg Ray has one car and one engine...
Old 12 May 2003, 03:04 (Ref:596541)   #6
cartpix
Racer

I'm thinking, if the 34 entries equal 54 cars, including backup cars (I did notice a lot of "T" cars in the list of 54), that would mean, only 34 cars can be qualified. Bump day will be a short day, indeed. With the limited driver pool & cars, a full field may not happen.

I may not be a big IRL fan, but I AM a race fan. As a race fan, Indy still means something to me. To start with less than 33 cars, will be a sad day. Before the split, it was common to have almost 100 entries. No matter if you support IRL or CART, this is a bad thing, for American open wheel racing.

Jeff
Old 12 May 2003, 03:56 (Ref:596565)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally posted by flatlander_48
Note: Not everybody has a backup car. Greg Ray has one car and one engine...
I beg to differ. Greg Ray has entered 13 and 13T.

Here is the official entry list.
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/entry_list.php

Last edited by Flatspot; 12 May 2003 at 03:59.
Old 12 May 2003, 09:48 (Ref:596698)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cartpix
I may not be a big IRL fan, but I AM a race fan. As a race fan, Indy still means something to me. To start with less than 33 cars, will be a sad day. Before the split, it was common to have almost 100 entries. No matter if you support IRL or CART, this is a bad thing, for American open wheel racing.
I agree totally, it's a crying shame.
Old 12 May 2003, 11:41 (Ref:596788)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then again, races like the Bathurst 1000 always used to attract oversubscribed grids, nowadays there are lucky to be 40 in the race (though that is due to strict entry guidelines)

I'd say there will be 33 cars for the race.

24 qualified today, add in Vasser, Meira, Boat & Hattori who have always been entered but couldn't run today. Then you have the PDM car, 3rd entries from Ganassi, Foyt and Penske, Cheever's second car (The Ganassi, Penske and Cheever extra cars which don't really need extra funds) , there's 33 cars. Plus with all the cars that qualified today (except Sarah Fisher) assured of a race spot, some of the back-up cars may be free for a team and driver rent-a-drive.
Old 12 May 2003, 17:29 (Ref:597154)   #10
flatlander_48
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
I beg to differ. Greg Ray has entered 13 and 13T.

Here is the official entry list.
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/entry_list.php

That may be, but I was quoting an interview with Greg Ray last week. He said they were finished practicing for the day because they had "one car and one engine". While there does seem to be a conflict, perhaps the T car is not complete and would only be used if there was an unfixable problem with the primary car. Don't know the exact reason, but that was his explanation as to why they ran 20 or 30 laps in a morning session and parked the car for the afternoon (I don't remember which day, but the middle of last week sometime).
Old 12 May 2003, 19:08 (Ref:597275)   #11
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
24 are qualified. 5 more have turned laps but were unable to qualify due mostly to accidents or not being cleared in time to qualify. Here are those five.

#8 Scott Sharp, Kelley Delphi Dallara Toyota, 230.110 mph
#20 Arie Luyendyk, Meijer Mo Nunn G Force Toyota, 228.205
#98 Billy Boat, Panther, Dallara Chevrolet, 227.322
#5 Shigeaki Hattori, EPSON Foyt, Dallara Toyota, 226.506
#18 Jimmy Kite, PDM, Dallara Chevrolet, 224.202

Two more are entered but wont turn laps until this week (Vasser due to conflict with CART race in Europe, don't know what is up with Meira)

#19 Jimmy Vasser, Rahal, Dallara-Honda
#22 Vitor Meira, Menards/Johns Manville, Dallara-Chevrolet

That is 31 there. The last two plus will come from deals made this week. A typical Indy tradition during lean years. Look to see if anyone gets some seat time this week in one of these cars:

#33 Target Ganassi Racing G Force Toyota (TRD)
#66/#68 Marlboro Team Penske Dallar/G Force Toyota (Penske)
#41 A.J. Foyt Dallara/G Force Toyota (Comptech)
#51 Red Bull Cheever Racing Dallara Chevrolet (MCT)

Alex Barron is a good friend with Eddie Cheever and has done some good work with Team Penske. He has to be a good candidate for either of these. Bryan Herta ran some laps for AGR, turning in a 225.380 on Wednesday, and could well work a deal with any of the above. Aryton Dare could also wind up in a seat for A.J. Foyt if Hattori gets in early Saturday.

That should be enough. Or we may start a car or two short. Weather is still an issue.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:51 (Ref:597316)   #12
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My bad Scott Sharp has qualified. That makes 24 in, 6 more more combos identified. It looks like 224 is the speed for the first ten rows. Row eleven is a question mark.

I'll be watching to see if Alex Barron and/or Bryan Herta get a shot. Both can post 225. I think odds are only 50-50 we get a full field of 33.

Last edited by sgw2; 12 May 2003 at 19:52.
Old 12 May 2003, 22:11 (Ref:597432)   #13
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Hey Flatlander48, On my re-read of the above I think I came off kind of abrubt. Please accept my apology.

The original question of "How many cars?" and how the math works was my goal. Greg Ray may only have one car in reality, and that's a bummer. His team I'm sure entered him with a backup so if he wrecked one they could rent another car for the race. That's only smart. You still need to divide the entries by 2 to come up with grid numbers. That's what I was trying to point out.
Old 13 May 2003, 07:41 (Ref:597643)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if Bryan Herta will get a run. Isn't he the back-up driver for Robby Gordon if the race runs over his cut-off time.

There'll be 33, definatly
Old 13 May 2003, 18:46 (Ref:598205)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not according to this...
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=41118

I love this quote: "Are we going to put 'Loser' on the sidepod for a sponsor?"

Seriously though, it's not a good time to be in the pro-sports business as a whole...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 May 2003, 21:28 (Ref:598339)   #16
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no 22 car now... I was at the drawing for the qualifying order and Team Menard only drew for the 2 car for Jacques Lazier. That's really weird though because the #22 car IS on the entry list. Do you guys know what's going on with that? I'd love to see Vitor drive!
Old 13 May 2003, 23:19 (Ref:598374)   #17
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even the engine manufaturers doubt 33. Also,PDM might just call it a day, so that drops Kite.
'PDM co-owner Paul Diatlovich vowed not to run the car just to help fill the field. "We won't do that," he said. "We'll go home."'

From the Indy Star:
http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-4029-037.html
Old 14 May 2003, 02:59 (Ref:598431)   #18
flatlander_48
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Hey Flatlander48, On my re-read of the above I think I came off kind of abrubt. Please accept my apology.

The original question of "How many cars?" and how the math works was my goal. Greg Ray may only have one car in reality, and that's a bummer. His team I'm sure entered him with a backup so if he wrecked one they could rent another car for the race. That's only smart. You still need to divide the entries by 2 to come up with grid numbers. That's what I was trying to point out.

No, not a problem. Judging by your entry information and Greg Ray's statement, I'd say that he doesn't have 2 complete cars. Sounds like he's got 1 and a fraction. You know that is his own team. At one point there was speculation about George Mack joining the team, but if you don't have quite enough to run one car you aren't going to take on a second...
Old 14 May 2003, 05:43 (Ref:598476)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Meira would be p1ssed. He was originally promised a full year in a 2 car Menard team, that got dropped to a shootout for the seat, then just Indy, now nothing. A pity, he was a real star in the last few races last year.
Old 14 May 2003, 10:06 (Ref:598597)   #20
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave S
Even the engine manufaturers doubt 33. Also,PDM might just call it a day, so that drops Kite.
'PDM co-owner Paul Diatlovich vowed not to run the car just to help fill the field. "We won't do that," he said. "We'll go home."'

From the Indy Star:
http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-4029-037.html
Ouch. Indy had better be careful - the event is so much about tradition, that if people start questioning it, there isn't much left. There's a whole bunch of what sound like reliable reports in the media saying there's not going to be a full field, tickets aren't selling, etc. Check out some of the other articles in the Indy Star as an example: http://www.indystar.com/sports/racing/indy500 Ganassi, Penske and Andretti/Green seem really, really emphatic that they won't be running another car.

I can't say I've ever had any interest in the Indy 500, but, speaking as a non-American, it's depressing how far north American open-wheel racing has fallen since '95. NASCAR looks healthy enough, so I don't think the economy can be blamed?
Old 14 May 2003, 13:39 (Ref:598747)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not completely anyways, all of North American pro sports is suffering though, even baseball isn't attracting anywhere near the fans it did in 1995. Mind you, it's had its own problems, but the same is true for hockey and basketball.

Cart and the IRL would definately be healthier together. Maybe a dismal Indy 500 is what the IRL would need to encourage them to make the first move towards reconcilliation for once.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 May 2003, 15:44 (Ref:598872)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The quality of the race won't make Tony George or any of his people rethink their stance, but failing to get a 33-car grid might. The split is still damaging, in my view, and until now the 500 has been the only race to recover to its mid-90s level.
Old 14 May 2003, 20:55 (Ref:599127)   #23
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has there been any news on Shiggy Hatori? Last I heard, he broke an appendage on one of his limbs.
Old 14 May 2003, 21:40 (Ref:599166)   #24
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's cleared to drive now but Airton Dare was in his car today.
Old 14 May 2003, 22:23 (Ref:599196)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it really gets down to brass tacks, they might get 33...but don't bet on it...30 would be a better bet to make...

There is a lot of talent walking around Gasoline Alley, helmet in hand, looking for rides....

Someone solid will take Arie's seat...he has not been cleared to drive and will not run the race -- it's official according the the Indy 500 website...

I thought that Alex Barron would get a third seat with Penske, but they seemed to pull the plug on that one earlier this week in interviews after the Pole Run...

I think Foyt will run Dare...whether he replaces Hattori or runs a third car, who knows....

Tony George said they wouldn't sweeten the pot to help round out the field...but I bet he'll slip a few bucks under the table to A.J. to run one, and possibly two other cars beyond A.J IV's car and the other seat (Dare or Hattori)....does Salazar become the guy who fills it??? he's been in town since May 4th...

The talent looking for seats includes Richie Hearn, another good possibility to fill out a ride, plus (in addition to those not mentioned above) Jeff Ward, Max Papis, Robbie McGhee, Memo Gidley and PJ Jones (yes...all of them have been seen ehre in the garage ares this month and not just for a stop-by visit)...

Now it looks like Menard will stiff Meira since he feels that another Chevy-powered car "might as well have Loser printied on the side of it" this year (his quote in the Indy Star, not mine)...

I

One American Open Wheel Series!