Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Apr 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1275877)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little help needed...

Fellow Champ Car fans...
I'm planning a holiday to the US of A, and we will be in the area between NYC and Indianapolis, so could you please point me to some "racing" things to be seen in that (biggish) area?

For example... I know the Penske shop is in Reading, PA, but is there some kind of museum for visitors?

Also helpful would be pointers as to where things are, eg. roads and everything.

Thanks in advance
Old 11 Apr 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1275883)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The American Motorsport Hall of Fame is in Michigan. If want to go, let me know and I'll meet you there. It would give me a great excuse to do something I've always wanted to do! The Museum at the Indianapolis Speedway would be pretty awesome. You'd see plenty of Penske stuff there without having to go to Reading!

What dates are you talking about? Maybe you could finally see a ChampCar race!
Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1275908)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordi, how close to the border will you be, and when?
Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1275924)   #4
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't miss the Speedway or the museum at Indy. Try and find a way to fit in a ChampCar race.

About when would you be coming?
Old 12 Apr 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1276475)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About... June 13-26. Sadly far, far away from a Champ Car race (Portland). I know Cleveland is on the 26th, but that would be way too close I'm afraid. We (me and my brother) are planning to go to the United States GP. I know, I have F1 testing about an hour away from me regularly but that will be a good chance to see Indy, the Speedway and the museum. Also the tickets are cheaper than at any European F1 race.

The idea, generally, is to do some kind of road trip, with a rental car. We will fly to NY, we intend to get to Washington, get to Ohio, Indianapolis and maybe, just maybe go north of the border. All that in 2 weeks, stopping at motels and so on. It seems like a bit of a craze but we are somewhat nuts so it's just normal...
So, all around those places is where I'd need some info. I know there are a number of racetracks.. but some of them aren't really visitable (don't have museums).

Greg, how far up is the Am Hall Of Fame?

At this moment, nothing is confirmed, so I'll check again the dates to see if I can make it to Cleveland. I'd really love to see and hear the Champ Cars!
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1276505)   #6
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While in Indy, if you take Georgetown Road down to the Speedway you can see a lot of the team headquarters. I think that's pretty cool anyway. And some of them give tours...
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1276514)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The American Motorsport Hall-of-Fame is in Novi, Michigan.

Here's a link to the HoF.

Here's a link to a map of western Michigan.

On the map, zoom out to the next square below the default, and my house is along the 401 hwy just about where the map ends on the right-hand side. Not too far at all.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1276983)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Yes, I hadn't noticed you were so close to the border. Any more places along the way, in Pennsylvania, Ohio? We are likely to go through those states as well...
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1277043)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drat, I will be at Le Mans during those days! I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1277061)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I live in Indy, Jordi...

Hook up with me when you get here....the IMS Museum at the Brickyard has an incredible collection of race cars, and the admission fee is pretty cheap...

and Macdaddy's suggestion is a good one, too, if you can get there...been there, done that...great museum!!!

Finally, racefanatic's suggestion also is a great one....a suggestion that you should definitely try to do...

I would bet that if you e-mailed the teams that are HQ'ed here, told them about your love for the Series (which is obvious to me) as well as your "pilgrimage" from your country to the USA for a racing-focused visit, and when you would be in town, that you would get more than one opportunity to tour and meet with some of the OWRS teams here in "The Racing Capital of the World"

If you have specific teams that are of interest to you, I'll pinpoint their specific locations of their shops for you here to give you a little bit of advance time for your plans...

Some are on Georgetown Rd., others are on a thoroughfare known as "Gasoline Alley" in Speedway, and others are in locations a little farther away from Speedway, Indiana, but still on the northwest side of town...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1277561)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Wow, that's a lot of help guys

Tim, I'll let you know something when I know something. Me and my brother are finalising details (money and also the specific days), and also the exact route we'll take. I hope to know something more before the end of the month.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1277565)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keep me posted...and I do hope you can schedule it so that you can catch the Cleveland Race...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1277580)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
You see, before seeing Long Beach, I didn't think much about it, but now the Champ Car bug's bitten me again, I really want to go to Cleveland!
Old 14 Apr 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1277908)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If you are passing through Pittsburgh on a Friday, a trip to Lernerville Speedway could be arranged! American Oval Racing at it's roots.

The feedback I have gotten re: Indy and the Speedway Tour/Museum is that it is all Top Stuff.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1278426)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
OK now, the Cleveland race is off, my brother has told me we will be returning on the 22nd or 23rd. Shame... but I'm sure Champ Car will be alive many years for me to come and see it