Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:04 (Ref:323692)   #1
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help some kids

Hey gang,

The Eureka High School Motorsports NASPORT racing team, (NASPORT is a cross between SCCA Club racing and an all out pro effort), has qualified for the SCCA National Championship "Valvoline Runoffs" race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio, in September and need to raise some money for the trip, entry fees, hotels, etc.

The Eureka High School auto mechanics\shop class instructor, Larry Hansen, is the driver and the kids in the class are the crew. They built the car themselves, and have done pretty well with it, and I'd just like to help them get there if I could.

In the NASPORT racing series in 1994, they placed 3rd in their class (GT3). In 1997, they placed 2nd. 1998, 3rd. 1999, 2nd. In 2000, they placed 3rd. Now they've qualified for the SCCA National Championship and they need about $10,000.00 to make the trip.

And that is why I would like to help. It's a shame to see potential winners not make it to the track. If you would like to help these kids make this race, it would be most appreciated. Any and all donations will be gratefully accepted. For more information please go to this website, Eureka High School Motorsports Fundraising. Thank you for your support.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:49 (Ref:324209)   #2
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Tim, I'll stick this on top for a bit so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 17:15 (Ref:324269)   #3
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Thanks, Lars.

I do a lot of community service volunteer stuff, and as you know I've never brought it up here before. I only do it now because it's about kids and racing. And I'm not going to hard sell anybody, but I'd sure appreciate it if the kind folks of this forum would take a buck or two and drop it in the mail. The kids will appreciate it a lot!
Old 29 Aug 2002, 00:23 (Ref:367871)   #4
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Update:

Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who donated a buck or two to help these kids get to this race. I don't know how many of you did, or even if any of you did, but thanks anyway.

They are going to make it. And I hope they come home Champions.

Last edited by Tim B; 29 Aug 2002 at 00:24.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 02:55 (Ref:367933)   #5
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Glad to hear they are making the trip!
Old 29 Aug 2002, 05:25 (Ref:367966)   #6
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Yep, they are. They didn't quite make the $10,000.00 they wanted to, so instead of flying they're going to drive, and instead of hotel rooms they going to camp in the infield. But they are going to make it, and that's great.

The race will be shown on TV in small parts over several sucessive weekends, but not until November, on the Speed Channel. It's a 7 day long thing similar to speedweeks. Different parts will be shown starting at noon eastern time on November 9th and 10th, 16th and 17th, 23rd and 24th, 30th and December 1st, 7th and 8th, 14th and 15th, for 2 hours each day. They probably will be showing different classes on different weekends. (The Eureka team is in the GT 3 class.)

Here's the latest poop on the race, Valvoline Runoffs.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 09:24 (Ref:388687)   #7
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Update:

Larry Hansen, driving the #99 Eureka High School Motorsports Nissan came in 2nd in Class at the SCCA Valvoline Runoffs National Championship Race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, .391 seconds behind leader Michael Cyphert of Chagrin Falls, Ohio.

Valvoline Runoffs GT3 Class Race Results

"The track was very slippery and I didn't want to spin, so I was taking it easy. I guess I slowed a little too much, because Mike [Cyphert] caught me. I just didn't have enough to get it done today. I have three current Eureka High School students with me this week and two former students. They built this car as a student project and did a fantastic job." Larry Hansen

I also found out that the race will be shown on the Speed Channel on Sunday December 8th, at 1:00pm EST.

Last edited by Tim B; 26 Sep 2002 at 09:30.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 03:26 (Ref:389434)   #8
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Great Job!!!
Old 27 Sep 2002, 09:54 (Ref:389629)   #9
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
I thought so... A bunch of high school kids and a teacher coming within .391 seconds of being the SCCA GT3 Class National Champions... That ain't bad at all.