Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 27 Oct 2007, 22:31 (Ref:2052933)   #1
onenastyviper
Rookie

onenastyviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mk2 Fiesta Project

Hi. I now have a volunteered Mk2 Fiesta 950cc(?) car.
I have been given this with the aim of turning it into a racing car...
does anyone have any ideas?
I have asked before about turning it ino an XR2 spec car but I am looking for any ideas really?

regards PK
Old 28 Oct 2007, 07:57 (Ref:2053049)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Deopends on how much you want to spend on it and what you want to race it in.
You may have been better starting with an XR2 as you will have all the anti roll bars and other bits you will need etc. I think the 950 body is the same so it wont need much strenghtening.
You could go for a good 1600 CVH engine and box or take a look at this site for some more ideas
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:00 (Ref:2053195)   #3
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cheapest and easiest race conversion job would be to turn it into an xr2 - although it would really be better still to start with a 'real' xr2. Next step up would be to drop in an rs turbo engine but these can be a bit fragile for full race use. Better still would be to install a 2.0 Zetec. All this depends on where you want to race and who with as regulations means you might not be able to do some things with your car and if you've racing in a modified class you will need quite a big budget to be competitive.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 13:23 (Ref:2056886)   #4
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HT Racing for the engine approx £3500 Leda or Gaz for the suspenion £1000 Hi spec for the brakes £600 and try George Newton for car prep work cage, paint, bodywork, tyres etc. If you run in the DMN champs look at the regs first. www.rodbirley.com
If is best to build a car to fit the regs than build it then try to fit it in somewhere
Graham
Old 1 Nov 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2056911)   #5
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenastyviper
Hi. I now have a volunteered Mk2 Fiesta 950cc(?) car.
I have been given this with the aim of turning it into a racing car...
does anyone have any ideas?
I have asked before about turning it ino an XR2 spec car but I am looking for any ideas really?

regards PK
As others have said, what series do you want to race in ? - If your'e in the se, Barc Tintops wouldn't be a bad place to start- especially if you have absolutely no money. You'll have to buy a cage, seat, harness, extinguisher and cut off switches ( you may get some secondhand if you can be sure of the source i.e. don't buy a harness thats been in an accident, or out of date - check the blue book before buying anything.)
Continuing on the no money assumption, I'd pick up a rotten XR2 and use the relevant bits, but make the car as light as you are allowed - this costs time not money. make sure the XR2 brakes are good, and buy a set of shocks /springs that are not overcomplicated or expensive - 3 way adjustables on an old fiesta in your first season - a slight waste of valuable money methinks. Run a standard engine, and accept that at the quicker circuits many of your rivals will drive off into the distance. Run it like this for a season, and you'll really know what to spend your money on, and be glad you didn't buy all the shiny bits you didn't really need in the first year.
Well that's what I'd do

Alan

p.s. Whatever you do , make sure that you enjoy it !
Old 1 Nov 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2056969)   #6
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
As others have said, what series do you want to race in ? - If your'e in the se, Barc Tintops wouldn't be a bad place to start- especially if you have absolutely no money. You'll have to buy a cage, seat, harness, extinguisher and cut off switches ( you may get some secondhand if you can be sure of the source i.e. don't buy a harness thats been in an accident, or out of date - check the blue book before buying anything.)
Continuing on the no money assumption, I'd pick up a rotten XR2 and use the relevant bits, but make the car as light as you are allowed - this costs time not money. make sure the XR2 brakes are good, and buy a set of shocks /springs that are not overcomplicated or expensive - 3 way adjustables on an old fiesta in your first season - a slight waste of valuable money methinks. Run a standard engine, and accept that at the quicker circuits many of your rivals will drive off into the distance. Run it like this for a season, and you'll really know what to spend your money on, and be glad you didn't buy all the shiny bits you didn't really need in the first year.
Well that's what I'd do

Alan

p.s. Whatever you do , make sure that you enjoy it !
I would think that engine, brakes and suspension are oily bits not unecessary shiny bits, and a gearbox from Roger Ebdon £600
If the engine etc is done properly at first you will not have to build and re-build the car several times (as I have found to my cost) If you run standard suspension and brakes you will crash even XR2 stuff, aim for the Tin Tops first and DMN later on.
The cheepest way is to buy a built XR2 and the add your ideas later, secondhand XR2 racer £1000-£2000 www.racecarsdirect.com or www.fastroadandtrack.co.uk there are lots about just now, check them out for all the right and expensive parts, or even buy one and use as a parts bin for you project. The bits are more expensive than a whole built car!!!
Graham

Last edited by grichie87; 1 Nov 2007 at 15:01.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 15:17 (Ref:2056988)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It depends on your budget but I know of a Scottish XR2 Championship car for sale that has done well in its current owners hands.

One thing is I'm not sure of the differences in regulations between the Scottish, and for example the BRSCC Fiesta Series.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 08:41 (Ref:2057501)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have a brand new Quaife MT75 Torque Bias diff, if anybody wants it for not a lot of money !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Nov 2007, 10:12 (Ref:2057584)   #9
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grichie87
I would think that engine, brakes and suspension are oily bits not unecessary shiny bits, and a gearbox from Roger Ebdon £600
If the engine etc is done properly at first you will not have to build and re-build the car several times (as I have found to my cost) If you run standard suspension and brakes you will crash even XR2 stuff, aim for the Tin Tops first and DMN later on.
The cheepest way is to buy a built XR2 and the add your ideas later, secondhand XR2 racer £1000-£2000 www.racecarsdirect.com or www.fastroadandtrack.co.uk there are lots about just now, check them out for all the right and expensive parts, or even buy one and use as a parts bin for you project. The bits are more expensive than a whole built car!!!
Graham

Dear Borris,
I wasn't suggesting engine , gearbox, brakes were shiny bits. Shiny bits would be triple adjusting dampers in your first season in a productionish saloon, taper throttle bodies, etc etc.
When I first started, it was in an Si Challenge spec Fiesta ( 1800 zetec ) The engine was standardish, the gearbox was standard, and the brake discs and calipers ( though not pads ) were standard - all to keep within the rules of the series. Car wasn't competitive in an open series,but was great fun, and I didn't come last - all I was trying to say ( I think ) was you don't need to build the ultimate car before you come out to play, also with a season under your belt, you may choose to spend your hard earned differently with the experience gained.

p.s. good luck for tomorrow - I'm not out to play until 11th at Brands

Alan